The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Club Discount Insurance Scheme

mawby

Are you insured with Sky, the club insurer?  

275 members have voted

1. 1. Are you insured with Sky, the club insurer?

• Yes because they were the cheapest
    • Yes for the agreed value option
    • Yes simply because they knew what they were talking about
    • Yes for another reason

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This poll is a bit dodge innit - all answers yes?

anyhooooooooo

I tried sky and they wanted 3k third party, bloody stupid.

I am insured through yesinsurance and pay £900 fully comp with £1m motor legal, full RAC, free windscreen, insured on other vehicles and because of a mistake they made, they rectified it by adding an extra years no claims to my policy.

94 NA, I'm 25 with 3yrsNCB, one accident in sep last year (I was at fault) one claim last month (non fault - 3rd party reverse into my parked vehicle) EDIT - forgot to add it is garaged, in a VERY GOOD insurance band and with CAT1 alarm and immob.

Personally, I wouldn't even bother trying sky again.

This poll is a bit dodge innit - all answers yes?

anyhooooooooo

I tried sky and they wanted 3k third party, bloody stupid.

I am insured through yesinsurance and pay £900 fully comp with £1m motor legal, full RAC, free windscreen, insured on other vehicles and because of a mistake they made, they rectified it by adding an extra years no claims to my policy.

94 NA, I'm 25 with 3yrsNCB, one accident in sep last year (I was at fault) one claim last month (non fault - 3rd party reverse into my parked vehicle) EDIT - forgot to add it is garaged, in a VERY GOOD insurance band and with CAT1 alarm and immob.

Personally, I wouldn't even bother trying sky again.

can you tell me when i phoned sky they said on a supra they would never quote third party to any1 how comes you got quoted 3rd party

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I have a bit of a strange situation...

I was born in the UK, but moved to SA when I was really young. Now I am back, been here since January 2005.

I recently (about 4 months) changed my South African drivers license to a UK one. Direct swap to a Full UK license. I have had my South African license for about 9 years, and I have had 1 accident in the past 5 years.

I gave Sky a call and they will not quote me, as I have not had a UK license for more than a year.

I have just bought a supra TT and would really like to get it insured... Cant have it on the driveway for a 8 - 9 months.

Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful...

Thanks in advance,

Graham

Guest duart

Suggest you try Elephant/Bell/Admiral who are all part of Admiral.Their licence question refers to non EEC licences being swapped for UK licences and asks how long you have held a licence overall.Looks as if this covers your needs.They will cover most Japanese cars including JDM and grey imports

Give them a try as Sky can't help.

Failing that try Aplan in Thatcham as that branch runs a scheme for Japanese imports.Don't have the phone number handy but their website will have it.

Yep someone like Admiral who are much bigger than Sky should be able to help you out. I'm surprised Sky couldn't be a little more accomodating of your situation. Did you speak to our official representive, Jae, or was it someone else?

Although I've been with Admiral for several years now* I intend to switch over to Sky at my next renewal even if I don't own a Supra by then. Why? Well because of a telephone conversation that went like this....

mawby : [Confirms identity]

Admiral : How can I help?

mawby : I'd like temporary insurance cover on a 3rd parties car so I can take it for a test drive.

Admiral : What location are you going to?

mawby : Location?

Admiral : Where are you going?

mawby : What do you mean where am I going?

Admiral : You said you were going abroad and wanted car cover.

mawby : No, I said I wanted temporary cover on another car.

Admiral : Oh sorry sir, give me some details.

mawby : [gives details]

Admiral : No

mawby : Fine, goodbye

Now in case you're wondering it wasn't me who couldn't speak or understand English properly! At least with Sky I know they know they can speak and understand English just fine.

(*I had just renewed my insurance with Admiral before I setup the club scheme with Sky, and then sold my Supra before the next renewal was due. I then had someone write off my new car just weeks after selling the Supra! So I haven't had a chance to make use of the club scheme yet after spending nearly a year setting it up!)

mod free but not for long- just got it!
In that case be careful of most insurance companies as they normally have the following clause...

