The mkiv Supra Owners Club

~~~ Supra Pod 2007 ~~~ (questions, chit-chat, etc)

mawby

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good on you guys who're giving it a go :)

I've spoken to two long term members today who sounded genuinely terrified at the thought of taking their car down the drag strip. I'll say the say thing here as I told them - its incredibly simple to do, it’s just a straight bit of tarmac which you accelerate down! You're not up against the lights so even if you sit on the line for 30s it doesn't matter. It’s more grippy than the road so you as you get more goes (bearing in mind more than 2-3 isn’t possible any other event at Pod), the more aggressive you will get with the throttle. The auto owners will find it very simple indeed.

There will only a small crowd of people from the forum, most of whom will be Drag racing newbies; it's not as though you have thousands of spectators like at RWYB or Jap Show ;)

To anyone having 2nd thoughts, just do it :D You will not regret it. The adrenalin rush as you sit there on the start line looking at that "Santa Pod" finish line is just superb :cool:

Oh and James, no problem, perhaps you can make it to the Reading meet on Tuesday next week? I can cover you until then.

If anybody has a concern then we can run a quick tutorial by watching the first few runners and explaining what they are doing. Its quite simple once you see what happens and its addictive, once you try it you want to keep getting it right and nobody ever gets it 100% right.

If you ever want to try drag racing then this is the time and place to do it. Everybody there will be friends (assuming we can get enough competitors and dont have to go out to other clubs), so make the most of it.

JB

blimey, totally forgot about this. just paid up :D hope paypal are nice and quick :)

will need a tutorial! i went to the pod a few years back in my MGF (dont laugh) but i forgot my driving licence :( d'oh!

might be being blind, havnt seen a definate yes/no to skid lids! i've got one just incase anyway :D

I've only done it once, and i must admit its such a buzz! My only problem is the same as Jamies. My cars in the bodyshop. Supposedly back with me on the friday, but its risky for me to pay, then not have my car. :( Otherwise i'd have jumped at it.

Will any of the catering facilities be open ? Or is it a case of bring ya packed lunch ?

The Pod Cafe is open during the day (the food is actually rather good for this type of venue).

Jezzybabes & QSD will have their 40ft motorhome there too, which will be offering free tea and coffee during the day :)

Paid.

I didn't include my full real name as the PM from homer didn't say to do this! (as I've just red in Bold, Red Size 7 Font on the other thread)

On the Paypal payments please use the title Supra Pod 2007 and make sure you include your username and, for participants, your cars license plate number, in the space for the extra/delivery details. A list of license plate numbers will be given to the security gaurd and only those on the list will be allowed onto the track.

I think you know it by now anyway.

I've no idea who is coming with me so I'll pay for them on the day.

To be honest I'm not relishing the thought of ragging my car up the strip, but it's something I've wanted to try for a while and see just what results I can get. Best opportunity really.

The first and only time I tried a 1/4 mile was at the TOC event at brunters in my bpu, it was a really good laugh. Very easy, very safe, but hard to get it right, and you learn a lot about how to get your car off the line... good skills to learn!:innocent:

I had about 20 runs in the end, with the highlight being ahead of the Envy car, through 1st, second and most of third until he found 4th gear and then I'll never forget the violence of the thing when it came past.

It's a really good laugh, and this is cheap, safe, friendly day so give the old girl's legs a stretch and sign up...!

Paid.

Nice one Pete, good to have you along. There's no corners at Pod, you know that right? :p

I didn't include my full real name as the PM from homer didn't say to do this! (as I've just red in Bold, Red Size 7 Font on the other thread)

Apologies for that, it was a copy/paste from the main instructions page but didn't contain the detailed instructions on how to sign up. On that note do I need to spam another message... :p

Please tell this to my rear wheels before every run ;) I'm sure I could get much further into the 12's with some better grip :)

Well, it was mainly aimed at the drag "virgins", rather than the ones pushing for better times (though that transition happens very quickly :D )

We're paying for a fully prepped track and as we have just 75 cars on (only a couple with full slicks) it should mean better grip than ever for Pod.

OK! advise needed? Ive signed up to run, and am a DRAG VIRGIN,:innocent: :D My soop is AUTO, TT, and want to know the best way to get the best time, IE traction off :D leave in Drive, hit the loud pedal. OR RUN through the gears in man, 1st / 2nd, with O/D off? Any advise welcome, thanks.....

OK! advise needed? Ive signed up to run, and am a DRAG VIRGIN,:innocent: :D My soop is AUTO, TT, and want to know the best way to get the best time, IE traction off :D leave in Drive, hit the loud pedal. OR RUN through the gears in man, 1st / 2nd, with O/D off? Any advise welcome, thanks.....

Adi has a great technique for the stock TT'd auto's, he had a superb time last time we were up there :)

We're trying to sort out a tutorial session on the day with a Pro/experiened person for both the auto's and manuals. Even if this doesn't work, there will be plenty of experienced people there on the day to chat and get advice from - HINT: The queue is a great chance to have a chat with the experts... they never leave there cars so have no choice but talk to you :D :D