The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NA supercharger build

barneybrendan

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not sure what you just said. so just for me, did it sort out the housing problem? Im no technical but enjoying this thread so just want to keep up with how things are going.

p.s. I still have trouble beliving in super chargers unless they block the view out the front of the car mad max style :)

not sorted yet,just an idea in my head at the moment.wanting peoples views on doing the housing this way.and it would of been a lot easier to have cut a hole in the bonnet.

The RAC man doing this for you?

na its just bloody cold.

Oil pressure hoses held on with Jubilee clips? That's a total and utter no no, I am afraid. I have been ultra busy this weekend, but I will definitely find that adaptor for you tomorrow.

wasnt going to use those pipes.was thinking more of getting hydraulic pipes done to ensure against leaks.our local pressure lines are really helpfull.whenever you have time chris thanks.

just a point on the bracket Barney, i would look at some bracing or even use the charger as a "stressed member" as the simple butt joint will flex regardless of how much weld you throw at it, on the pics of the oil filter everything looks a bit "grubby" you really need to be scrupulously clean on the oil system and as your offering it up to the block you may introduce some undesirables :(, it doesn't take much to wipe a bearing out, good stuff though mate and keep up the lateral thinking

just a point on the bracket Barney, i would look at some bracing or even use the charger as a "stressed member" as the simple butt joint will flex regardless of how much weld you throw at it, on the pics of the oil filter everything looks a bit "grubby" you really need to be scrupulously clean on the oil system and as your offering it up to the block you may introduce some undesirables :(, it doesn't take much to wipe a bearing out, good stuff though mate and keep up the lateral thinking

on the bracket i will be bracing with the material that has to be cut off the side also charger being bolted to the power steering bracket.good point on the cleaning,should make a point on sorting that.

A lot of thinking thats for sure.Once the bracket is finished i will be lightening it as its pretty heavy,make it more like a frame than sheets of metal.

i think you may have a case for some good old fashioned battleship engineering here as there will be some considerable forces this bracket has to take, i think i would leave as is for now and maybe use a DTI to check for flex when under load before lightening it

Here are some more photos I took for you today. The 2JZ-GTE block I have just stripped shows how the feed from the pump enters the oil filter adaptor boss on the block. You could tap the hole in the boss and plug it with a threaded 1/4 BSPT internal hex taper plug. Then carefully drill the pipe like part of the casting from the pump and drill and tap for a take off adaptor. The adaptor shouldn't enter the "pipe" any more than necessary, you would have to tighten it into the taper, measure, remove and trim off the excess and refit. Similarly drill and tap the centre hole feeding from the filter into the main oil gallery. I have done something similar on my Formula Atlantic 4A-GE block in the later photos. The blue anodised adaptor is where the oil filter would normally screw on. It's dry sumped, the external pump feeds the main gallery through this adaptor. The feed from the removed stock front mounted oil pump (very similar set up to a 2JZ*) is blanked off at either end. Give the photos a few minutes to upload please.

http://www.chriswilson.tv/block/block.html

cold but sunny today so was able to do some more.Finished the throttle body adapter,done a lot of measuring to get the right position for the charger bracket.Had to cut some metal away from the power steering bracket mainly where the aircon bolted to it to enable the charger bracket to go in the correct position.

looking at the jag throttle body just noticed it uses a ford throttle position sensor ,strange.

Positioned the oil filter adapter behind the bracket,and it will fit so can get it made the way i was thinking with the fittings coming out the side instead of on top.Also changed the wheel on the tensioner fron a grooved one to flat as the belts flat side will be ridding on it now.Once the tensioner is fitted i should get around 3/4 coverage of the charger pulley.

I now have to get some thick wall pipe to cut for spacers to go behind the supercharger bracket,will be using some existing threaded holes in the block.There will also be a small plate welded to the bracket that will connect to the power steering pump,notice in the pics i have left the threaded part on the pump bracket.was also thinkining another plate welded to the top of the sc bracket connecting to the plenum where the two bolt holes are.

a fiew pics from today.

02012010210.jpg

02012010211.jpg

02012010212.jpg

02012010213.jpg

02012010214.jpg

02012010215.jpg

02012010216.jpg

02012010217.jpg

02012010218.jpg

02012010219.jpg

02012010220.jpg

02012010221.jpg

02012010222.jpg

02012010223.jpg

02012010224.jpg

02012010225.jpg

Well done so far mate you have impressed me, i don't understand to much of the tech side but i get the general jist. My heating has been off for 4 days and it's so cold inside nevermind outside.

The write up is a real good read so please keep it up.

I pray for you especialy that it comes off and works perfect and for me because i will want one:eyebrows:

Keep up the good work bud much respect:thumbs: