The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Completly gutted, engine just let go

tooquicktostop

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear the news Dean.

What boost, fuel and afr's were you running? We're you in the 12's repeatedly while mapping on pump fuel? Any idea what you're egt's were doing or what timing you had at that point?

Lastly what fuel rail and setup are you running other than the 650's?

Sorry to hear the news Dean.

What boost, fuel and afr's were you running? We're you in the 12's repeatedly while mapping on pump fuel? Any idea what you're egt's were doing or what timing you had at that point?

Lastly what fuel rail and setup are you running other than the 650's?

I thought he meant he wanted to run a 12sec 1/4 ;)

But the AFR's would be interesting reading if you can get the datalogs.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=114764 yes it is nice, anyway back on track:p

Its tempting because if I re built it would be done to a high spec which would buy be a good car, not sure I want to keep throwing money at a 13 year old Toyota, not feeling the best about stuff right now and may feel different in the morning :(

I thought he meant he wanted to run a 12sec 1/4 ;)

But the AFR's would be interesting reading if you can get the datalogs.

I think you're right Alex - I read it too quick!

What else has has happened to cars Dan has been mapping?

With all the monitoring going on whilst being mapped, it should not have gone pop as a result of detonation. If that was the cause, I'd not be best pleased with the mapper for pushing it too far.

I have been very careful about who works on my car after paying well over the odds with my R32 GTR a couple of years ago and Dan has a great reputation on hear and in the tuning world thats why I used him, but nothing surprises me anymore and I will be asking some questions tomorrow when I have calmed down :(

Feel for you mate... including the damage it does to your aspiratons and wallet. :(

As you probably know I can totally empathise with you and the sinking feeling in your guts takes a long time to go.

As I keep saying the the missus... ultimately the money isn't the issue... it's being without the supra and the smiles it brings which is the killer.

Chin up mate...

:blink: Really?

Well I have been ripped off before and have paid over the odds for work also so I used this forum to make a choice on who was going to do the work on my car, 7 months ago TF and Dan were getting so much praise and compliments and everyone I asked said yes to there work, I have never seen anyone speak of poor tuning from Dan, maybe I just missed that thread ??

PM me with the details Darryl. As you know, I am thinking of going single and really need some recommendations as to who can tune my car.

Thinking, emanage ultimate / AEM.

AEM - speak to Wez's mapper he's done a fine job (you'll have to ask Wez for details). Also, Ryan G seems to have done a nice job on Homer's (fingers crossed) but has said he's not done AEM's before.

EMU - IanC.

To put the kit on; Pheonix, Envy or Chris Wilson.

AEM - speak to Wez's mapper he's done a fine job (you'll have to ask Wez for details). Also, Ryan G seems to have done a nice job on Homer's (fingers crossed) but has said he's not done AEM's before.

EMU - IanC.

To put the kit on; Pheonix, Envy or Chris Wilson.

Thx Buddy, Pheonix to put the kit on for sure. Thx for the advice on the mappers.

I was one of the guys pushing you back to the parking area mate and remember thinking I hope this never happens to me, who is doing your work ??

:D i,m rebuilding it myself just waiting onsome engine internals to arrive.

Exactly what fuelling mods did you have in place when it let go and do you know what boost, afr, ign timing and octane was at the time?

i,m running 780cc injectors on a t67. it was running learn most of the day.but when my engine let go the afr were in the 12s at 1.1 bar not sure how much the timing was pulled as i did't bother to download the data from the emanage ultimate. YET

Dan assumes and says as much that your entire engine system is all in order before he starts tuning your car. Its up to you to ensure your mods are correct and up to the task. Also on any given modded engine you asking for trouble at some point. Some let go some don't. I remember a period of time when when both thor and whiffi had a spate of blow ups on the dyno. The common denominator was in fact the aem ecu. Not very re-assuring when I myself am running same ecu lol.