The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Turbofit Trader Status Removed

Branners

What next Pete... Hang on I know Branners could go Pillion on the back of a motorcycle being driven by some portugese fella. I can see him now

http://www.bbc.co.uk/consumer/images/tv_and_radio/roguetraders/matt_dan_300x193.jpg

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its very difficult for someone like me (say, nooby, non-techy, bit of cash available toward higher levels of Supra ownership, but absolutely no idea who to go to) to gauge what outfit will give the best levels of workmanship and yet not get ripped off on pricing etc. So where better to start looking than a forum such as this...its a given, this forum is so obviously the best gateway to advice, past builds, experience good and bad. The problem for me at least is that even if I'd been on here since forum inception, it seems like favorites rise and fall so regularly that by the time a decision to go with an currently rated outfit is made, theres a new rash of doubts raised that puts you off.

Also, the forum top brass seem to be upping the game as to consumer protection for its members. Where do the powers that be want to go with this...Graded forum approval for tuners ? A (very short) list of out-fits that come with a crested forum seal of approval ? Short of having work done by one out-fit routinely checked over by another, more 'accepted' out-fit before money is paid out (and the results published regularly on here), I cant see how the recent situations couldnt happen again. Surely these cycles will continue unless (heaven forbid) a tuner monopoly is promoted on here ?

Yep, Matt Harwood is a great bloke, although he has never taken me out in his single Supra dammit :(

:D

Yeah....made similar false promises to me too...... :(

:D

Luckily with traders like Sextons and Pheonix around I have never had the need to use Turbofit. Hope it all works out for members that are still dealing with them.

What next Pete... Hang on I know Branners could go Pillion on the back of a motorcycle being driven by some portugese fella. I can see him now

http://www.bbc.co.uk/consumer/images/tv_and_radio/roguetraders/matt_dan_300x193.jpg

If that what it takes to protect club members then yes. :p

This is a reference to "Rogue Traders" which I guess is a TV program. I only know this from the pic URL.

Please put aside the TF thing for moment as they would have been most likely accepted under the terms I suggest above anyway. I was trying to think of the larger picture on how to move forward with future trader acceptances by adopting a working used business practice. I don't deal with any companies which do not fulfil similar requirements due to the risk. Maybe it's an IT thing being high value and all that.

If that what it takes to protect club members then yes. :p

This is a reference to "Rogue Traders" which I guess is a TV program. I only know this from the pic URL.

Please put aside the TF thing for moment as they would have been most likely accepted under the terms I suggest above anyway. I was trying to think of the larger picture on how to move forward with future trader acceptances by adopting a working used business practice. I don't deal with any companies which do not fulfil similar requirements due to the risk. Maybe it's an IT thing being high value and all that.

I agree with you Pete however can the forum ever "give a seal of approval" on a trader. That would leave them at risk if anything went wrong IMO. At the end of the day Its a risky business choosing a Tuner at the best of times.

But it may help with the sticky that you suggest when deciding

I agree with you Pete however can the forum ever "give a seal of approval" on a trader. That would leave them at risk if anything went wrong IMO. At the end of the day Its a risky business choosing a Tuner at the best of times.

I wouldn't suggest they do. Offering any kind of guarantee would be silly.

Indeed a credit check in business only allows people to see basic facts about the company for them to make their own minds up about a company rather than relying on hearsay. It's not a guarantee.

Would you bother being a trader on here ? Be much better to have mates 'big you up' on the forum instead. No trader fees, on Disputes threads, no accountability yet plenty of work.

That would be the best way :)

dont be giving people ideas now :p

definitely agree with you though, would be the best way.

I'd like to point out that I have no personal grudge against Sam or Greg. I'm sure they're really nice people, and probably real Supra enthusists, but IMHO it should have stayed that way. Enthusiasts.

Their business plan wasn't bad with the social scene etc, but the skill and knowledge just wasn't there.

But I also want to make it perfectly clear that neither myself, Ian, Terry, Alex, Tom, or anyone for that matter were vindictively trying to ruin their reputation.

I will only make a comment if I feel something is not right, and could cause problems for others that may not know what's right or wrong.

The errors they made weren't small ones. In many cases they were massive! And it's not just a recent thing. These 'mistakes' were highlighted over a year ago. The first one I saw was ToyotaToms Supra. The cock-ups on this car were so horrendous, they lead to Tom spending thousands more on the car, and eventually selling it as he'd lost all heart in Supra ownership.

