The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Day 2 of ownership and first problem

muckyman

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just do the right thing get jm to get the car and sort it. Adding a 3rd party just means there's options to say they do this and broke this etc.

Jurgen and jm from previous reviews have been great and great on the forum.

If I was to import id do it through them and take the hours and hours of droving to collect..

Keep us updated hope it gets sorted.

Sounds to me like you have got an ABS sensor not plugged in or one of them is damaged.

Code 11 is Open Circuit in solenoid relay circuit

Code 51 is pump motor locked or open circuit

Code 13 is Open circuit in pump motor relay circuit

Code 34 is Rear left wheel speed sensor signal malfunction

If the ABS/TRAC ecu gets no input from one of the speed sensors located on each of your hubs then it will throw an error and the TRAC system will be disabled, thus the TRAC OFF warning light. Your ABS system may also be hindered by the lack of 1 speed sensor input.

Aircon is now frosty cold. Just needed a regas.

Jurgen sent me a speedo converter in the post but I'll have to get that fitted by a garage as I don't want to mess it up, plus I want paperwork stating the odometer reading when it changed from KM to miles.

Jurgen has promised to call me on his return from holidays regarding the issues, and I'll update here as I get news...

FFS!!!

Next problems with this bloody car!

Just went to go for a drive and got hit with a load of warning lights.

Red master warning light

Low oil level

Overheating cat

Bulb warning

Battery

No bulbs are out. Oil level is fine. No codes stored. Reset didn't change anything.

Awaiting the AA now.

The sooner Jurgen gets back off holiday the better.

Seriously getting pi$$ed off with these problems now.

Hopefully the AA will confirm when they arrive.

Edited for update - AA confirmed the battery isn't charging and all fuses are OK.

Looks like it'll need to go to the garage when it can be fitted in.

It's a bit of a bugger as I'm off on holiday from tomorrow and had planned road trips in my 'new car' next week

Edited by muckyman
Update (see edit history)

Frustrating but try not to fret too much, you are experiencing known issues, a 'new' but 20 year old car needing a new alternator is something we all could face tomorrow, had it on one of my old Supra's.

I'm not saying you haven't been unlucky and that perhaps certain things should have been sorted prior to you receiving it but it shouldn't unduly shake your faith in the car :)

I thought this car had only done 54,000 miles ? Hard to believe it should have any issues if that's to be believed

It's fine, it comes with a piece of paper saying it's true, that's been heavily sprinkled with sodium chloride :D

It's still an old car? you get issues through age as well as mileage don't you, speedo convertor, aircon regassing and an alternator (sorry if I've missed anything) hardly smack of conclusive (barely any imo) evidence of a clocked motor as is being insinuated?

It's still an old car? you get issues through age as well as mileage don't you, speedo convertor, aircon regassing and an alternator (sorry if I've missed anything) hardly smack of conclusive (barely any imo) evidence of a clocked motor as is being insinuated?

I'm DEFINITELY not suggesting that. Can't understand why others would when they haven't even seen the car.

To reiterate - I am not, and have not, suggested that the odo is anything other than genuine.

I do have issues with the car, both mechanically and in the prep provided by Jurgen.

I'll await his return from holiday so he has the opportunity to put these right (not all have been mentioned on here) and will write a fact based review of the car, JM-Imports, and my experience of having a car imported.

ta

Michael

Edited by muckyman (see edit history)

I'm surprised an alternator packs up at this mileage regardless of age, mine was original and done nearly 140,000 miles

with no problems.

Age related stuff for sure like hoses rubber seals etc etc

Fingers crossed you don't get any more problems for a while at least

I'm DEFINITELY not suggesting that. Can't understand why others would when they haven't even seen the car.

To reiterate - I am not, and have not, suggested that the odo is anything other than genuine.

I do have issues with the car, both mechanically and in the prep provided by Jurgen.

I'll await his return from holiday so he has the opportunity to put these right (not all have been mentioned on here) and will write a fact based review of the car, JM-Imports, and my experience of having a car imported.

ta

Michael

I'm not saying your car is clocked, all I am saying is that over the last 12 years I've seen in the flesh countless imports with the magical low mileage, but the overall wear and condition of the car is not conducive with the said low mileage, they are worlds apart. Either a lot of Supra's have an extremely hard life in Japan and wear and tear is accelerated some how, or the mileage is a miss, who knows.

I look forward to your write up, I hear far too many horror stories from club members behind the scenes, as they are too afraid to post up the true story of their bad experiences for fear of being flamed by fanboi's.

It's fine, it comes with a piece of paper saying it's true, that's been heavily sprinkled with sodium chloride :D

Ooh you cynic you! :D

I'll await his return from holiday so he has the opportunity to put these right (not all have been mentioned on here) and will write a fact based review of the car, JM-Imports, and my experience of having a car imported

Why would you not say what all the "issues" are?

My car has never so much as blown a bulb let alone had the alternator fail. The only non serviceable part ever changed in my 19 years with the car has been the ac condenser that was holed about 12 years ago now and the SMIC two years ago only because the fins had turned to powder. I struggle to believe the Jap mileage claims even if supported by a piece of paper unless my import was the only car to ever have been driven on Japanese roads to anything like normal usage with 18k miles in its first 2 years. A 'low mileage' example like this car should only see age related issues, like the fins turning to powder on the SMIC.

A new alternator is not the end of the World but a catalogue of niggles is not normal in Supra World. though if the car runs strong and fine then the little things can be sorted and once sorted it will be a fantastic car. I think people sometimes forget Mk4 Supras are an old car. When I buy a classic car it takes normally a year or two to get to where I want it to be but I have the expectation that no one else will have looked after any car to a standard I strive to achieve. That way the car only ever improves and gets to where you want it to be eventually. Amongst the collection of classics, the oldest car is 52 years old and I have never had any running problems with any of them. Perseverance and the money available to spend on maintenance is key to a content ownership of any old car, which includes the in its dotage Mk4 Supra.

I'm DEFINITELY

ta

Michael

Look forward to reading your factual review and sorry to read you have more issues with the car, lets hope it all gets sorted

out and you can go enjoy what should be a fantastic car

Look forward to reading your factual review and sorry to read you have more issues with the car, lets hope it all gets sorted

out and you can go enjoy what should be a fantastic car

Something everyone can agree on, didn't mean to ruffle any feathers I just didn't want Muckyman to jump to any conclusions. I can only comment on the issues spoken of and again whilst annoying to have as a new owner they don't scream major issues to me.

Something everyone can agree on, didn't mean to ruffle any feathers I just didn't want Muckyman to jump to any conclusions. I can only comment on the issues spoken of and again whilst annoying to have as a new owner they don't scream major issues to me.

No feathers ruffled here :)