The mkiv Supra Owners Club

forum owned track supras, register and chat thread.

dr_jekyll

nice one mate thanks for posting up :) will watch the vids another time as works computer says no :(

Which circuit is it? how does it feel after the coilover change?

must get a few pics up myself, had my second outing last Sunday, was back at Blyton for the first round of the TSS.

here's a couple of pics from the blyton park track day early last month. I'll put the sprint pics up when they become available too.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/541694_10151614149604085_1468734527_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/59730_10151453522699735_1647730658_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/553231_10151614149344085_230498311_n.jpg

I know its nothing compared to the other cars in this thread but thought i'd share :blush:

here's a couple of pics from the blyton park track day early last month. I'll put the sprint pics up when they become available too.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/541694_10151614149604085_1468734527_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/59730_10151453522699735_1647730658_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/553231_10151614149344085_230498311_n.jpg

I know its nothing compared to the other cars in this thread but thought i'd share :blush:

Awesome mate, looking good :)

Got any vids?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/225658_458103204264328_335400256_n.jpg

:love: this pic. Gotta love an elevation shot! :cool:

Nice vids too matey. Makes me want to get out and get driving even more! :woot:

Nah, looks good matey. :) Liking the green wheels!

:love: this pic. Gotta love an elevation shot! :cool:

Nice vids too matey. Makes me want to get out and get driving even more! :woot:

Cheers Mate, I also love this picture :love: its my desktop background at the mo :)

I am lucky to have got any in car vids. I had to butcher an old camera mount to make it fit a GoPro after I found out that there were no external cameras allowed even though the mounts were Tiger Sealed on and the actual camera was tethered.

Unfortunately the mount I made was a little low in the car to see the track which is a shame even so it’s not too bad.

Hey all.

Been busy today getting the car ready for its first outing at Mondello this friday. The car is now running race spec pads and I sorted the obstructed view from the passanger side mirror

The problem, prior to a bit of savagery with a 9" angle grinder & Inox cutting disk

attachment.php?attachmentid=168917&d=1367872853

The result

attachment.php?attachmentid=168918&d=1367872853

While fitting the R154 and the second diff mount the idea popped into my head to do something diffuser-like at the back.

Here is what eventually materialised, the first two were early in the fabrication, so no paint or side panels

attachment.php?attachmentid=168912&d=1367872528

attachment.php?attachmentid=168913&d=1367872528

attachment.php?attachmentid=168914&d=1367872528

attachment.php?attachmentid=168919&d=1367873223

attachment.php?attachmentid=168920&d=1367873223

attachment.php?attachmentid=168915&d=1367872528

attachment.php?attachmentid=168916&d=1367872528

004.JPG

006.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

008.JPG

003.JPG

001.JPG

002.JPG

004.JPG

Edited by pedrosixfour (see edit history)

Awesome mate, looking good :)

Got any vids?

Thanks man :) no vids unfortunately but i might have a play with a tiny bumper cam i've got later in the year.

Nah, looks good matey. :) Liking the green wheels!

many thanks bud :)

Pedro- love your vehicle sir. spot on, good work :)

Had a great day, for the most part, friday last. The morning was generally damp due to a couple of heavy showers but the wind and occasional sun dried the bulk of the water off within a half hour of the showers passing. Not knowing how the rest of the day was going to pan out the only sensible thing to do was hit the track and get used to the conditions. I quickly returned to the pit and altered my rear wing to maximum attack as the rear end grip was simply laughable. It helped but not by much. I really need new tyres. Wider tyres! I decided to put all my faith in my bald R888s & get out there while the track was still wet so I could get the new race pads bedded in before the dry line appeared.

That had mixed results.:D

A few overly confident pushes on the brake pedal early on led to quite a plume of smoke from my front tyres. Learning to modulate the pressure I was applying took a couple of laps but once lunch was behind me and the track was dry I managed to keep from flat-spotting the fronts any worse than they were.

