Geo's T67 Single Build Thread

Geo

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very nice bud cant wait to see the end result its looking well. Whens its finished you will need to keep an eye out for strathclydes finest they will hear you in kilmarnock winding that up lol

cheers mate

Aye thats the plan, he he. :thumbs: Although i will be able to get away pretty quick these days. So long as it aint raining. :blink:

Yeah its coming along slowly but surely, just need something to mount the gauges now, like a nice 3 gauge piller where the glove box is.

Well iv just been over to See Ian and the car, dam it looks and sounds even better. :D :D He showed me her starting, WOW, she dont have sound alot better than previously.

Car idling on the AFR was about 14.4/15 which from a little searching should be pretty much bang on. She's still to be driven to see the reading which will be done soon. Looks like the car will be finished this wknd. And then straight into paint on monday. MOT after that then down to Paul and Ryan.

WoooHoooo

Its getting there.

very nice! you changing colour? I bet your like a kid at christmas as its so close to completion!

Car is going BMW Carbon Black dude. Prep starts this Monday. :D

Yeah its like Xmas come early didnt think id have her Ready so Soon, mind you thats all down to Ian doing all the hard work. Iv just been buying the parts, lol.

your a lucky guy having someone who obviously takes pride in his work and is willing to work so hard to accomplish everything so quickly for you!

Tell you what mate, being up here in Scotland were limited to really good people who know what there doing never mind knowing there way round a Supra.

TBH id Recommend Ian to all other Scottish members up here. He has picked up on things i would have missed and never Noticed.

He wasnt happy with the way the Oil feed lines were routed to the oil Cooler, so off they came, cut shorter and re-routed better. And thats just one of the problems he got round. :D

George,

What Ian are you talking about? I have my 60K service coming up and was going to take it to Toyota to get the stamp in the book but might prefer giving it to someone who knew what they were doing....;)

Car looks good, cant wait to see it in the flesh again.

Sandy

George,

What Ian are you talking about? I have my 60K service coming up and was going to take it to Toyota to get the stamp in the book but might prefer giving it to someone who knew what they were doing....;)

Car looks good, cant wait to see it in the flesh again.

Sandy

Ian Thom mate, West Coast Customs. He's doing my single Build and Knows his way round Supra's. He's done shed loads to mine since it was in.

He's down in Irvine. Id never take mine to a dealer, id always have all the parts needed then just give everything to Ian to do.

Guys this is Ian's Write of the Single Turbo Install, very good read to what he has done and got round.

First off when removing the old turbo the first problem arose when the flange was not a T4 like the new turbo, so a new manifold was ordered and arrived in good time but we had problems with oil drain which was fouling on the new manifold and was so brittle that any attempt to relocate to a new location would have probably led to debris falling in to the sump, so we removed it and rotated the turbo centre section to allow a smoother flow from the turbo to sump, I used some of the original ICV to air filter pipe that we had already removed with some heatshrink tubing on the end to stop it fraying.

The downpipe and centre section pipes were wrapped and fitted with high temp silicone/copper sealer, these parts went on without a hitch, although we had to weld in a new bung for the AEM afr sensor.

The worst part of the install would be the I/C which took a lot of time to sort out, it started with the pipework hitting the air/con pipework on the n/s and the o/s was also to short.

So with the a/c pipes all moved we got a better clearance between the two pipes,but it was awful close, I then began to repair the oil cooler pipe fittings that we had seen were fractured earlier, this was also a bit of a task as the pipe was between the cooler and the arch liner and had been causing the liner to foul the tyre and the rub the pipe, so I relocated the pipework to allow clearance by chopping one pipe by 200mm to run from the top down, this then meant the oil cooler was not pulling the washer bottle downwards by 30mm we then bolted it all back up and it now has adequate clearance to the tyre.

The radiator was the lifted in, only to find that the electric fan was hitting the boost pipe (bugger) I then decided to use the original I/C pipework from the HKS I/C as this was steel I chopped it and rewelded the pipework to the new angle that the new I/C required, at the same time I cut of the original BOV flange and welded this to the boost pipe below the throttle body, the welds were ground down and the pipe was sanded and repainted.

The turbo side of the pipework was no better fitting (must be for std TT set-up) any way I tried to get it to fit but no way it would align, so I cut of one end and I had a spare 45deg pipe that was cut to fit I the made a tool to dimple the tube end to stop the blowing off, quite a lot of extra work was required to fabricate brackets and fix pipework issues for a of the shelf Supra I/C with no problems encountered before?

During this install which was originally booked for one day. George has added a few nice bits to his car that should keep it sound for along time, he got me to install his AEM afr gauge, Defi gauge system with Boost,Oil Temp, and Water Temp, and he has also supplied a very nice carbon part for the top glove box, I also removed the Battery and reinstalled it in the boot by running the cable thru the floor under the ECU panel it was within 200mm from the starter, I reused the original battery tray for a stable base and installed threaded inserts and used spacers to make up a level base, the cable was high grade 4gauge with crimped connectors the round cable was also bolted to a insert with serrated washers to give a better contact, at the fuse box I stripped and reworked the cable that originally went from the battery to the starter to connect directly to the bolt on the bottom of the fuse box, I also reworked the cables behind the o/s headlamp area to give me room for the boost pipe, this meant I could reroute the alternator cable and this meant I had to remove 500mm from the two cables a new connector was crimped and soldered, then covered with heatshrink.

When it came time to start the car I had removed the plugs and filled with oil, I removed the oil feed to the turbo and cranked the engine till the pipes and cooler had filled and pressure was up I then added another 1.5 litres of oil the cranked to clear out the oil line run about 500ml in to a clear tub this was a good way to check the oil was clean before the turbo was primed, After the turbo had been pressurised I did a cylinder compression check the results were not to bad.

cyl 1 175

cyl 2 185

cyl 3 185

cyl 4 185

cyl 5 180

cyl 6 180

During the test I had the throttle wedged open about 25%, after the test I installed the plugs and rebuilt the covers, The car was now filled with coolant and a final check made, the engine turned over do about 2 sec then fired and settled a very nice idle, it was run for about 2 mins then shut down to check for any leaks and check the oil level, everything was fine, fired it again and let it run abit longer to get some heat into it, the only thing that needed tightening was the external wastegate V band on the manifold connection and a reposition of the main downpipe V band clamp.

Regards

Ian

Little update i got from Ian this morning.

Here are some more pictures of the work I did yesterday, I wasn't happy with the pipe work on the turbo to I/C so I reworked some of the bends so there was no stress on any joints, also the afr is around 12.5 coming on boost and 14 light throttle these figures were in 2nd and 3rd gear low revs in the industrial estate so it look like it should be ok.

Didn't get the car finished yesterday due to the pipework mods and have came in this morning for an hour to take some deliveries, have also heard a little noise coming from the front end of the engine which could a idler pulley on the aux drive belt, will maybe have to strip the belt to check for any play on the bearings.

Fingers crossed its the Belt that causing the noise. The car has been sitting for a good while. :(

Edited by Geo (see edit history)

Right,

So my mechanical work has been done, and payed for. :D Car is now sitting at Simons for its respray.

All thats left to be done is a clutch ordered tomorrow along with a braided fuel line dampner.

Then its driven down to Whifbitz to get injectors fitted and base map loaded onto AEM, and then over to Ryans to get mapped.

Nearly there guys