hodge

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks guys.

Only 2 weeks until I can go pick up my engine, can't wait. I've just bought a set of L19 head studs the other day from Steve.L, so apart from a head gasket I'm good to go.

Along the lines of the subframe, I've got a steam cleaner and some degreaser. I'll blast it with the degreaser clean it off and then steam clean it. Hopefully that should bring it up shiney new. No work on it getting done on it this week though, I've got a mk3 in for a few mods, such as injectors MAF sensor upgrade etc. my car is day on the drive covered in 2 car covers nice and snug. Should be back in its house in a few days though.

Hows it going John? done much more to it?

Nothing is really moving as yet Rob. I've got a MK3 supra I'm doing a little work on, but it should be finished this weekend so I'll get mine back in the garage and start cleaning up the subframes ready for the engine.

One the subject of the engine, I'm just waiting on Chris Wilson to finish it. He's got a job in he needs to do first so I told him I'm in no hurry. Just need to buy a head gasket and I'm good to go.

I've modded the Virtual works manifold to accept 2 x 1/8NPT threads so I can fit my Syvecs and Defi EGT sensors in, I've removed the turbo water feed pipe from water pump housing and welded it up so there's 1 less place to spring a leak. Once I get the MK3 out then it's picturefest again mate.

I hate waiting lol im in the same boat with my kit, as soon as it arrives its polish polish polish :D folllowed by ropey pics!

Alll i did was use a decent diluted truck wash on the subframe and it came out mint but obviously a degreaser and a brush will do the same job. look forward to the updates anyway!

I hate waiting lol im in the same boat with my kit, as soon as it arrives its polish polish polish :D folllowed by ropey pics!

Alll i did was use a decent diluted truck wash on the subframe and it came out mint but obviously a degreaser and a brush will do the same job. look forward to the updates anyway!

Thanks Rob, I've got a big tub of degreaser to try first, then I'm going to steam clean it to get all the crap off the alloy frame. Think that should do the job.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while since I've got anything done with the car for 1 reason or another. I've had a few spare hours today so thought of get the ball rolling a little. I started with the manifold. If had some weld built up on the side of runner 6, so I could drill and tap it for 2 EGT sensors. 1 for the Syvecs and 1 for my Defi gauge.

I ordered 65ft of DEI Titanium 1" titanium exhaust wrap thinking it would be way enough for my Manifold, lol, I guess not.

Only managed to cover 4 runners. I'll order some more tomorrow.

Next I moved onto the downpipe. It's a 4.5in pipe all the way down. Not wanting a full 4.5" exhaust, I've cut off the bottom flange and will get a 4" flange welded on. Because my car is pretty low, ground clearance is an issue for me.

New flange and adaptor to step it up from 4" to 4.5".

Sealing face

I've also cut off both wideband bungs from the downpipe too. I'm going to keep my wideband sensor in the midpipe where it was previously.

If things are quiet at work tonight, I'll get all this welded together, and the holes welded up so I can get it wrapped tomorrow.

Very nice work mate

Thanks Matt.

- - - Updated - - -

Got the downpipe finished and heat wrapped tonight. I also wrapped the dump tube too.

New V-band welded up.

Bump tube.

Whilst I had a bit of spare time, I gave the Greddy 4 row clean and polish. I took a bit of time to straighten out the bend and misshaped fins.

Next was the intercooler to TB pipe.

Finally I needed a new top water elbow because the stock pipe wouldn't allow for a T6 framed turbo.

Here it is compared to the stock pipe I previously had fitted.

Looking good John boy!

That water neck looks mega weird, does the trick though :)

It sits in tighter to the cam cover so it doesn't interfere with the compressor housing. As an added bonus, the sensors are tucked away underneath out of sight, which I like ;)

Ready for summer John.

For sure mate, for sure. If all goes to plan, and I get the engine back in by Xmas, I should have it running by early Feb as I'm away in the states most of January. Once it's running I can have a few trial and errors with the exhaust setup, then I'm good to go for mapping.