In brief, here's a list of a few things that I had the 'pleasure' of seeing over the last year or so...

1, E-manage wiring that was absolutly appalling. Not only the wiring, but the lies that went with it, claiming that the E-manage was faulty. - They knew that because they'd 'tested' another one in it's place. - This could never be the case as the main power wire wasn't connected to a 12v source!!! (two other wires connected to the wrong pins also!) - And this was on a Fields harness!!!

2, Ridiculously huge T3 to T4 adapter that left the turbo mm away from a fibreglass bonnet

3, Several studs missing from head/manifold. Obviously they were too awkward to get to and weren't needed???

4, Lots of bodged wiring, including an amazingly extended AFR gauge loom that ran from the clock opening, down the passenger side, through the passenger wing grommet, back along the bulkhead and down the drivers side inner wing to the exhaust. - And it didn't work properly, despite being 'checked'...

5, Silicon oil breather hoses mm away from the turbo. (Fried Supra anyone?)

6, EGT probe left disconnected and coiled up in the engine bay.

7, Turbo clocked off to one side, meaning the oil return was never going to function properly, and would lead to very short turbo life expectancy

8, A breather hose routed along the rear of the engine bay that was getting crushed whenever the bonnet was closed... That wouldn't be so bad, but it wasn't even needed. It was connected to the Idle Air Control Valve, and routed around to the turbo intake.... this is ONLY required on MAF equipped cars, which Toms wasn't...

9, When asked to remove the above pipe, TF decided to block off the IACV with the end of a walking stick!!!!

10, Replacing a perfectly good HKS SSQV with a 'high quality' XS Power thing that was fitted so nicely that it had started rubbing and wearing its way through the radiator fan shroud.

All that was just on Toms car. June/July last year. Since then, I have seen more poorly/incorrectly mounted turbos, more walking stick ends, extended cables using bloody bell wire and not a drip of solder in sight, turbos that have only been tightened properly in one corner, leaving the rest to wind themselves out, appalling attempts at DIY exhaust systems, and not a gasket in sight, wiring to injectors bodged and connectors cut off....

There's plenty more, and I've not mentioned the shocking atrocities that I've heard about on some of their battery reloctaions, or auto to manual conversions....

As I've already said, I didn't say it before because I knew I'd get shot down again. However, as I said at the start, it not a personal thing against Sam or Greg, and in fact, if Sam has really lost £300k, then I feel really sorry for them both, and honestly wish them better luck in the future.

I've said my point, and that's it from me.

One thing that really surprises me about all that Matt is....where the hell do you buy replacement walking stick ends???

HAHAHA and why use a walking stick end, surely something else would be more suitable. What exactly did they use it for, pics of one fitted??

Would you bother being a trader on here ? Be much better to have mates 'big you up' on the forum instead. No trader fees, on Disputes threads, no accountability yet plenty of work.

That would be the best way :)

LOL, the best way would be, to know what you're talking about and not talk crap about stuff you don't know. To find out how to fit stuff properly and concienciously as if every car were your own. To not let cars go out knowing they have problems.

I spent 5 years as a trader on here. I didn't get it right every time, I'm sure. I'm human and I do/did make mistakes, but I'll go out of my way to rectify those faults, and I would not let a car go knowing there's a fault. I enjoyed working on these cars and still do. I always tried to be friendly and courtious to my customers, but not at the expense of doing something badly.

There are pleanty of other traders on here that do good work. they get it wrong sometimes too, but they don't get it consistantly wrong, and as far as I'm aware, most other traders manage to rectify their own problems.

Sorry Matt, I've just re-read this post and it sounds a bit stroppy!. You know me, it's not meant to be. ;) :D

HAHAHA and why use a walking stick end, surely something else would be more suitable. What exactly did they use it for, pics of one fitted??

They used it to block if the idle/air control valve. It shouldn't be blocked off. If converting a car with a MAP sensor, (all JDM Supras), it simply needs a small air filter. :rolleyes:

Quite honestly, I'm pissed off now.

OK, so people have mentioned that TF issues have cropped up in the past and that their level of professionalism leaves a lot to be desired for.

Yes, I can also understand that a negative, but truthful comment about their work may also lead to a mass uprising of members on the forum.

However, I joined this club for 2 main reasons. A) To be part of the community and B) To pool the knowledge of others and their recommendations for who should work on our cars.

So whilst I can understand people were reluctant to post up any slanderous comments about TF and others, it would of been nice if the 'people in the know' just dropped a PM to members when asking about who they should use to service their cars etc.

I've lost my car now due to a) numerous problems that cots a lot of money, but also b) a lot of bad worksmanship and 'missed' or newly created problems.

Greg

I wish I could remember who it was I PM'd before they took their car to TF. I had seen a white Skyline R32 that had been bodged to f*** by TF getting fixed at another garage the day before.

such a shame to lose some great members.

terry

matt h

migster

eyefi

terminator

ian c is still around and is a sound bloke would trust him or any of above to do work on my car.u also know cw will do a top notch job on your car too.i have this thing in my head i would find it hard to trust any garage again.

such a shame to see long standing members slowly dissapear.

:amen:

I'd like to point out that I have no personal grudge against Sam or Greg. I'm sure they're really nice people, and probably real Supra enthusists, but IMHO it should have stayed that way. Enthusiasts.

Their business plan wasn't bad with the social scene etc, but the skill and knowledge just wasn't there.

But I also want to make it perfectly clear that neither myself, Ian, Terry, Alex, Tom, or anyone for that matter were vindictively trying to ruin their reputation.

I will only make a comment if I feel something is not right, and could cause problems for others that may not know what's right or wrong.

The errors they made weren't small ones. In many cases they were massive! And it's not just a recent thing. These 'mistakes' were highlighted over a year ago. The first one I saw was ToyotaToms Supra. The cock-ups on this car were so horrendous, they lead to Tom spending thousands more on the car, and eventually selling it as he'd lost all heart in Supra ownership.

In brief, here's a list of a few things that I had the 'pleasure' of seeing over the last year or so...

1, E-manage wiring that was absolutly appalling. Not only the wiring, but the lies that went with it, claiming that the E-manage was faulty. - They knew that because they'd 'tested' another one in it's place. - This could never be the case as the main power wire wasn't connected to a 12v source!!! (two other wires connected to the wrong pins also!) - And this was on a Fields harness!!!

2, Ridiculously huge T3 to T4 adapter that left the turbo mm away from a fibreglass bonnet

3, Several studs missing from head/manifold. Obviously they were too awkward to get to and weren't needed???

4, Lots of bodged wiring, including an amazingly extended AFR gauge loom that ran from the clock opening, down the passenger side, through the passenger wing grommet, back along the bulkhead and down the drivers side inner wing to the exhaust. - And it didn't work properly, despite being 'checked'...

5, Silicon oil breather hoses mm away from the turbo. (Fried Supra anyone?)

6, EGT probe left disconnected and coiled up in the engine bay.

7, Turbo clocked off to one side, meaning the oil return was never going to function properly, and would lead to very short turbo life expectancy

8, A breather hose routed along the rear of the engine bay that was getting crushed whenever the bonnet was closed... That wouldn't be so bad, but it wasn't even needed. It was connected to the Idle Air Control Valve, and routed around to the turbo intake.... this is ONLY required on MAF equipped cars, which Toms wasn't...

9, When asked to remove the above pipe, TF decided to block off the IACV with the end of a walking stick!!!!

10, Replacing a perfectly good HKS SSQV with a 'high quality' XS Power thing that was fitted so nicely that it had started rubbing and wearing its way through the radiator fan shroud.

All that was just on Toms car. June/July last year. Since then, I have seen more poorly/incorrectly mounted turbos, more walking stick ends, extended cables using bloody bell wire and not a drip of solder in sight, turbos that have only been tightened properly in one corner, leaving the rest to wind themselves out, appalling attempts at DIY exhaust systems, and not a gasket in sight, wiring to injectors bodged and connectors cut off....

There's plenty more, and I've not mentioned the shocking atrocities that I've heard about on some of their battery reloctaions, or auto to manual conversions....

As I've already said, I didn't say it before because I knew I'd get shot down again. However, as I said at the start, it not a personal thing against Sam or Greg, and in fact, if Sam has really lost £300k, then I feel really sorry for them both, and honestly wish them better luck in the future.

I've said my point, and that's it from me.

i cannot sit back and let you tell things that are simply untrue matt, i have used your services many times, and always walked away happy, but i simply cannot sit here and let you go on about the blocking off said pipes with "walking stick ends" get it right man they were broomstick ends:rolleyes::p