The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Completly gutted, engine just let go

tooquicktostop

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those pictures show a classic rounded-off piston due to short but sustained detonation. It's certainly not a...

3rd I have not been responsible for any of the servicing, maintenance, or modifying of Deans car or infact any of the cars being discussed. I can only map with what I am given in these cases.

...servicing or maintenance issue, so no slopey shouldering off in the direction.

However,

1st The engine did not "Blow up". I tend to stop well before this point. No flames, no holes, no rattles etc It lost the capacity to maintain cylinder pressure on cylinder number 2. This is most likely caused by either piston or ring failure. The result is high crankcase pressure i.e. breathing. I have borescoped the engine and can see 6 pistons still in their bores.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showpost.php?p=1469708&postcount=149

So there you go, you haven't got a blown up engine, it's official :blink:

-Ian

Those pictures show a classic rounded-off piston due to short but sustained detonation. It's certainly not a...

...servicing or maintenance issue, so no slopey shouldering off in the direction.

However,

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showpost.php?p=1469708&postcount=149

So there you go, you haven't got a blown up engine, it's official :blink:

-Ian

Yes that makes me feel so much better about having my engine back in 3 cardboard boxes :D

Yes that makes me feel so much better about having my engine back in 3 cardboard boxes :D

Well I admire your stoicism mate. I'd be gutted if that was mine. God knows I've had enough practice.

I've got a set of stock pistons (used but sound) that I'm willing to donate if you get another block.

Cant be arsed going through the thread again but did Dan say he had a endoscope down through the plug hole and say the pistons looked ok?:(:( I could be wrong though

To be fair he said the pistons were still in the bores, so not a fully catastrophic failure of the piston.

He did also say that it had most likely suffered from piston or ring failure of some kind.

If he was just having a quick look then I could imagine 20-30% of the edge of one piston not being intact could easily be missed.