The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Completly gutted, engine just let go

tooquicktostop

Seeing as we're getting things off our chest, I wouldn't trust my car to Dan if he were the last mapper on earth ! 20 hours of dyno and mapping time (I have taken out the amount charged for investigating) and all I got was a car with a wrecked gearbox, knackered turbo and loss of pressure on cylinder 3 ! Was Dan a man about it ? Nope, dumped the car at TF, claimed it wasn't holding boost and refused to take my calls or answer texts.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Nicholas
Seeing as we're getting things off our chest, I wouldn't trust my car to Dan if he were the last mapper on earth ! 20 hours of dyno and mapping time (I have taken out the amount charged for investigating) and all I got was a car with a wrecked gearbox, knackered turbo and loss of pressure on cylinder 3 ! Was Dan a man about it ? Nope, dumped the car at TF, claimed it wasn't holding boost and refused to take my calls or answer texts.

I haven't time to fill in the details right now as I've just got home from a business trip and want to see the missus and kids, but Dan is blowing engines and gearboxes up, TF are paying the bills as a customer service based garage should, and Dan gets to carry on at will.

I will post less emotionally later, but I trust TF with my car - Dan will never earn a penny more from me.

Maybe Turbofit should carry on the work but find a new mapper.

It sounds like most of these problems on the forum (single power / boost problems) come from the mapping and not the fitting. (talking Generally and not turbofit specific)

Interesting reading I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion so here's mine...

Dan mapped my car when it was running the T04r and he will be mapping my T51 the map he put on my car has been fantastic and I have no doubts about his mapping ability, I will always use Dan when it comes to mapping the AEM ECU.

the overboosting problems are't caused by Dan, i know of several cars he where he has sorted over boosting problems. Im not saying TF are at fault either. From what i have heard gaz/mine over boosting issue is a manifold problem. As any mapper will tell you if the car isn't in good shape something will break in the mapping session. Its not dan's job to check the car running fine.

the overboosting problems are't caused by Dan, i know of several cars he where he has sorted over boosting problems. Im not saying TF are at fault either. From what i have heard gaz/mine over boosting issue is a manifold problem. As any mapper will tell you if the car isn't in good shape something will break in the mapping session. Its not dan's job to check the car running fine.

Agreed, but a good mapper would a) resolve the issue if possible and without slagging off the garage that provided him the work and b) wouldn't go any further til it was fixed. Also, he would do basic checks on the engine before mapping.

IanR's car is at Turbofit, Dan blew it up last week. IanR was told it was an oil seal problem or something and TF decided to fix it at their cost. Quite simply Dan blew it up.

Guest Nicholas
dose anyone no if dan the mapper used to work for abbymotor sport?

Nope this has come up before and that was a different dan.

Can someone explain how overboost can be because of the manifold?

It can't, thats a rediculous thing to claim. That is unless Gaz's one is a completely different design to those used by the 20+ others with the XS manifold that have had NO SIGN of this issue.

If it were an XS power wastegate I'd put it down to that as there have been plenty of problems with them (mine too). But thats been swapped with a decent, new HKS one so I think that can be ruled out too.

Gaz, is this surging to 1.8 or is there simply no wastegate control at all?

I feel for you muffleman as my engine was blown up during a mapping session with someone aswell. Problem is the mapper is not the one who should be checking the engine i.e compression testing/leak down tests. When my engine blew up the mapper said it was an oil leak and i had no option but to get a new engine.

Right,

1) The manifold can increase back pressure. IF it's undersized significantly...

2) HKS 50mm gates come with 0.8/9bar springs by default...

3) I'm glad to see everyone getting things off their chest :)

4) We need pictures.

5) Is the pressure fitting in the turbo compressor properly tapped? Ie does it actually get through the internal side? Is the fitting clean? Can you blow through it?

6) Has all the other pipework been tested for boost leaks not just the vac hose - inc the intake manifold?

