The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Completly gutted, engine just let go

tooquicktostop

Man sometimes I wonder why we bother with this modifying lark. There aren't many cars that I hear of that haven't developed some sort of major problem. I think my diff is either not as advertised or buggering up. My gearbox won't last much longer if I leave the changes as they are.

Jamie has lunched as many diffs as I've had hot breakfasts :)

Engines have popped on pretty much every tuning firms dyno I know of.

Even BPU cars blow off induction pipes regularly.

Boost spikes are an occupational hazard of extra boost.

Its a bloody depressing roller coaster ride. One minute you have awesome jaw dropping power the next a funny noise or a complete loss of power. I can to a certain degree understand why people stay stock with a car.

No problems here (been single for 6 years) apart from a slipping autobox which has now done >80000 miles (25k at over 500bhp)

Loving it.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have wondered if I should get a BPU 6speed manual and be done with it, but Bri you and I both know that if you have the modifying bug, then a BPU wont be enough for long.

I just don't know who to use or trust anymore, I have heard bad about most traders on here. I do like TF and trust them, but right now I'm just stuck in the middle with an empty wallet.

Have to admit I get pee'd off with the trader infighting on here, makes it damn difficult for us poor punters in the middle.

All I will say about the trader fighting is to quote the proverb, 'only a small person has to stand on others to reach greater heights' or something like that ;)

Yeah and now I am stuck wondering what to do with my car now. It needs a tune finishing off and I am scared my poor old xmsn will grenade itself if I push the full power the turbo's got. As a man that scares easily I am trying to bolster my confidence to book in for its next step even though the speed on the car makes everyone I know gasp already.

No problems here (been single for 6 years) apart from a slipping autobox which has now done >80000 miles (25k at over 500bhp)

Loving it.

Yeah but heres the thing you have a huge technical knowledge and can strip an engine no bothers so a small fault isn't likely to either A phase you or B happen because you take preventative measures like checking components thoroughly before fitting them.

I just mean modifying in general. For every car out there that has fantastic decent 100% trouble free work done theres 10 that haven't.

Oh yes, I see what you mean now, sorry. Got to agree with you there.

Sorry are you being touchy because you bought one.

Not at all, my post was not touchy in any way, I was simply trying to find out why you posted such a stuong opinion on the XS kit without any reason or techincal input as to why it is "bab". Those that know me will know I don't care much for XS stuff or 'big up' stuff I've bought/owned simple because it's what I have. If the intention of your message was to annoy me you'll be taking a break from the forum. I'd like this thread to remain on topic as it's important to the members and traders concerned.

Why are you threatening me?

I have said nothing out of order or offensive...i think you're out of order!

Not at all, those that know me will know I don't care much for XS stuff or 'big up' stuff I've bought/owned simple because it's what I have. If the intention of your message was to annoy me you'll be taking a break from the forum. I'd like this thread to remain on topic as it's important to the members and traders concerned.

Xs power are complete bab, they are cheap copies of HKS and the price reflects how rubbish they are.

What are you basing that on? Why would this affect Gaz's problem when no one else has had problems with the manifold?

Also they are not copies of the HKS manifold, they are completely different :rolleyes:

Sorry are you being touchy because you bought one.

Not at all, my post was not touchy in any way, I was simply trying to find out why you posted such a stuong opinion on the XS kit without any reason or techincal input as to why it is "bab". Those that know me will know I don't care much for XS stuff or 'big up' stuff I've bought/owned simple because it's what I have. If the intention of your message was to annoy me you'll be taking a break from the forum. I'd like this thread to remain on topic as it's important to the members and traders concerned.

XS power manifolds are proper cracking:)

IIRC when Homer installed his XS power mani, he had nothing but problems trying to get it fitted, which required several trips to a local fabricator to make mods to it so that his BL67 tubby could be correctly positioned. If think he also had probs trying to get the wastegate and screamer all in situ.

I think Darryls experience of the XS Power kit was nothing but a headache for him.

Matt's banned from the thread for ignoring my request.

I think Darryls experience of the XS Power kit was nothing but a headache for him.

