The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Completly gutted, engine just let go

tooquicktostop

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took a risk and went with the XS kit as a base. . It represented a £1.5k saving over premier kits

I'm sure you'll agree that on Bodykits ... if you pay cheap it'll cost more in the longrun. The same I think applies to those manifolds.

It be an arnout cast or a BL tubular for me - no if's no buts.

what would have caused this [ATTACH]59451[/ATTACH]

It's only a rubber hose inside that wrap, it looks like the rubber inside has melted and the braid is just about holding it together. Maybe it was touching the no1 runner. That could have been very nasty!

Edit - also that looks like an aeroquip hose, on something vital like an oil drain it should have a threaded re-usable aeroquip fitting, not a bl**dy jubilee clip!!

I have a couple of reference pics from the BL manifold. You can see the twin pipes of good internal diameter going off to the wastegate (HKS), and the quality of the welds and smoothness at the collector.

Those XS manifold pictures, holy smoke. Why put that on your car, why. One glance inside that collector should ring alarm bells. To continue to install it, well, blimey. It's like realising you are putting diesel in and then shrugging your shoulders and thinking "nah, it'll be OK, besides, it's cheaper than V-Power" and brimming the tank off.

-Ian

BLMani_1.jpg

BLMani_2.jpg

BLMani_3.jpg

And here are a couple of shots of the oil return hose that BL supplied, plus a bonus shot of the manifold collector again.

Note the lack of cheap garden hose, instead it's a high temp oil carrying braided rubber hose with big aeroquip fittings.

-Ian

BL_oildrain.jpg

BL_oildrain2.jpg

the car is back together now, and will be mapped later today:d they have horned it out so i can use it until i can order a new manifold, the oil pipe showed in the pics had basically just melted as it was not the right type, could have been disastrous:( i have kept the hks wastegate, so here,s hoping it will be ok for me to pick up tonight/ early tomorow:D

Guest Nicholas
the car is back together now, and will be mapped later today:d they have horned it out so i can use it until i can order a new manifold, the oil pipe showed in the pics had basically just melted as it was not the right type, could have been disastrous:( i have kept the hks wastegate, so here,s hoping it will be ok for me to pick up tonight/ early tomorow:D

Excellent news gaz, maybe a pm to muffleman to see if he's selling his old HKS manifold? :)

Gaz,

Glad to hear they are getting there.

Be aware that with a change of manifold you're also looking at needing the DP modded and possibly the intake.

Tell Dan to map to 1.4bar and set the FuelCut/BoostCut to 1.5bar.

Gaz,

Glad to hear they are getting there.

Be aware that with a change of manifold you're also looking at needing the DP modded and possibly the intake.

Tell Dan to map to 1.4bar and set the FuelCut/BoostCut to 1.5bar.

cheers mate ;)

Guest Nicholas
Steady on, haven't even thought about what I will say to the missus when a new £1000 manifold turns up :eek:

bribe her with a cheap holiday it always works ;)

Is that drain hose neoprene with a fancy imitation braid over it? :(

Drains should be metal until well away from the manifold and turbo, then a proper flexi section.

Is that drain hose neoprene with a fancy imitation braid over it? :(

Drains should be metal until well away from the manifold and turbo, then a proper flexi section.

Yep, I wonder what expert specced that bit of fishtank plumbing :)

-Ian