The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Potential purchase

Assad

Hi ladies and gents,

I need some advice if possible, i am looking to purchase my second supra and ive seen this one on eBay which i am inclined to bid on https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1993-Toyota-Supra-RZ-Factory-Twin-Turbo-JZA80-2JZ-GTE/133637786677?hash=item1f1d6ecc35:g:NIYAAOSwqBZgAKEZ 

Looks like a tidy example, what are your guesses this will go for ? i like the fact its had a bare metal repaint ? 

My plans would be to do a manual conversion, anyone know the cost of doing the conversion and which company is best for it ?

Anyone else planning to bid lol ? my budgets around 23k

Thanks

Its the first time I've read a GTE having as a good bit a new ignition coil fitted but aside from that its a high mileage but genuine mileage from its MOT history. Probably been run on a budget for a good many years with all the worn tyres references in the MOT history. The write up doesn't seem well thought out, timing belt has apparently been changed and it was also changed twice in Japan. Well the car was imported in 2006 or earlier so it should have had more than one change in the UK; two or three. Again, suggesting the car has likely been run on a tight budget over the years.

Lots of Supras have been pampered, money no object. Lots have been ragged to within an inch of their lives or flogged finally to death. I get the feeling this probably wasn't one of the pampered ones. Allying that to its relatively high mileage (150k), non stock colour on top of what appears to be stock silver and it being an auto I'd say the £23k is on the high side. I'd be wanting a pampered car for that price. At 150k miles I'd be wanting a properly pampered car, not one missing lots of interior panels and what is that steering wheel.

The other thing to consider is that after almost 30 years chances are with a 'on a budget' car nothing much will have been replaced that didn't absolutely have to be replaced. Lots of things can wear out after 150k miles and near on 30 years on a car. What would you do with failed or failing suspension, roll bars and bushes? Many OE parts are just not around any longer. Many of us have been proactively updating their cars components just because of lowering availability. New paint can be sprayed on at any time, on a near 30 year old car new paint isn't really a core concern. Its rust and component condition first and second. 

If you are looking to do a manual conversion then the BMW M3 box, cylinder, adapter plate, tunnel and pedals are a lot cheaper than the price difference buying an original TT6. About a third of the price. I doubt a manual conversion adds much if any value on a car over leaving it stock, so its mostly lost money. Whereas buying the real original would be an investment.

Edited by rider (see edit history)

OK, personal warning signs - 

Performance car - Check.

Birmingham - Check. 

Resprayed - Check.

Enough to have alarm bells ringing for me. HPI check it, personally look at the car, enlist Performance at Hart and either Bir or Littlenum to look at it for you.

Its a lot of money for a car with a lot of Gotchas.

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice guys. 

Quick update.. 

I have been speaking to the owner today, seems like a nice chap I've arranged a viewing for tommrow 2pm, I wanted to view the car before I place a bid. 

I've already done a HPI check comes up clear minus the private reg and colour change which the owner has stated his informed DVLA 

A freind of mine who imports cars from Japan to Scotland has actually done a VX check for me on the car , it was imported into the country in 2006 as a grade 3.5 - millage coming into the country was 158KM

Colour change doesnt bother me too much tbh as I prefer the grey over the silver. Usually I shy away from cars which havent been painted in the original colour but the contrast on this isnt to bad his informed me all the door shuts were painted, only things that are still silver are the bay and inside.

As long as the car is solid rust wise which the owner has informed me it is and the mechanical side is good I am going to place a bid or try and strike a deal when I am there.

The owner has mentioned he took this in as  a P/X against his R8, the car was originally from York own by a TVR restoration company SD AUTOTEC anyone heard of then? 

Plans ...

Manual conversion - Single turbo.  BIG POWER.

I already own a Auto TT which I use that as a daily, if I get this it will be a project high BHP car. 

Is that really what these cars are going for now? Interior needs some work (wheel, dash panels, whatevers hanging out of the dash,)

You're going to be another £10k in to do a manual swap capable of handling big power, but thats small change compared to the money it will then cost to tune it. 

Frankly, of you want a big power car, you are much better off buying a well built one in the first place.

That is strong money.. I sold my high spec TT auto (active spoiler, ABS, cruise control etc.) With a massive folder of history, all original from bonnet stickers to wheels and interior for £20k in A1 condition last summer. 

If you're going manual and big power I'd just get an n/a car and do a NA-T job. That's what I did and got no regrets, albeit it cost me a lot more than £10k but fully forged VVTi 6spd with over 700hp was worth it to me for my dream car :)

IMG_20190824_111614.jpg

12 hours ago, Swampy442 said:

OK, personal warning signs - 

Performance car - Check.

Birmingham - Check. 

Resprayed - Check.

Enough to have alarm bells ringing for me. HPI check it, personally look at the car, enlist Performance at Hart and either Bir or Littlenum to look at it for you.

Its a lot of money for a car with a lot of Gotchas.

Please listen to this gentleman. At absolute minimum get Simon or James to look at it for you like suggested in bold!

Also, I am a Brummie so I resonate with this 🤣

• Haha 1

The exterior looks good, the interior made me gag, zoom in the interior photos, everything looks terrible, is the auto surround wrapped in fake leather? All panels look asif they have been subjected to a mild fire they way they are bowed.

Trust me, if you want a clean car just spend the extra money and buy a clean one, you will never get that interior right unless u spend an arm and a leg looking for discontinued parts. I personally couldn't sit inside that and drive it looking at all them dash panels. 

And 26k for a 150k miler, non original paint, and that being that rough inside is what is commonly known as a rip off, heck even if it was a tt6 id be put off at 26k.. that being said id offer him 16k tops (yes I see its on 18k atm but ebay is terrible for time wasters)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I kind of wished I had dropped by sooner, this has frankly hurt my head...

The above chap Assad was actually the chap who was selling the car but claiming to want to buy it? Guess that’s what living in Birmingham does for you😆

I brought the car as an impulse buy, knowing I haven’t kept cars standard for long the interior didn’t really bother me (Although when I did get home and take a further look there was even mould growing in it!)

But the car is appearing very rough at the moment, I’ve got around 20k to put into it which should give it a decent chance of another life.

I’m just trying to find out the history on it at the moment but can’t seem to find much

so far the issues I’ve come across are:

Interior is poor - I wouldn’t let my dog live in it! - Already sourced all the boot trim and a new Momo steering wheel

injectors are leaking

intercooler is caked in oil

traction control light is on

rear shocks are nackered

diag port cables have been cut

Heater matrix was blocked - Fixed this

Window regulator cable had snapped - Got a new one from Toyota.

not many issues, I’m just more annoyed he couldn’t be honest about the car. 
I’ve been through arguements with Assad and he said he would have the car back for 15k🤣 Down from the 21k I paid.

You live & Learn!

1 hour ago, Smithy1189 said:

I kind of wished I had dropped by sooner, this has frankly hurt my head...

The above chap Assad was actually the chap who was selling the car but claiming to want to buy it? Guess that’s what living in Birmingham does for you😆

I brought the car as an impulse buy, knowing I haven’t kept cars standard for long the interior didn’t really bother me (Although when I did get home and take a further look there was even mould growing in it!)

But the car is appearing very rough at the moment, I’ve got around 20k to put into it which should give it a decent chance of another life.

I’m just trying to find out the history on it at the moment but can’t seem to find much

so far the issues I’ve come across are:

Interior is poor - I wouldn’t let my dog live in it! - Already sourced all the boot trim and a new Momo steering wheel

injectors are leaking

intercooler is caked in oil

traction control light is on

rear shocks are nackered

diag port cables have been cut

Heater matrix was blocked - Fixed this

Window regulator cable had snapped - Got a new one from Toyota.

not many issues, I’m just more annoyed he couldn’t be honest about the car. 
I’ve been through arguements with Assad and he said he would have the car back for 15k🤣 Down from the 21k I paid.

You live & Learn!

That's indeed a crap situation and a list bigger than you expect to find upon buying a car, at least so soon anyway.

As a long term Supra owner who had similar hidden issues when I bought mine, stay focused and it WILL be worth it in the end mate. You'll also put the value up so don't lose hope!

Welcome to the team.

1 hour ago, Noz said:

That's indeed a crap situation and a list bigger than you expect to find upon buying a car, at least so soon anyway.

As a long term Supra owner who had similar hidden issues when I bought mine, stay focused and it WILL be worth it in the end mate. You'll also put the value up so don't lose hope!

Welcome to the team.

Agreed. And the more time and effort (and sometimes money!) you put into it, the more it will start to feel like your car rather than someone else's abandoned project. Keep us posted!

On 1/20/2021 at 1:08 PM, Assad said:

Hi ladies and gents,

I need some advice if possible, i am looking to purchase my second supra and ive seen this one on eBay which i am inclined to bid on https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1993-Toyota-Supra-RZ-Factory-Twin-Turbo-JZA80-2JZ-GTE/133637786677?hash=item1f1d6ecc35:g:NIYAAOSwqBZgAKEZ 

Looks like a tidy example, what are your guesses this will go for ? i like the fact its had a bare metal repaint ? 

My plans would be to do a manual conversion, anyone know the cost of doing the conversion and which company is best for it ?

Anyone else planning to bid lol ? my budgets around 23k

Thanks

Assad I’m sure we would all like to know why you posed as the buyer, when in actual fact this was a car you were selling? 

This goes against the spirit of the club and is just dishonest, and from all accounts it looks as though the buyer is not happy with their purchase, which was not as described.

I’ll give you a chance to reply so we can hear your side of the story. 

6 hours ago, Smithy1189 said:

You live & Learn!

Why didnt you just pay 30 odd grand for a nice car, saving 10k???

Bad form from that Assad dude, but my original advice still stands lol

Edited by Swampy442 (see edit history)

37 minutes ago, Swampy442 said:

Why didnt you just pay 30 odd grand for a nice car, saving 10k???

Bad form from that Assad dude, but my original advice still stands lol

I know mate, if I knew then what I do now I would have :( 

On the face of it, it did just seem like cosmetic issues but then the more you start looking the more you notice.

You had it spot on in your original post, but I’m not going to be defeated by it - She will have another chance to stretch her legs

5 hours ago, Smithy1189 said:

I know mate, if I knew then what I do now I would have :( 

On the face of it, it did just seem like cosmetic issues but then the more you start looking the more you notice.

You had it spot on in your original post, but I’m not going to be defeated by it - She will have another chance to stretch her legs

Did you bid without viewing?

If he’s a trader you can take him to court!