The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Turbofit Trader Status Removed

Branners

I'm torn on this whole episode. I first used TF simply because of the efforts they went to looking after my younger brother, he made his first move into Jap cars and unwittingly bought a bit of a problem car. TF were excellent, really really good. At that point they were also getting rave reviews on this forum.

I've not had a great deal done at TF, but what has been done will be independantly checked following recent revelations, but no problems so far.

I think all will agree that Greg and Sam set out with good intentions and have not been deliberately trying to rip people off. But there have also been issues.

It is also worth pointing out that we have only really heard one side of the story. It is Greg and Sams own fault in that they have not come on here and defended themselves, but even so we have only heard one side of the story.

Gaz had issues, but his car also won best car at JAE. It's fair to say that JamieP certainly likes to give it some with his car, and yet that I don't believe that any of the failures have been due to workmanship.

Apparently they did over 300 NA to T conversions, many many six speed conversions and lots of customers are happy.

But you can't escape some of the issues. I am not trying to defend them, and I certainly do not want to get into a discussion about them - it's over, lets move on. But I do feel sorry for them, they sunk their all into TF and have therefore lost it all. I just can't imagine what it must be like to have your dreams truly shattered.

I also feel sorry for those aggrieved, as a punter myself I am increasingly disillusioned by 'experts'. But at least it forces me to get off my ass and learn :D

I will miss the social element they brought to the club though.

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whoa whoa whoa. Turbofit are not more!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!

Ive been talking to Gregg all week. Last time was this afternoon and im taking my car down tomorrow. 200miles to them for the final checks and to fit my BC. Gregg never mentioned anything to me about closing!?!?!?

total shocker?!? why have they closed?! surely off the forum isnt the end of the world?!?!

I had a PM from Knight Racer the other day saying they have moved offices. i thought this was strange but the whole thing must have been in the pipe line for a while. i cant believe they havent let me know when i have outstanding work with them :(

I know this is slightly off topic but where exactly is/are knight racer now, I am going there tomorrow morning. Is everything still ok with those guys?

Knight Racer is now located at Unit 38 Tanners drive

whoa whoa whoa. Turbofit are not more!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!

Ive been talking to Gregg all week. Last time was this afternoon and im taking my car down tomorrow. 200miles to them for the final checks and to fit my BC. Gregg never mentioned anything to me about closing!?!?!?

total shocker?!? why have they closed?! surely off the forum isnt the end of the world?!?!

I had a PM from Knight Racer the other day saying they have moved offices. i thought this was strange but the whole thing must have been in the pipe line for a while. i cant believe they havent let me know when i have outstanding work with them :(

Saturday is the last official day of business there.

I'm torn on this whole episode. I first used TF simply because of the efforts they went to looking after my younger brother, he made his first move into Jap cars and unwittingly bought a bit of a problem car. TF were excellent, really really good. At that point they were also getting rave reviews on this forum.

I've not had a great deal done at TF, but what has been done will be independantly checked following recent revelations, but no problems so far.

I think all will agree that Greg and Sam set out with good intentions and have not been deliberately trying to rip people off. But there have also been issues.

It is also worth pointing out that we have only really heard one side of the story. It is Greg and Sams own fault in that they have not come on here and defended themselves, but even so we have only heard one side of the story.

Gaz had issues, but his car also won best car at JAE. It's fair to say that JamieP certainly likes to give it some with his car, and yet that I don't believe that any of the failures have been due to workmanship.

Apparently they did over 300 NA to T conversions, many many six speed conversions and lots of customers are happy.

But you can't escape some of the issues. I am not trying to defend them, and I certainly do not want to get into a discussion about them - it's over, lets move on. But I do feel sorry for them, they sunk their all into TF and have therefore lost it all. I just can't imagine what it must be like to have your dreams truly shattered.

I also feel sorry for those aggrieved, as a punter myself I am increasingly disillusioned by 'experts'. But at least it forces me to get off my ass and learn :D

I will miss the social element they brought to the club though.

to be honest mate a hell of a lot of work was redone by another garage about 3k extra it cost so i don,t think they should get any credit for my car winning best overall mate, having said that i did like greg and sam as people, but not business people, i had issues i felt something was amiss and got out:)

Thanks for the support guys, as I said I am hoping for the best. I have not been done wrong by Greg and Sam in the past and I am hoping the same is true in this case. ;)

joe really hope everything is going to be good for you mate it has been a crappy year for you:(

I expect it's cash flow not the loss of trader status that's caused the issue...

Don't forget they ASKED to be removed.

Wow.

This comes as quite a shock to me to be honest. Obviously I have read the 2 disputes in progress and hope for both parties all gets sorted.

I myself have had 1 or 2 issues from TF during the 18 months (maybe more) since I have been going there but nothing car crippling. Other than 1 or 2 marks on the paintwork which they always sorted out to their expense, I had nothing but an excellent service.

I had my NA-T conversion done almost 18 months back now and its very rarely missed a beat unless if it was to my error. The workmanship carried out was to a very high standard especially when compared to other single installs I had seen at shows. From where I have been looking I can not see any 'shortcuts or bodges' on my install and to say that they chose the wrong career choice is just absurd and disrespectful.

I am more than unhappy to say they have shut down as I now have to find somewhere else to trust with my car again, when I thought I had found somewhere throughout my supra ownership.

I guess it sounds like I am trying to defend them and in a way I probably am but all I am doing is going on my experience with them as that is all I can do. There isnt many garages that would let you phone them at around 6 in the morning with a bust down car in the hard shoulder of the M1 on fire and they sort a pickup out 80 miles north of where they're based.

