The mkiv Supra Owners Club

~~~ Supra Pod 2007 ~~~ (questions, chit-chat, etc)

mawby

Fair point, but the travel all adds to the cost of the day and the main thing putting me off is that I thought it would be cheaper anyway.

Sorry, don't remember the initial cost being quoted as that much, perhaps I didn't read it as well as I thought, apologies!

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And whats the big deal about £50, its just another tank of fuel right?

Not wishing to stir anything up but, not everyone earns a fortune and that includes some of the long standing members that purchased a Supra when they cost real money.

Fair point, but the travel all adds to the cost of the day and the main thing putting me off is that I thought it would be cheaper anyway.
The cheaper public days you refer to are very popular, so lots of people turn up, hence they can offer the tickets very cheap. But they don't care how long you have to queue for to run or how many times you actually get to use the track. We wanted to offer an event where members only have to queue for a few minutes before running and members could also have many goes down the track throughout the day. Therefore we decided to limit the numbers and set a price around that.

To put it into perspective; if the club is to get anywhere near breaking-even with this event we need to sell all 70 participant spaces and have 200 spectators turning up!

I just hope it doesn't rain as the dryer costs approx £1k an hour to use and that isn't accounted for above!

Just to add to my previous post, this may not be "cheap" but it is great value for money!

I have queued at pot on event and RWYB days and it's like spending your day in what seems like an eternal traffic jam, with the car getting nicely heat soaked and just when you get to the front of the que it either rains or they stop you for 15 mins to let the bikes run.

This event should be a dream compared to that nightmare.

okay, got some more answers

1) crash helmets - they are still being relaxed about this. If you are running 120mph terminals then expect to be asked to use a helmet. Below that and you 'should' be okay unless you are snaking up the track like a loony. So crash hats are optional for most BPU people.

2) camping - they are actively considering letting people camp over on Saturday night. HOWEVER, the gates will be locked at 6pm and you wont be able to get out. THey will confirm if its possible shortly.

3) we will be looking to start the drag runs for 9.30am, gates will open at 8.30am

4) the whole pit area track side is available for us to use as we see fit. We may keep a small area set aside for 'gorgeous cars' and for one of the traders and their winebego. The rest of it we will allow free reign for supra parking.

5) apparently when the RWYB days are on the whole 'fire up lane' contains about 150 cars, so we should fill that lane up to about half way, which means a seriously quick turnaround for competitors. Sort of like it was when RWYB first started.

any other questions?

JB

Trophies ordered today. Settled on:

Fastest Stock Turbo Supra

Fastest Aftermarket Turbo Supra

Fastest Non-turbo Supra

Fastest 60ft

Could be interesting getting the car ready in time, we are changing the bearings (they have to come from the states first!)and need to re-map the car before next weekend.

Gaz.

Really looking forward to this :) It's going to be the first time ever that I've been anywhere near a drag strip. I'll probably embarrass myself, but can't wait anyway! :D

Well done to all the mods and guys involved in sorting this! Has anyone thought of magazine coverage yet?

JB - did you manage to persuade Leon to come?

Gaz.

I was typing a reply about Leon and then closed the window by mistake.

Went round to see him today (I work for Daimler Chrysler in MK now so he is local) but he wasnt there. I told his son about the event and he said they were still waiting for parts to come in. Im going to call him tomorrow to try and make sure he can make it. Its an opportunity not to miss, a fully prepped track and almost no queuing.

So hopefully he will be there.

JB

Trophies ordered today. Settled on:

Fastest Stock Turbo Supra

Fastest Aftermarket Turbo Supra

Fastest Non-turbo Supra

Fastest 60ft

Gaz.

Me too. :D

Best engine bay detail

Best modified

Best overall club car.

Get the polish out guys n gals. ;)

Paid List Spreadsheet updated and attached to main event thread as of 11PM 10th April 2007.

Again, there are still people not sending full information - please read the instructions CAREFULLY before sending Paypal payments. Anyone that has a '**Not Given**' on their entry line should email as per paid list post update instructions to send any additional information.

Cheers,

Brian.

The cheaper public days you refer to are very popular, so lots of people turn up, hence they can offer the tickets very cheap. But they don't care how long you have to queue for to run or how many times you actually get to use the track. We wanted to offer an event where members only have to queue for a few minutes before running and members could also have many goes down the track throughout the day. Therefore we decided to limit the numbers and set a price around that.

In addition for those who think it's expensive. Japshow for you and your passenger to enter the site will set you back £30 for you both. Then an extra £15 for just 3 runs, and that's if you can get 3 in. £12 more on top of Japshow prices to have at least 3 or 4 runs sounds a bargain to me :clap:

Both very good points!

Ok, quick question if you don't mind.... if its £52 per competitor and £5 for a spectator, how much would it be for two competitors but running the same car (ie there would only be one of the 2 out on track or queueing up at any one time). Would it be £104 or £57?

My girlfriend wants to pop her 1/4 cherry but I quite fancied seeing what the Supra would do myself as well :)

Cheers,

Michael.