3. What is not covered

We will not pay:

For any modification unless they form part of the manufacturers standard specification.

With Sky and a few other companies you can insure the parts or set an pre-arrange agreed value for the car so you know you'll get your money back on the modifications if someone was to steal your car.

I phoned Sky today to get a quote for a car because im planning on returning to Supra Ownership soon as was testing the water with different spec cars. The guys were really helpful and like people have said really knew their stuff. I managed to get an awsome quote on a 94 Import Single turbo with full body kit. Im 24 with 7 years NCB and to insure me and girlfriend, with all mods declared and covered by the policy, guaranteed value and protected NCB it was only 1500. I say only because this was how much elephant wanted for my last supra completely stock and i must admit i wasnt expecting anyone to insure me under 25 on a Single. Looks like i might be getting back into ownership a little sooner than i expected. :)

Excellent news, Gareth, I think you are the first of the recent sellers to head back to Supra ownership.

Yeah a change of circumstances meant that i found a couple of quid behind the sofa so can start looking a little sooner than expected. Was originally going to stick to the original plan of waiting til next september so i had enough money behind me but ive spotted one for sale that i just love, and the thing that really it swung it for me was the insurance quote. Still might not happen but at least i can go ahead if everything works out. Cheers.

Anyone had problems with Sky losing their documents?

I recently took a policy with them, got the temp cover note and request for docs including alarm cert, proof of no claims original, copies of mine, my girlfriends and my dad's driving licenses. Sent all of these away 1st class straight off and thought all was dandy until I got a reminder to send docs about 2 weeks later. What's going on here I think, and give them a call. Spoke to Graham and explained the docs had been sent but he said it's OK, that they have a backlog of paperwork and not to worry. Now again I get another reminder whilst in Germany, so they call my girlfriend who doesn't know the situation and agrees I'll send stuff again. I came home and hadn't done anything else, hoping they'd finally find my documents and that'd be the end of it but today got a call asking where the docs were from a lady. Explained situation again and that they hadn't spoken to me last, said I'd lost confidence in them considering they said they had a backlog of paperwork so could they please check their office again for my docs but they just said they must be lost in the post.

I've never had this problem before and will now have to send copies registered post to make sure they get there..... I'm pretty convinced they've lost my docs :( Just wondered if anyone else had experienced the same?

Cheers,

Brian.

Similar kind of... they were after something but I hadn't sent it and a lady kept calling, kinda good in a way. So I guess theres 1 person who chases all the docs?

Brian call Jay direct and explain what has happened, he sorted the above for me although not bad like yours.

Similar kind of... they were after something but I hadn't sent it and a lady kept calling, kinda good in a way. So I guess theres 1 person who chases all the docs?

Brian call Jay direct and explain what has happened, he sorted the above for me although not bad like yours.

After speaking to 3 different people and asking them all to search their office for my docs.... they all come back with not here must be lost in post. So have just resigned myself to the fact I have to organise all this paperwork again grrrrr.... :complain:

Only original was proof of no claims. They've said they'll accept a policy number and phone number of previous insurer instead now... the biggest hassle is getting hold of my dad to get a copy of his license.

Guest pompeysupra

well after loads of calls to people that wouldn't recognise a supra from a mini ive insured through SKY.

Graham was very helpful, although not the cheapest i feel i'm getting a better service from guys that seem to know whats what.

Just got to wait to pick up car thursday, going to be a long week.....

Wayne (PompeySupra)

• 2 weeks later...

I've jut got off the phone with Sky and they quoted me £1000 fully comp. I'm 33; 9yrs NCB; no points/accidents etc while the Soop spends most of its life on a carpeted garage being polished. The car is a 96 Facelift TT Auto with BPU+ mods + body kit (all declared) and I stipulated 3000 miles a year as a max limit.

With all the hype, I think I was expecting a few quid less. The SKY chap was a good guy (Luke) but he did say that I should get back to SKY should I find a cheaper quote - does mean that they could do better!!:search: :thumbdown: