The mkiv Supra Owners Club

forum owned track supras, register and chat thread.

dr_jekyll

Cheers mate. Car looks terrible but it was kind of you all the same. To be fair I did give my headlights a serious overhaul, black innards with de-lined covers, they do look lots better at least.

To be fair to the chap he just jumped in at the deep end, he came from tracking his GTR which, as we all know, drive themselves. :p

He is a nice bloke and there is no air of "driving god" about him, just not up to speed on the car's potential (good & bad) yet.

A race prepped Exige is not going to forgive an inexperienced driver, here is the footage, just to prove how fast things turn to $#@!.

Oops..... Looks like that would be one quick car in the right hands though!!

Nice vids mate. looks extremely well balanced compared to the oversteer of the past ;)

That'd be the Cusco going about its job admirably Dan. There are a couple of spots on the track where I couldn't have hoped to get the power down in third before, namely turns 2, 4 and the "S" bends after the double right hander out the back of the circuit. I just left it in fourth before to keep the rear in check, no need now!

Seriously, for all the banging and clunking the diff does at slow speeds in my yard or in the paddock, there is no hint of it through the corners where it's working flat out!

Oops..... Looks like that would be one quick car in the right hands though!!

The chap who sets the car up for him, Pat McBennett, is the Time Attack lap record holder, in his supercharged K20 Elise. Another absolute gentleman and a real helpful enthusiast, no matter what you're pedalling.

https://scontent-fra3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/v/t1.0-9/44633_156521227871275_1846773763_n.jpg?oh=2498ab5d3ed6fbb9d4980f97c64faee8&oe=5639FB6D

He can get around the two mile circuit 15 seconds faster than I can!

Oh ouch, Did he actually touch barriers or was it ok?

Oh no, he creamed himself off it.

He cracked his helmet in the impact but luckily was wearing a HANS device.

The car went broadside into the barrier, smashing the bodywork, plus both wheels AND brake disks on the left hand side, it's a LHD car too so he could've been next on the menu.

Oh no, he creamed himself off it.

He cracked his helmet in the impact but luckily was wearing a HANS device.

The car went broadside into the barrier, smashing the bodywork, plus both wheels AND brake disks on the left hand side, it's a LHD car too so he could've been next on the menu.

Oh not good, least he walked away, car can be fixed

Great vids mate :)

Not been on here in a while so looks like you have been well busy :D

Shame about the driver, good thing he was wearing a hans device. I would never go out in mine without one.

Cheers Rich, can't say I've been overly productive though mate, and now I'm missing about 10psi of boost so I may start investigating/hoping/bodging before round three in September.

Last clip from me, I know these rearward clips are a bit irrelevant, as they're basically repeats, but for some reason I really like watching the world disappear one corner at a time.

And as the first one proves, sometimes you see more looking behind you!

• 1 month later...

Final round of the 2015 Irish Time Attack Championship tomorrow (Sunday) at Mondello Park.

It's being held on the shorter, national, circuit this time, which I haven't driven in ages, not since the engine swap for definite.

Feeling a bit nervous as the Supra is more suited to the international layout which is twice the length and has the longest straight section at Mondello so I'm under pressure to get the car set-up right pretty quickly in the morning or I can see my third place in the championship going to my nearest rival, in another one of those pesky lightweight hatchboxes!

Have a mate coming with me who will take some tyre temp and pressure readings for me so I don't need to get out of the car during the session which will save valuable time in the pits. Think I was running too much pressure up front last time out as I was getting flat spots on my left front that only shaved the inner half of the tyre. Hoping to find a better contact patch tomorrow with a few adjustments in the morning.

Wish me luck, it should be a good day anyway, the carnival atmosphere will be in full swing as Japfest is running tomorrow too, with the Irish Drift Championship calling in a few big names from overseas and they're bringing all their toys.

Found my boost leak too! Turned out to be a split pipe going to the intercooler so major headaches were avoided on the front.

If only I could avoid gut-wrenching calamities everyday!

Only session I caught on camera.

Had an electrical fault dogging me all day, anything over 1 bar of boost was hit & miss, probably due to the drop in voltage to the controller.

And the first corner was absolutely destroyed with gravel and debris from shouty drifters!

Not my greatest performance but it is what it is and keeps my third spot in the championship within reach until the last outing at the end of October.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, nothing is official yet, but it would appear that I wrapped up third place in the Pro Class of the 2015 Irish Time Attack Championship today (Monday).

This round was actually part two of the final round of the year, which failed to reach a conclusion at Japfest at the end of September, due to unreasonable demands on track time put forward by the drift championship, which was the headlining event on the day.

The first two, qualifying, sessions were carried over from Japfest and we ran the group final and the super lap final today at a normal track day, during which we had sole use of the track for the required timed sessions. I even managed to post my fastest recorded lap so far this year just at the end of the group final so I was pretty happy with that alone. I came into this meeting with a two point lead over my nearest rival so the car & I needed to be on form to hold third place in the championship. The new replacement alternator for the new replacement alternator that failed at Japfest after two laps held up its end of the bargain and despite feeling like a boiled sh1te all day I did likewise, and posted faster times in both finals than my rival.

So, unless I'm completely wide of the mark, there should be some silverware coming my way in the not-too-distant future to add to the third place cup I won at round one.

I realise that trophies are secondary to the enjoyment of competing and my achievements aren't exactly pushing the envelope, but in my defence the Pro Class was the hardest fought group this year with enough entries at each round to ensure nothing was a given. I went home with nothing today, as I did after round two, but I was still quicker today than the second placed competitor in the top flight "Unlimited" class.

I've a few things almost in place for a bit of a revamp of the car over the winter months, let's see if I can't go a tad quicker in 2016!

Yeah the car went from chronic understeer in the morning to a bit tail happy after lunch.

Gotta say I much prefer the latter!

Don't suppose I'll have to worry about the former next year. :eyebrows:

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah the car went from chronic understeer in the morning to a bit tail happy after lunch.

Gotta say I much prefer the latter!

Don't suppose I'll have to worry about the former next year. :eyebrows:

New cage, a few alterations to the exterior, wiring, get the shell to weigh less than the moon basically.

Oh. And a small hike in power now seems to be on the cards as well. This was a last minute thing but too damn tempting to let slip through my fingers.

Very much looking forward to the reincarnation. A company even offered to wrap the car for me, for the cost of the materials alone!

orly? sounds interesting chap :D any beans you can spill just yet?

i'm not sure which way to go next year. prob just carry on as I have been this year if the car doesn't die (why the hell did I just say that!)

• 6 months later...

Well, the car hasn't moved since October, but that doesn't mean I have been completely idle on the progression of the project.

After two months of chasing the powers-that-be over at Plastics4Performance I finally took delivery of a full set of polycarbonate windows for the Supra today.

The kit includes:

Thermo-formed rear window, complete with three vents positioned along the bottom edge and finished with a hood over each to keep the rain out.

Thermo-formed quarter windows

Thermo-formed side windows, complete with edge stiffener plates, clubman sliders and matching air scoops covering the openings.

These, along with the new heated windscreen will see a complete re-glaze of the car done after the roll cage has been sorted. The next thing on the to-do list is talk to Stone Motorsport about an available slot in their calendar.

https://www.facebook.com/StoneMotorsport/

Once the car is back from the cage upgrade, the next task will be putting it all back together in a slightly tidier fashion than it was for the "mock-up"......six years ago!!

I'll be getting as much weight out of the car as possible during the rebuild, the windows will be fitted to drastically lightened panels, without resorting to exotic material.

I'm hoping to inject a little power into the engine while the chassis/body is at Stone's, a single turbo upgrade is hovering on the very edge of the radar as I type this, but it may be a bit of a long-shot realistically.

Other bits I will certainly be fitting during the rebuild (as I have them sat in the shed right now) are:

264° BC camshafts and adjustable camshaft pulleys.

A 40 litre aluminium fuel cell complete with internal foam. New filters pumps and fuel lines are also there to complete the system.

An "Accusump" oil-surge protection cylinder. This bit of kit holds an additional 6 pints of engine oil at normal pressure with this reserve being pumped to the engine bearings if the oil pick-up in the sump starts drawing air due to hard cornering. The same system can be used to pre-oil the bearings before starting a cold engine.

New 18 x 10 WedsSport rims with 295/30 Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tyres and Tyresure tyre pressure & temperature monitoring system at each corner.

Aero, aero, aero!! (All while staying within the limits of the Irish Time Attack Pro class of course!)

There might be a few other bits I have in store for the car and just can't recall right now, I took up shooting fairly recently as well, so I'm on a first name basis with the courier since Christmas!