Hodge's (The Kraken) Supra build

hodge

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Started pulling the engine together today.

Upper sump and extended oil pick-up fitted.

Here you can see where the pick-up has been extended. It's 38mm longer than stock.

Extended lower sump fitted

All shiney new bolts cos the stock ones were a mess.

Magnetic sump plug in there.

The head will go on tomorrow or Wednesday.

Took me about 4hrs to get this far tonight, but that's the fiddly stuff done. Only the rear crank seal to do on the short block but I'll do that when the engine goes up on the crane to go in the car.

Looks Pretty !!

Whats the purpose of extending the sump ?

I bought the sump setup from Darett. It holds an extra quart of oil. Don't quote me on this as this came from Cody Philips Racing, the extra oil will increase oil pressure and when the engine is running and the oil is circulating there's more air in the sump which keeps oil temps down. Darett found to have good results with this setup.

Nice progress John :thumbs:

Thanks chris

Looking good. What's the theory behind replacing the fisher seals?

By fisher seals do you mean core plugs? They wear away on the inside due to coolant movement, and you don't know there gone until they burst. There almost impossible to change while the engine is in, so Chris recommended changing them while the engine was stripped.

You can tell it's a Chris Wilson built engine, there's no bling :D

Not for long lol.

On a serious note, I can't recommend using Chris Wilson enough. His work is the best I've seen, and if I'm totally honest I was shocked when I asked for priced for more things to be done to the engine. I really did expect having to pay a lot more for work of such high standard and given Chris's reputation.

I wouldn't hesitate to use him.

On a serious note, I can't recommend using Chris Wilson enough. His work is the best I've seen, and if I'm totally honest I was shocked when I asked for priced for more things to be done to the engine. I really did expect having to pay a lot more for work of such high standard and given Chris's reputation.

I wouldn't hesitate to use him.

Well going by what you have sai you shouldnt have to use him again, EVER !!

By fisher seals do you mean core plugs? They wear away on the inside due to coolant movement, and you don't know there gone until they burst. There almost impossible to change while the engine is in, so Chris recommended changing them while the engine was stripped.

Ah that's why I didn't get what you meant. Fisher seals are commonly called core plugs, but core plugs are actually designed to block holes created for machining purposes.

Fisher seals are designed to burst if water freezes inside the block / head, in theory preventing it from cracking.

Core Plug:

http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=161824&d=1355317102

Fisher Seal:

http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=161825&d=1355317102

Looking good though, will be good to see it finished.

IMAG0606.jpg

IMAG0605.jpg

Edited by ugp (see edit history)

Ah that's why I didn't get what you meant. Fisher seals are commonly called core plugs, but core plugs are actually designed to block holes created for machining purposes.

Fisher seals are designed to burst if water freezes inside the block / head, in theory preventing it from cracking.

Core Plug:

http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=161824&d=1355317102

Fisher Seal:

http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=161825&d=1355317102

Looking good though, will be good to see it finished.

Thanks.

I did a little work on the engine tonight after work. Head is now bolted on with the L19 head studs. Cams are in and torqued down.

I then started to fit the Virtual works manifold. Hmmm. I must say, my whifbitz manifold I had was far far superior quality of fitment. It just bolted straight on with no issues what so ever. This virtual works one is another ball game altogether. I've had to cut some of the studs and slot the lower bolt holes. It's a total nightmare. I eventually took the huff and came in the house for a bath.