The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Club Discount Insurance Scheme

mawby

Are you insured with Sky, the club insurer?  

275 members have voted

1. 1. Are you insured with Sky, the club insurer?

• Yes because they were the cheapest
    • Yes for the agreed value option
    • Yes simply because they knew what they were talking about
    • Yes for another reason

I've jut got off the phone with Sky and they quoted me £1000 fully comp. I'm 33; 9yrs NCB; no points/accidents etc while the Soop spends most of its life on a carpeted garage being polished. The car is a 96 Facelift TT Auto with BPU+ mods + body kit (all declared) and I stipulated 3000 miles a year as a max limit.

With all the hype, I think I was expecting a few quid less. The SKY chap was a good guy (Luke) but he did say that I should get back to SKY should I find a cheaper quote - does mean that they could do better!!:search: :thumbdown:

When I spoke to Jae at Sky he told me that limited mileage wouldn't make a difference to the policy. I have 96 (non facelift) JSpec TT all BPU mods declared, no points or accidents, 7yrs NCB, age 30, guaranteed value and mine was about £1100. TBH I thought it should have been lower when you see some of the other quys quotes. However are all their mods declared, is it guaranteed value, are their cars UK, for older cars, some people are covered under classic car insurance. I'd ring a few others perhaps, but you might find a lot won't touch you with the mods.

Also I think that Sky deal mainly with Southerners, I don't know where you are based but I think that the policies are typically more the further north you get.

Mike

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers Mike,

I'm so far South m8 that if I was any further then I would have to mod the Soop with one of those snorkel kits that you see on LandRovers (It would be an HKS/Apexi version naturally!!)

If I win the £17Mn roll-over lottery then I'll start my own insurance firm for Mkiv Soop guys only - massive discounts promised but please keep your normal insurance until I win yeh!

The ironic thing about this situation is that you spend your whole life wanting to be older for insurance purposes and then when you get there, you realise that you can't drive your car cos ur fecked with old age and your eyesight is fading fast!!

Drive Carefully Buddy, Andrew:unfair:

Always like the chance to fly the flag!!:uk:

Also I think that Sky deal mainly with Southerners, I don't know where you are based but I think that the policies are typically more the further north you get.

Mike

just got a quote through sky and was £631+£35 for guaranteed value, fully comp (value about £10.5k). am 28, 9yrs no claims (with a crash last year) on a black 1993 gz twin turbo aerotop with non standard alloys,K&N air filter, with £2k of ICE in it. car is kept off road, not in garage.

this was way cheaper than other quotes from elsewhere of £1200+. dealt with graham, will be going with them when I pick up the new motor this week, my first supra, dream motor!!!

• 2 weeks later...
I've jut got off the phone with Sky and they quoted me £1000 fully comp. I'm 33; 9yrs NCB; no points/accidents etc while the Soop spends most of its life on a carpeted garage being polished. The car is a 96 Facelift TT Auto with BPU+ mods + body kit (all declared) and I stipulated 3000 miles a year as a max limit.

With all the hype, I think I was expecting a few quid less. The SKY chap was a good guy (Luke) but he did say that I should get back to SKY should I find a cheaper quote - does mean that they could do better!!:search: :thumbdown:

ring JAE and ask what that's all about!

They just quoted my happy ;)

£580 including all my mods and an agreed value of £12K

I'm 35

Full no claims (Think they put it down as 6).

On Drive over night

£620 with splitting the payments over the year.

Adrian Flux who I was with last year were £620, going to £710 with splitting it across the year. Not agreed value either.

Plumb forgot to check that the membership discount had been taken off, will call again tomorrow.

I also Spoke to Luke, nice a friendly.. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Spoke with Luke yesterday, very friendly, said he'd call me back after we'd gone through all the info and double checked what he had on his system from last year was the same for this year.

I'm still waiting for him to call me with a quote :(

• 2 weeks later...
Guest moosebuster1st

Thanks to the club I just saved money on my insurance, not only were sky insurance cheaper but they offer an agreed value, this is very important as your regular insurer will go mid book glass's guide and that could be a lot less than you expect, also the underwriter is ensign insurance whom are one of the better insurers.

nice one club:)

I just took out insurance with Sky as well. Mines a single turbo with exhaust etc and the price was much better than any other quotes I had.

Even adding in a FMIC at a later date doesnt bump it up much which is great.

JB

do you mind me asking what it was roughly?? Also what bhp you putting out?

Cheers

My previous insurer was Admiral. I had only just renewed with them when I finished setting up the club insurance scheme, and had planned to switch last year when my insurance came up for renewal last year. I had to sell the Supra before then, and after only 6 weeks of owership of my replacement car it got written off. At the time the other person tried to blame me, and so I had an immedaite insurance hike as it was classed as an unrecovered loss. (Details here) I decided to renew with Admiral as I needed insurance sorted on another replacement car ASAP and, looking back, I just didn't want any more hassle with everything else that was going on.

Anyway, another year on and my insurance renewal has come through. For my massive 2.0 litre diesel turbo Rover 420, Admiral wanted nearly £700! :faint: Not far off what I was paying for the Supra. So I phoned up Jae at Sky and I have to say I was very please with the result. He can insure me with the same level of cover, including breakdown cover, for just shy of £300!

Cheers Jae for knocking more than 60% of my insurance! :thumbs:

• 4 weeks later...

I've been with Sky for the last year and have been very happy with the cover, the help and the assistance in general.

When my new quote rolled in a few weeks back it was around the £740 mark, fully comp, all mods declared. I was quite happy with that. :) However with the single going on in a few weeks time I made contact with Scott and asked him to quote me happy on a BL T67.

The phonecall came today and I nearly passed out. An extra £500 per annum increase taking the yearly cost to £1250 big ones. I cannot understand the hugely varying quotes for single conversions. Scanning the board some people are quoted peanuts - £80 and others around £200 for the change - where's this £500 thunderbolt came from? Have I done something wrong?

I wouldn't mind if I was a bit younger with previous accidents and convictions but this isn't the case. I'm 30 (feel 40 :D ), 8 years no claims with no accidents and a garaged car with limited milage.

I feel like a kid who is trying to insure their first car again. :D

Needless to say i'm going to be doing some serious hunting around over the next few days and chances are I will be switching insurers. *Rant over*

£500 more:shock:

That seems a bit steep John. This is why i have not used Sky for my insurance, even though i am still running the stock twins, with only a few mods, they wanted nearly £300 more than 2 other quotes i got.

Hope you find a more reasonable quote elsewhere

:thumbdown: to Sky

Does anyone know if Sky accept Direct Debit Payments?

Yes but i think their interest rate is around 14% so you would end up paying quite a chunk more over the course of the year. It might be better, if you cant pay it in one go, to take out a credit card with numerous months free interest, and pay it off over the year. Set up a DD payment to the Credit card instead of Sky.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest scootmuldoon

i just bought my 1st supra which is a 94 m reg jap import n/a model. my previous insurer (adrian flux) wouldnt quote me so i tried sky insurance and they quoted me £541 fully comp. rock on!

im 25 and i have a L reg NA auto. 17's. oem sideskirts spats. top secret bumper. 3 years no claims. no tickets or accidents.

sky quoted me £1006

i think this is very high .... think my mileage has ushed it up 15000 a year.

pretty miffed off really!