JamieP's New Supra Project!

JamieP

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hopefully your turbo is ok. what turbo would you be leaning towards if its knackered

Dunno yet mate, its a tough one as the billet 6765 seems to kick the sh1t out of everything else, could get it rebuilt in the uk by AET or just go nuts and fit a GT4780:D

Dunno yet mate, its a tough one as the billet 6765 seems to kick the sh1t out of everything else, could get it rebuilt in the uk by AET or just go nuts and fit a GT4780:D

Ryans BW unit looks comparable to yours and he is running larger cams, I know the top end is lower but you were running more boost.

attachment.php?attachmentid=106472&d=1268494760

attachment.php?attachmentid=106471&d=1268494610

Capture.GIF

Capture2.GIF

I think my rear end wobble may now be fixed, Lee changed all the arms and bushes etc on the rear end and he said he cant feel the wobble now, he is dropping it back to me at about 4, looking forward to having a go, booked into wheels in motion for monday.

Were the rear suspension components changed previously?

Ryan is coming over monday for a few tweeks, im still not sure this boost problem is fixed, the turbo is making some strange noises, i have a bad feeling it might be f**ked, if it is ill never buy precision again.

Hmm interested in the prognosis - FWIW, we (the guys from my Australian A.C.T. Supra Club) have had very few trouble from the Garrett turbos we've all used. Of course, hope the turbo is fine regardless!!

Were the rear suspension components changed previously?

Hmm interested in the prognosis - FWIW, we (the guys from my Australian A.C.T. Supra Club) have had very few trouble from the Garrett turbos we've all used. Of course, hope the turbo is fine regardless!!

I did change to powerflex before, he said they all still looked fine but i decided to change to all new any way.

He did find some movment, cant remember what it was now though, was not in any of the powerflex stuff, ill ask him when he gets here, he is on his way with my car now.

I'm going with a Holset for my next turbo, a Hx40 super, or Hx52Pro, they are very similar to Bw turbos (originally aimed at the diesel market), but without the hype or price tag, they've got a great reputation for build quality, something i can't say about my precision, plus they are Uk based and the parts are cheap.

They seem very popular in Finland, Denmark etc, and i've seen some great results from them, also the honda guys (in US especially) seem to love them.

The only supra guy i know with one is Krister, he seems to be getting very good results, especially considering he is using a stock engine.

Hope the turbo is ok anyway :thumbs:

Looking forward to seeing the thunder road results :)

I did change to powerflex before, he said they all still looked fine but i decided to change to all new any way.

He did find some movment, cant remember what it was now though, was not in any of the powerflex stuff, ill ask him when he gets here, he is on his way with my car now.

Yeah, I have changed the bushes in my car too - but I think I'd replace them with new stock gear if I was to do it again (even though my car had 10k miles on it when I bought it ;)).

I'm going with a Holset for my next turbo, a Hx40 super, or Hx52Pro, they are very similar to Bw turbos (originally aimed at the diesel market), but without the hype or price tag, they've got a great reputation for build quality, something i can't say about my precision, plus they are Uk based and the parts are cheap.

They seem very popular in Finland, Denmark etc, and i've seen some great results from them, also the honda guys (in US especially) seem to love them.

The only supra guy i know with one is Krister, he seems to be getting very good results, especially considering he is using a stock engine.

Hope the turbo is ok anyway :thumbs:

Looking forward to seeing the thunder road results :)

Yeah the Finns use the Holsets because they are local (like Garrett is for us Australians) therefore easier customer service IF there is a problem. They also have a harder core base in heavy vehicles and drag racing, so their products seem to be more durable - perhaps at a compromise of spool and total HP.

Thanks to Lee for droping the car back, talked him into doing a few jobs on my TT while he was here:D

Rear end seems fine now, handling is not great but the geo is all over the place, hopefull to be sorted out when i visit WIM.

Still not sure this boost problem is sorted, just took it for a spin and the boost is rising with the revs a bit, hits 1 bar right away then goes upto about a max of 1.3bar with the boost control turned off, still sounds a little strange, will have to wait for Ryan to get his hands on it.

Getting some serious flames out of it, pop of flame every time i let off to change gear (i can see the flames in my mirrors) and letting off after a big blast and the flames are hovering round the top of the spoiler:D

wooshing sound as the boost first starts to come on.

Mmm strange, mine whisltles like a mo-fo as it's spooling (pre wastegate opening)

Is your boost problem not related to maybe the manifold design & the 44mm wastegate not being able to flow enough (I had a boost creep issue on my old MR2 which was only solved by moving upto a 50mm gate - no matter how many times people told me a 44mm was big enough)

Mmm strange, mine whisltles like a mo-fo as it's spooling (pre wastegate opening)

Is your boost problem not related to maybe the manifold design & the 44mm wastegate not being able to flow enough (I had a boost creep issue on my old MR2 which was only solved by moving upto a 50mm gate - no matter how many times people told me a 44mm was big enough)

But it was running perfectly well mate, this has popped up from nowhere.

Guest Budz86

Surely the flames can't be good for your diffuser? Glad it's all sorted though Jamie, you've only just got that tubby!

On a slight side note, are you going to have the camera's set up for thunder road? I know they said no recording but a video would be good :)