Like I said at the start of the post though, I hope the members who have issues with them get them resolved.

With them shutting down all I can do is wish them the best for the future and thanks.

I had a few problems with my car and TF certainly sorted them out in the end.

There were a few case examples of ignorance though such as overfilling the oil, forgetting to put the undertray back on, forgetting to refit the expansion tanks etc, but all in all they did what they promised to do - fix my car.

I have always been most impressed by Greg. He's always been very helpful and I don't doubt his ability one single bit.

I think the key reason for TFs downfall was PLENTY of customers, a STACKED diary, and not enough time to complete all the jobs to a professional standard.

Compare this to someone like CW who can take a few months to complete a job and you'll see why there can be a massive difference and direct correlation in time vs quality. :)

I wish Greg, Same, Rob and co the very best of luck in the future.

i was quite shocked to read this as i thought that knight racer had gone down too. Luckily this isnt the case as they really sorted my car out after my crash and completely restored it to show condition.

I had a little bit of work done by turbofit and had to have a few minor things sorted out by another garage. Like most people i thought greg and sam were nice people too but super high prices and below par work meant that i wouldnt have used them again.

We weren't planning to comment on this. But just to clear things up....

Knight-Racer have re-located to Unit 38 Tanners Drive, over the road from Turbofit at Unit 110 Tanners Drive.

We are in the final stages of building our new Showroom, and were only planning to reveal this when it is complete (next week).

Business is as usual, our bodyshop schedule is still stacked out, bookings are still in place, no changes.

Although we based our offices in the same location as Turbofit, we are and have always been a completely separate entity.

Knight-Racer have had plans for its next step, but only actioned it this quickly due to being told just 1 week before the proposed closure date of Turbofit. So we do apologise if our customers havent been adequately informed.

I'm afraid we cannot comment on or on behalf of Turbofit.

This is abit similar to the mkiv store lark, although Martin was more of a twat(interpro are not though), Turbofit did things on the cheap under false pretenses and this is the result, businesses are only out to make money despite the best wishes of this forum, if you own an old jap car then don't expect it to be cheap, there are no real altruists in this life, you pays your money and takes your chance, these cars have engines, exhausts etc, any competent mechanic could look after them, they have a few idiosynchrosies like not using heat when changing cam belt etc etc but they are not space shuttle engines, use your common sense for christ's sake:)

I had a few problems with my car and TF certainly sorted them out in the end.

There were a few case examples of ignorance though such as overfilling the oil, forgetting to put the undertray back on, forgetting to refit the expansion tanks etc, but all in all they did what they promised to do - fix my car.

I have always been most impressed by Greg. He's always been very helpful and I don't doubt his ability one single bit.

I think the key reason for TFs downfall was PLENTY of customers, a STACKED diary, and not enough time to complete all the jobs to a professional standard.

Compare this to someone like CW who can take a few months to complete a job and you'll see why there can be a massive difference and direct correlation in time vs quality. :)

I wish Greg, Same, Rob and co the very best of luck in the future.

I think you were shafted mate

This is abit similar to the mkiv store lark, although Martin was more of a twat(interpro are not though), Turbofit did things on the cheap under false pretenses and this is the result, businesses are only out to make money despite the best wishes of this forum, if you own an old jap car then don't expect it to be cheap, there are no real altruists in this life, you pays your money and takes your chance, these cars have engines, exhausts etc, any competent mechanic could look after them, they have a few idiosynchrosies like not using heat when changing cam belt etc etc but they are not space shuttle engines, use your common sense for christ's sake:)

strange how they both went down the pan shortly after working on my car:search: so look out traders i just might book mine in with you:p

TF is not a cheap garage. I think that they are overpriced. Samsupra37 quoted me £3850 +vat for install these parts:

- PHR N/A-T kit

- headgasket

- clutch

- 5 gauges + Greddy EMU sensors and harnesses

- 2nd decat

- UK brakes (full set)

- TRD LSD

Yes, £3850 + vat only for a labour. :twak:

Really....I never thought they were that pricey

Lol Gaz mate, i realise you had trouble with Martin, I think i would of had but will not take crap, i actually saw your car whilst at interpro one day, i think the whole game is a diificult business, but i feel the forum is getting better, for me interpro are ok, what they did under contract for Martin was what he asked/told them to, but they are no fans of him, your car is fine though Gaz she looks awesome, lets hope we can all get traders on here we trust, i'm sure there will always be issues, but it is how they are sorted out that counts, perhaps we should use you as a tester!!:)

Guest gzaerojon

I am truley gutted to be reading this :(

i have used turbofit from the start, they did by bpu, cambelt and service shortly after i got the car and i was really happy with the work. So i always went back there even though it was a 240 mile round trip. They did my single conversion too only a few months back, and again i was over the moon with what they did, Greg and Sam are great people and i enjoyed spending my days there when they worked on my car. Greg always took the time to explain how things worked when i asked, and his knowledge of these cars is endless.

i hope things work out for them

Edit: just to add, i popped in to turbofit on the friday morning before JAE as i had a small oil leak, they found that the oil feed to the turbo was leaking, so they replaced the fitting and gasket while a waited so i could carry on to JAE, Greg also notice a strange hissing sound while the car was running, after a few minutes of fault finding he noticed that one of the injector rubbers had perrished. Greg temprorarily fixed the problem and asked me to bring the car back after JAE. I took it in and they fitted a full set of rubbers, Greg also helped me fit my new AEM wideband kit and then took me out of the road for some mapping on my safc2, we got her running perfectly at 1.2 bar and i was chuffed to bits. Greg refused to take payment. What a top bloke :thumbs: