j_jza80

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

Another year, another MOT. :) Owned her 2 years this week, and shes just sailed through another MOT. due a couple of rear tyres now, but otherwise she's in rude health :cool:

Think this is the only time I've had a car for this long and not started to have thoughts about getting something else. She's definitely a keeper. :cool:

• 4 weeks later...

Got the rear tyres sorted today.

The rear wheels are 9.5 x 18, and up until now I've been running 255/35/18 vred Ultracs, left over from my old BBS LM wheels. To be fair to them, they've coped extremely well considering the car is a single now.

Decided to go to a 275 / 40 on the back now, as not only will it help with grip, but should make the ride a bit better, should makd the speedo more accurafe at 70, and I think they look better too. Went for some used Michelin Pilot Sports, didn't want to fork out for new tyres when I wasn't sure if they'd fit. Anyway, a before and after :)

They do seem to work well, though the roads are a bit too greasy today to put them through their paces properly.

Definitely keeping it, there's no other car I'd rather own, so no point getting rid :)

Yeah I think it would, but it would be close at the back of the arches. My wheels are fairly sensible offsets though which helps. If I'd say the pic makes the gap between the tyre and arch look bigger than it actually is though. I'll get a better picture once it's had a liberal dose of tyre black :)

But the stance, thestance is wrecked David. :)

Please don't swear on this thread :D tbh I don't see the attraction with rubber band stretched tyres, they look awful and ruin the ride.

Actually, while I have your attention, what are the negatives of jumping up a tyre size like this? I assume the camber will be slightly more on the negative side now?

• 2 months later...

Just a small update :)

As per earlier in the thread, I had to remove my active spoiler when Whifbitz installed my single turbo setup due to the front mount intercooler. I do intend to fit the active spoiler again at some point, after modifying the fmic pipework, so when I saw Cered advertise a perfect condition active spoiler blade I had to snap it up.

The car currently has a poor condition active spoiler lip bolted to the bumper as a temporary measure, which will remain until the active spoiler setup is fitted again. This new one will replace the one already bolted to the active spoiler kit Sat in my garage, which is very good except for a little scrape underneath. So eventually I'll have two spare active spoiler lips to sell on :)

Still not had the mapping finished, but as my earlier posts it is fine in normal driving. There's a few tiptronic owners wanting to install Syvecs ecu's now, so I'm going to hang fire until someone else is ready I think and try and get a joint mapping session.

• 3 years later...

Where have the last few years gone??

As per this thread here, I had a big change of career. I went to college to study mechanics, and landed myself an apprenticeship with Volvo, which has gone pretty well and is coming to an end soon. In a very unexpected turn of events I also found myself a hopefully permanent partner, with whom I share an 8 week old son :cool:

The Supra has, so far, managed to survive these events without being sold. It was replaced by a Volvo S60 for daily driver duties a few years ago (which has also just been replaced by somethingelse), and the Supra has sat, unloved, outside for that time. :eek:

However, this weekend, she is finally going to recieve some much overdue love, and is going to live in a garage from now on. I'm addition to the full detail which will be required (she has been periodically washed to a basic standard), she also requires some cosmetics.

She was lightly tapped on the rear quarter by a hit and run driver, which has mildly dented it, and smashed the rear quarter marker light. And both front and rear bumpers will require new paint due to some peeling. Also going to get a local garage to resurface the brake discs to remove the rust which has inevitably built up on the surface.

Really looking forward to returning her to the standard with which she used to be accustomed to. I have no intention of selling her now.

Future plans will likely focus on the gearbox, as the car is no longer a daily the tiptronic is no longer desirable, so I will likely look at a manual swap of some kind.

• 4 weeks later...

After the move and a good clean...

20201011_121933 smaller.jpg

https://old.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=525605&d=1602969164

Unfortunately I don't get much free time at all these days (see post #845), so progress will be slow. She has cleaned up well considering, but some areas will need attention

- Dent in offside rear quarter

- Diamond cut areas of wheels have corroded

- rear brake calipers have white deposits on them (they don't come laquered like the fronts :rolleyes: )

- some minor dents have appeared on the upper surfaces, presumably deposits from the house roof

- a couple of stonechips have developed surface rust

- the upper surfaces have dulled, nothing a good machine polish won't fix - I hope

I have also installed a new battery, and a ctek battery charger to keep this one in good condition. :)