Man sometimes I wonder why we bother with this modifying lark. There aren't many cars that I hear of that haven't developed some sort of major problem. I think my diff is either not as advertised or buggering up. My gearbox won't last much longer if I leave the changes as they are.

Jamie has lunched as many diffs as I've had hot breakfasts :)

Engines have popped on pretty much every tuning firms dyno I know of.

Even BPU cars blow off induction pipes regularly.

Boost spikes are an occupational hazard of extra boost.

Its a bloody depressing roller coaster ride. One minute you have awesome jaw dropping power the next a funny noise or a complete loss of power. I can to a certain degree understand why people stay stock with a car.

Man sometimes I wonder why we bother with this modifying lark. There aren't many cars that I hear of that haven't developed some sort of major problem. I think my diff is either not as advertised or buggering up. My gearbox won't last much longer if I leave the changes as they are.

Jamie has lunched as many diffs as I've had hot breakfasts :)

Engines have popped on pretty much every tuning firms dyno I know of.

Even BPU cars blow off induction pipes regularly.

Boost spikes are an occupational hazard of extra boost.

Its a bloody depressing roller coaster ride. One minute you have awesome jaw dropping power the next a funny noise or a complete loss of power. I can to a certain degree understand why people stay stock with a car.

Its an expensive hobby but worth it when you beat the crap out of a lambo:D

I don't think thats a fair statement Bri, there are plenty of conversions that have gone fine and are still fine after several years. Nearly every one of the people with major issues in this post has a link to TF or Dan.

I have a log here of all those that have reported problems (it's shockingly big) and these names come up at least once for each person. I'm not slandering, this is fact.

Regarding the manifold comment from Alex, does anyone have a pic of Gaz's engine bay? I remember the manifold is exactly the same as mine when I saw it at Suprapod, but can't remeber if it was modified to a clocked position... I looked into clocking mine but decided it wasn't possible to do well as it'd blocked a huge amount of flow to the turbo.

Xs power are complete bab, they are cheap copies of HKS and the price reflects how rubbish they are.

It can't, thats a rediculous thing to claim. That is unless Gaz's one is a completely different design to those used by the 20+ others with the XS manifold that have had NO SIGN of this issue.

If it were an XS power wastegate I'd put it down to that as there have been plenty of problems with them (mine too). But thats been swapped with a decent, new HKS one so I think that can be ruled out too.

Gaz, is this surging to 1.8 or is there simply no wastegate control at all?

Xs power are complete bab, they are cheap copies of HKS and the price reflects how rubbish they are.

What are you basing that on? Why would this affect Gaz's problem when no one else has had problems with the manifold?

Also they are not copies of the HKS manifold, they are completely different :rolleyes:

I don't think thats a fair statement Bri, there are plenty of conversions that have gone fine and are still fine after several years. Nearly every one of the people with major issues in this post has a link to TF or Dan.

I just mean modifying in general. For every car out there that has fantastic decent 100% trouble free work done theres 10 that haven't.

Look at other tuners that aren't mentioned in the current pow wow. Cars have gone bang on all the biggies dyno's. The tech section is always crammed full of problematic motors. I'm not saying either way about any one firm being responsible for problems just that a huge percentage of modified cars have problems.

I have wondered if I should get a BPU 6speed manual and be done with it, but Bri you and I both know that if you have the modifying bug, then a BPU wont be enough for long.

I just don't know who to use or trust anymore, I have heard bad about most traders on here. I do like TF and trust them, but right now I'm just stuck in the middle with an empty wallet.

Have to admit I get pee'd off with the trader infighting on here, makes it damn difficult for us poor punters in the middle.

All I will say about the trader fighting is to quote the proverb, 'only a small person has to stand on others to reach greater heights' or something like that ;)

Sorry are you being touchy because you bought one.

What are you basing that on? Why would this affect Gaz's problem when no one else has had problems with the manifold?

Also they are not copies of the HKS manifold, they are completely different :rolleyes: