The mkiv Supra Owners Club

~~~ Supra Pod 2007 ~~~ (questions, chit-chat, etc)

mawby

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes great day Mods, couldn't have gone any better except maybe more people running, me included! :innocent:

Having not made any any changes to my car except making it heavier with sounds etc, didn't think i'd have a chance in hell of beating my pb yesterday so it wasnt really worth it, DEFINATELY will if we do this again next year!

Well done to Rob i think it was with the white BL Auto T67, what a nice chap he is, and pulled some consistant times even if his intake temps where higher than he'd hoped, losing him 3deg ign advance! next time eh mate, good effort! :thumbs:

Guest RogueMotorsport

Hi All,

Just wanted to pop on and say thanks to everyone involved for putting together such a great event. Seriously good value for money for both competitors and spectators, and whoever organised the weather got it just right! If you're planning to makes this an annual event then I'm sure there would be a good deal of support from the MR2 clubs if you wanted to collaborate.

We'd also like to extend our thanks to Gaz and Kev from Envy and to JohnK for help in the wheelnut department. The drag radials we ran in the afternoon required slimmer nuts than we'd brought with us and without their kind assistance we'd have been unable to use them. Thanks as well to Andy Barnes for his words of wisdom.

Although we do run a race team (in the MR2 Challenge series - http://www.mr2challenge.com), we were indeed only responsible for Andrew Standring's red MR2 that ran at Santa Pod. The gold MR2 belongs to AndyF and the black one to SimonW from YVS.

Meant to have a chat with them as I'm building my MR2 too, but they just kept on running and running :cool:

Andrew had two objectives for the day - get a 10 second quarter and drive the car home. Since home was 200+ miles away, he stopped once he'd got the ten! I don't think we realised just how many runs he'd put in until it came time to collect the slips, and they just kept on coming!

Thats interesting, they were running R888s, was there any supras running R888s?

Andrew runs R888 tyres on his road rims, so most of the morning was spent on those. I can't remember whether 11.2 or 11.01 was his fastest time on street rubber - possibly the latter, but I didn't get that run on video to confirm. In the afternoon we switched to BF Goodrich drag radials.

yeah they got to around 10.8sec I think fast little MR2 even if the exhausts looked as if they were going to fall off with every gear change. Shame I didnt get to have a look love the little MR2 and would love another just to do up.

Lol! It was a little touch and go with the exhaust towards the end... What had happened was that the movement of the engine was such that it tore the rubber bushes out of the exhaust hangers on both sides. We did our best to rig something up with wire, but it'll need a proper fix later.

I've got some footage of the day if anyone's interested, but it is only of the MR2s:

The red MR2 is Andrew's daily driver - he still does the shopping in it - so it's a drag focussed car rather than an out-and-out racer. It still has all of it's original trim etc. We removed the seats and fitted a bucket at the circuit, lost the spoiler and added race fuel and drag radials as the day progressed. Andrew's first few runs (shown on the video with spoiler still in place) were in road trim with road fuel and tyres.

Best regards,

Patrick Mortell

Rogue Motorsport Ltd

01676 530222

Great job Patrick :thumbs: Might have been you I spoke to a few weeks ago about the possibility of strengthened gearboxes for the '2 as I'm currently building mine.

If I need anything I'll give you a shout :)

Be interested to know the spec of the red one ?

Cheers

Matt

Good news indeed.

Planning next year yet? ;)

Good idea, is any cheaper for really early booking?

Same sort of Sat again, i'm sure as many if not more would attend next time.

An annual event/test day like that would have to be a must for the events calender, over some of the more "congested" shows on throughout the year.

How many cars actually ran, was it closer to 50 than 75 as I recall POD doing a 50 car deal which should be a little cheaper.
About 68 I think. Thankfully Branners was in his normal tight mode and so managed to get pod to agree to 75 spaces for the price of 50. Just as well really as we would have made a big loss if we had paid for 75 to run.

About 68 I think. Thankfully Branners was in his normal tight mode and so managed to get pod to agree to 75 spaces for the price of 50. Just as well really as we would have made a big loss if we had paid for 75 to run.

I see, bonus then, well done, would we be going for 75 at the next one then?