The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra MKIV, Budget of 25K, Manual or Auto TT

Crossy

Hi guys,

I currently own a Celica GT4 ST205, having progressed from an MR2 MK2 Rev3, and feel it's now time that I can free up some funds for a Supra. My budget I'm initially setting myself is the budget DCY Europe advised I would need for a high standard import, which is 25K, however I have a figure within that I'd be happy spending.

I'm going to be looking for a Manual, turbo set up, I'm pretty open as to whether it's a single or twins. I'm happy whether it is a previous import or UK spec.

EDIT: Genuinely open to whether it is Auto or Manual currently after much consideration, the only thing I'm hoping for is that the car is very well looked after and very clean underneath.

I'm also open to what sort of modifications it's running, and what sort of power range. All I'm really basing my search on currently is a well looked after example from a trusted member, that needs no attention mechanically, to bodywork, and ideally paint, although I can be flexible on anything but bodywork if the seller is genuine about what it needs.

I intend to keep this vehicle for at least 6 years, so I'm not going to be stripping anything for parts, and within the GT4 community I have a good reputation for my vehicle being very clean and having anything it's needed, so if I purchase one of your well looked after examples I intend to thoroughly maintain and potentially build on it, so it will be in good hands as I learn more and more about the vehicle.

Thanks guys, hope you're all well

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My budget is 25K, however I have a figure within that I'd be happy spending.

Your budget statement doesn't make a lot of sense.

I doubt you'd see a top condition UK TT6 for under £25k these days so thats not at all likely to be an option for you. You will also not see many fresh import TT6's for much under £25k these days. So you can probably narrow it down straight away to a top condition recent import or a less than top condition UK TT6. Top conditions singles that were former TT6 again rarely inhabit the sub £25k asking price. So for singles the NA-T World would be your oyster or generally older single from TT conversions.

You may want to seek advice on power options from stock through BPU through to wherever you want to take it. Do you mind running solid mounts to go for the higher HP? Everyone wants that car that has no faults perfect but you'll see from every advert placed on this site that probably doesn't exist in a 20 year old car. The time of ownership is secondary these days to the mileage. I'd say most people park up their Supras these days with only a small minority using the car as their only car or main driver.

It comes down to what do you want after 6 years? Do you really want an old single that will be six years older or a TT6 that will be also 6 years older but that wont matter? Do you want an investment vehicle or something you can rag and rag some more? Supra ownership is split in two, you have the modders who bling and blow and you have the rockers who like the old time finesse of how Toyota put the cars together and strive to keep them that way. Its horses for courses and those two horses aren't in the same race. First choice you should make is which horse do you really want to ride.

Seeing you are in Shropshire as well you are more than welcome to come by and look at mine up on the ramp and I'll show you a lot of the right places to look at on a Supra. You'd need to do that within the next 2 days though as I'm hoping to have it all bolted back together and off ramp by Sunday.

Hi mate,

Thanks for the info; ultimately I'm looking for a nice example manual and turbo model that would need as little work as possible. Now I'm happy with general wear and tear work, I just don't want anything ominous, major, or heavy on the pocket within the first year if it can be helped. I know they're 20 year old cars and it comes with the territory that anything can happen at any moment, but I'm also aware from owning a GT4 that a lot of the genuine examples being sold currently are from long standing genuine enthusiasts that aren't selling simply to shift a problem to someone else's pocket; I guess that is the sort of seller I was hoping for.

Performance wise I'm very open to what's about. I really don't mind if it's low BHP and I can sort the stage 1 modifications to it, or if it's already tuned.

I just want one that I can work on and learn from with the knowledge that it's not going to be a money pit that someone was trying to move on, that I can use as a weekend car to enjoy whilst upgrading to my tastes as I can release more money into it.

I really appreciate that, Would you mind dropping me a message with where you are in Shropshire? I believe I could probably get a lot of valued info from you, and perhaps talk about my budget in comparison to what I can expect to get, if of course you wouldn't mind.

Thanks,

Sam

Really? what 6 speed manual TT has gone for as much to date!?

I know supply has dried up and everyone is holding on to them, but have any actually realised that sort of sale price?

Correct, and Rider, sometimes you're saying people's selling prices on here are far too expensive at less than his budget and the pricing is way out, then now you've told the op he's going to struggle at his budget.

Crossy just bide your time, one will come along within your budget.

Really hoping so, keeping my eyes open and will view a few no doubt to see what's around at different prices.

I've been offered to look at a couple already, 1 within my budget and 1 over my budget, both genuinely interesting cars and builds that have clearly had a lot of time, care and money put into them.

I'm in no rush to buy fortunately as I'm content with my GT4, and was planning on buying from January onwards anyway, I'm happy biding my time to find what I'm looking for.

Thanks for all the info and points of view, you've all been helpful so far.

The winter months are usually when the thoughts of selling up pop into owners minds, so you’re probably best to start looking in January. Spring/Summer is when a fair amount of owner bring their cars back on the road and subsequently “the love” comes flooding back, which in turn pushes the price back up.

If you are willing to travel outside of your local area also, your options will also broaden. Would you be sellers my if PX’ing the GT4?

I'm genuinely willing to travel the length of the country for the right one, I've no problem with that fortunately.

I was going to look into keeping my ST205 GT4, but I'm now leaning towards selling it as I've not the space for 2 cars and a work van currently. Plus it would free up some more money.

Genuinely open to whether it is Auto or Manual currently after much consideration, the only thing I'm hoping for is that the car is very well looked after and clean underneath. Im happy to do bits of work of course as long as I know what it needs :)

I can only advise to hold out for the right example for you and also, don't afraid to travel for the right car.

Also read you on threads to find out what to look for before buying. It will save you a lot in the long run.

Good luck with the search.

I think I would let mine go for £25k.

'97 VVTi 6 speed single turbo (GReddy T88-34D). Resprayed mid 2016, new wheels (CCW LM5T), suspension (BC coilovers), interior (Recaro SR5) all last year as well.

Pics in my thread in the signature below. :thumbs:

Have PM'd a few people on here who have stated there's could be available, and they all understand I'm only looking around prices of what's available at the moment, still open to options if people decide they could part ways :)

I did consider sending him a PM, however I'm not a fan of Silver in general, looking more at Anthracite Greys, Reds, Blacks and Blues, or even something a bit more out there :)

Made for a very interesting read, I'm also very sorry for your family's loss.

Glad to see it went to someone he had actually met, and what should be a good home considering his line of work, both good signs for the upkeep of the car now it's in new hands.

It definitely highlights what is a strange market right now!

Cheers Crossy,it is good news for most of us on this club site that own a good Supra, they are fantastic cars and now they look like they are on the up, i get lots of interest on my car at my local pub etc and it is a fraction of the value that some of the cars that visit the pub have, most are on lease as well. Good luck with your prospective purchase.

I won't part with my rocket ship, it's a 1995, 5 speed manual, with limited slip dif,452 bhp, single turbo, drives like it is a smooth limo and takes off when you want it, owned it from new, cost me £30k. Herbie.

20160224_141942.jpg (200.9 KB) 20151007_161210.jpg (195.2 KB) 20160226_161927.jpg (206.3 KB) 20160114_140835.jpg (196.5 KB)

20151007_161210.jpg

20160226_161927.jpg

20160114_140835.jpg

I won't part with my rocket ship, it's a 1995, 5 speed manual, with limited slip dif,452 bhp, single turbo, drives like it is a smooth limo and takes off when you want it, owned it from new, cost me £30k. Herbie.

You are probably the only one around here with a Supra they bought from new. £30k was a chunk of cash back in 1995, almost £60k in todays money.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.