I started to play around with the boost after lunch too, because of the W58 previously fitted I was confined to stock boost for every track day I've attended since fitting the 1JZ. But now that the engine was bolted to an R154 I could finally start to ascend the notches on the dial that controlled the power.

That had mixed results too!:D

Firstly I'd removed my stock BOV some weeks ago while the car was in for attention. My idea was to run the car with no BOV and see how it all held together. I made up a BOV blanking plate and a "cap" to keep the boosted air where it was of use. Unfortunately I didn't spend too long making the cap and between the engine bay temperatures and the newly increased boost pressure it failed shortly after upp-ing the boost from 10psi to 14psi. Half an hour in the pits and I'd made enough of a repair to allow me back out on track, albeit with the boost now firmly reigned back in from the heady heights of 1 whole bar!

But the day rolled by with no further complaints from the car so with the last decent outing of the day before me and with dark clouds looming on the horizon I decided to flirt with 1 bar again and to hell with the consequences...........

Sorry about the atrocious footage, I may bite the bullet and invest in something designed to deal with this type of situation.

For anyone who didn't get their fill from the first clip here is the tail end of the day, basically the second half of the footage.

[video=youtube;ZIEI-uVHDyc]

Oh and gearbox appears to have been a sound investment, along with the new clutch, flywheel and modified prop it all performed fine on the day.

The gearing is different to the W58 so I tried out a couple of different gears for a few of the "either or" corners. I settled on short shifting for some, allowing the torque to pull me through to keep the rears from lighting up, too much.:innocent:

Edited by pedrosixfour (see edit history)

Looks like you had a good day :)

I was thinking about you on the friday when it was pouring down here thinking I hope he manages to get out on track, I am glad it cleared up for you.

Nice videos too by the way - you were lucky to keep it out of the barrier on that spin :)

Tell me about it mate, I had time to wonder, while the car was doing its own thing, exactly how much it was going to cost me!

The little woohoo! at the end is me celebrating the fact I got away with it!

That particular corner is a real tester, for me at least. There is a sudden surface change that completely alters the grip mid corner. In most corners there is a change in the behaviour of the Supra's rear end as the throttle is pressed, it goes from feeling totally planted to a floating sensation. Its not unpleasant at all and is probably the real outer limit of the car's current cornering ability. In every other corner the grip is unchanging & that point is totally predictable and its my own choice whether I exceed it. Parabolica is different, I tried several lines but none seemed to make much difference. Shes my nemesis and one I plan to conquer in a way other than slowing down!

• 2 weeks later...

ooh i look forward to seeing this vid pedro, when on a PC that i can actually watch it on! great to hear the trans is all good and allowing you to play with more boost :thumbs:

these came out a while back but i did promise i'd pop a few pics up from my first sprint so here they are:

and a pic of ed, who has now signed up here too. we had the only 2 supras at the event:

sideways FTW!!! comments / questions welcomed as always ;)

Don't get too worked up mate, I'm not exactly known for my camera work!

I'm loving the green wheel centres!

My only question is were is the video footage from all these outings??

Actually I have another question....

What size rims is Ed running? They look friggin' massive, not a size I'd like to be buying grippy tyres for!

I will be back out on track tomorrow I managed to take advanatge of a great deal at goodwood for the whole day :)

I have adjusted the camera mount location in the car (for a better view) and also now have a helmet cam so you can see my POV :D

New In car mount location.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/279398_464829523591696_1691335304_o.jpg

Helmet cam :D

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/967044_467778403296808_48344984_o.jpg

Weather looks good as well :)

I will be back out on track tomorrow I managed to take advanatge of a great deal at goodwood for the whole day :)

I have adjusted the camera mount location in the car (for a better view) and also now have a helmet cam so you can see my POV :D

New In car mount location.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/279398_464829523591696_1691335304_o.jpg

Helmet cam :D

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/967044_467778403296808_48344984_o.jpg

Weather looks good as well :)

Have a good one buddy, we will expect great footage.

I've two more days booked & paid for myself, one in july, the other august. Neither of which will be documented particularly well but I hope to have the chassis tuned a little sweeter.