The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Club Discount Insurance Scheme

mawby

Are you insured with Sky, the club insurer?  

275 members have voted

1. 1. Are you insured with Sky, the club insurer?

• Yes because they were the cheapest
    • Yes for the agreed value option
    • Yes simply because they knew what they were talking about
    • Yes for another reason

WOW, I thought being an old git they would find it hard to beat my current insurer. Max no claims protected, agreed value, for both current and planned mods, their quotes were excellent.

So reassuring to talk to someone who knows the cars and who does not make sucking noises as soon as you mention single turbos, race , multiple wheel sets etc. Their premium for my turbo conversion, is less than I paid for the stock car when I got it in 2000, with the same driver stats:- Max no claims, no points, no convictions, garaged at same rural address as in 2000.

The situation with agreed value is this. Normally 15K max, but cars can be referred to underwriters, for an additional 5k max value, on condition that tracker is fitted. Now that is not a bad deal. We all know that you never get much back on mods, so if stolen or written off, you can get a half decent car for £20K.With the money Sky have saved me, I am just going out to just going to make an offer on a runabout, so I can pull the car off the road and can start my build.

If any of you have not contacted Sky at renewal time, because you think they will not beat your current quote, think again, you may have a pleasant surprise.

Just like to say a public, thank you very much, to Mawby and other mods who spent not an inconsiderable amount of their own time in order that we can gain car club rates for insurance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just insured with sky.

I phoned around, probably about 15 companies, and left them till last. They were the cheapest, only by about 30 quid, gave a better service and i felt confident that they knew what they were talking about. :)

556 quid full comp, J-spec TT6 BPU, protected NC (10 years), like for like mods, all mods declared and agreed value for an extra 35 quid. I'm 28, no points.

nice one luke. :thumbs:

Had my car insured with sky, renewal qote was £1700 for my age 55 and my son 28 as named drivers. Agreed value £21,000.

I feel that the car is worth more than £21,000 as this is the price we paid for the car and we have spent £20,000 on it in mods.

I tried Demontweeks they gave me a quote of £1060 and an agreed value of £40,000. Needless to say I have gone with Demontweeks. May be an option if you have a high power high value supra.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got a quote with Sky for the N/A Supra I'm looking at on Saturday and they were cheaper than all the quotes I got on Confused.com.

But - I then called my current broker (2Gether) to see if my current insurer would still cover an import Supra. They will - and amazingly there is 6 months of the policy left and it would only be an additional £95.

I explained to them that I would have to consider whether that was the best idea - since I wouldn't sell the Focus until after I bought a Supra, so it might be better to take out a new policy and move the NCD to the Supra. But they said I don't have to - leave the NCD on the Focus until it's sold, and they will give me a new policy with introductory 50% discount - which works out at £420. Once I sell the Focus and transfer my NCD it drops to under £400.

I'm with this broker because a few years ago I used to have a 4x4 import (Mits. Pajero) and they were the club insurer so they are used to imports. Might be worth a call if your insurance is due - 0870 7662318.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

As i'm going single in the next month or so I decided to ring both my current insurance company, (A Plan), an Sky for a ball park qoute. For me it seems that Sky is going to be ALOT more expensive. A Plan have told me my premium will go up by around 35% over what i've paid this year for my BPU twin, is this about right for what the rest of you guys have experianced ?. I'm very happy with A Plans qoute by BTW. ;)

The cheapest quote i had been given on a UK Spec supra TT was £1500 with Admiral, when i tried with a J-Spec TT (Imp) they were coming up with like £3000. i tried that sky place today, and on an import there best quote was £1591, so i imagine a UK spec TwinTurbo will be around half that, now just to find that illicit 6 speed manual Twin turbo uk spec lol.

• 2 months later...

Just insured the new Supe with "Zurich Special Risk Insurance" through my company broker.

Was over £100.00+ cheaper than Sky and no problems with bodywork mods etc.

No agreed value, but our brokers have looked after us for thirty years and I'm sure will get us a good deal if and when.

If you want to give them a shout, they are:

ADVANCE INSURANCE

WESTBURY

01373 822369

Ask for Ian

Might be worth a shout...

G

• 1 month later...
Just renewed mine with sky £440 they put ther agreed value policy up from £35 to £70:(

Im just coming up to my renewal and am currently getting a load of quotes in. So far Admiral and A Plan are leading, but I still have a few more places to try.

Mark

lancaster are stupid they quoted me 1800 the other day and then i called them yesturday and they quoted me slightly cheaper than sky 1450. Anyways i called sky and scott said he will sort it out for me so im leaving a deposit with sky end of the month and requesting my policy to start end of april:)

Just got a load of quotes back and here is what they look like. I am 29 with 6 years protected NCB with my 25 year old wife on the policy. No points or claims etc. Car is 95 RZ TT. With alloys, spoiler, boost controller, decated, exhaust.

Does anyone know if Admiral insure the modifications or not?

A Plan - £676 and £500 excess

Admiral - 627 and £250 excess

Sky - £1205 and £350 excess

Lancaster - £977 and £250 Excess

Directline - £750 and £350 excess

Advance Insurance - £863 and £350 excess

Tesco - £694 and £300 excess

Thanks

Mark

Well i am just about to insure my supra for the first time and the best quote I have so far is £591 from Sky with £250 excess

The quote is for a 95 RZ and i am 30 with NCB and Fully Comp

Thought that was quite good.

A-Plan came out at £694

Is it worth contacting SKY via PM, I've got Daniel Lacey dealing with my policy/renewal and wonder if he's even taking my club membership into account.

When i took original policy out 2years ago i spoke to Jae because i thought he was appointed club broker/salesperson, renewals up and i'm not too happy with quote as i don't even use my MKIV TT at all these days where original policy 2years ago was as my daily driver kept on dodgey streets of London where it's now safely locked away garaged in my new Essex "outside M25" home.