Just to clarify The kit as a whole was poorly designed, but the manifold was fine. Can we get back on topic please.

im running the manifold with a tial 46mm and no problems what so ever i can hold 0.8bar to 6800rpm.

either the dump pipe has too many 90 degree angles causing a restriction or the side feed pipe to wastegate has hole or connected wrong

Guest dturne81

I've been notified by at least 10people today of this thread. And did not imagine to find what I did when I read the 9 pages as it is now!

I feel that a couple of points need to be made by myself in relation to the start of this thread. Dean Tracey's Supra failing on the dyno.

1st The engine did not "Blow up". I tend to stop well before this point. No flames, no holes, no rattles etc It lost the capacity to maintain cylinder pressure on cylinder number 2. This is most likely caused by either piston or ring failure. The result is high crankcase pressure i.e. breathing. I have borescoped the engine and can see 6 pistons still in their bores.

2nd (Alex this one is for you) The car was being mapped to Deans instructions. "safe boost and Nitrous" I was aiming for 1.5bar on the high setting. To achieve this safe mapping slightly higher boost has to be visited to allow for comprehensive mapping. The piston or ring failed whilst momentarily at 1.75bar during mapping. Nitrous was not being used at the time but had been used earlier to set-up.

3rd I have not been responsible for any of the servicing, maintenance, or modifying of Deans car or infact any of the cars being discussed. I can only map with what I am given in these cases.

4th The car was producing 580bhp and 730Nm without Nitrous at 1.5bar.

5th Have had the pleasure of knowing Dean for 2 years now and think he truely is a top guy. I also know of the heartache and financial burden that he has gone through modifying his cars. I was very much looking for forward to finally finishing his car for him yesterday and did not enjoy making the bad news call to him.

6th Can't help but take it personally when people question my mapping competence and integrety.

Next point for me to comment on will be the Overboosting problem of Gazs car.

I believe the term methodical best describes my approach to problems....and method always gives a result. After eliminating all other options (and replacing a cheap HKS copy WG with a genuine one) the only other potential faulty component is the exhaust manifold itself. So I removed the Turbo and looked at the inside of the manifold and found the problem.... Quick fact 50mm wastegate has a surface area of 19.63cc2 (Squared) for excess exhaust gas to flow through. Unfortunately the XS Power manifold has a surface area of 0.75cc2 for the gas to flow through as it leaves the manifold to go to the wastegate. I.e. The hole is too small!

This is not caused by incorrect supply, fitment or wastegate setup..... its caused by cheap manufacturing tolerances. I now know this is what is causing overboosting on certain other cars with XS Power manifolds.

I don't know how to post photos but if anyone would like to email me at [email protected] I'll send the photos through.

Ian Rs car failing on the dyno. 2nd full load site the car failed big end bearings..... Not exactly a mapping issue. The car only ran on the dyno for 15minutes!

I'd also like to know how my mapping has bust gearboxes.... Although an excess of torque does go a long way to breaking boxes.

Next point I NEVER WORKED FOR ABBEY!!!! Don't think they'd have me to be honest. However I have performed calibration engineering (Posh word for mapping) for Cosworth, Prodrive, Mugen Honda, Jaguar, Landrover, ******, *******, *****, ***, *******, ******, *****,(Best not to mention other tuning companies on here so ***** will do) and many other high profile companies, race teams and private clients.

Turbofit are a client of mine but I have never worked for them as an employee. Sam and Greg are great people and have only had customers best intentions at heart.

I hope this helps. If anyone would like to discuss mapping or tuning with me feel free to call me on 07814 434283 or 01908 648955. I will warn you I am exceptionally busy at the moment and not great at getting to the phone and even worse at replying to text!

Last comment is for Dean. I know how addicted to making your car fast you are, and I do not see this as the end for you. I'd hope that this is the beggining of the final chapter of your supra story where you use all of your personal experience and gut feeling to make the best decision of what to do next. Whatever you do do not buy another type of car to tune and only use people that you

ps I have never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever EVER used Autotune! Don't need to ;)