The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Day 2 of ownership and first problem

muckyman

I'm surprised an alternator packs up at this mileage regardless of age, mine was original and done nearly 140,000 miles

with no problems.

Age related stuff for sure like hoses rubber seals etc etc

Fingers crossed you don't get any more problems for a while at least

So you don't consider that capacitors in the regulator pack, solder joints in the diode plate etc deteriorate with age?

You sold your last supra a couple of years ago now I think, so the alternator in that was a couple of years younger than the one being spoken of here. Not saying in this case its not, but its not always a mileage issue and an item like an alternator can exhibit no prior warnings of failure. In the past 3 months I have had alternators fail on 3 of my vehicles (call me lucky) Auris @ 114k, Supra at 88k and L200 on 180k and the only one of those that gave some indication there was a pending problem was the truck.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Small initial niggles I am sure but as everyone suggests I would of expected the car being properly checked especially the air con prior to delivery.

The car will have been sat a while so the battery may of gone flat and started with a boost pack I have heard Supras do not like this and can cause the alternator to fail? All I know is my blk uk tt6 had and alternator at 130k but for me an alternator can go at any point.

When buying a fresh import through a dealer what happens if the car is not as described on arrival is the deposit refundable?

I would happily buy an import but would really want to fly to Japan to view it first before handing over any money!

On the mileage topic I was with a customer yesterday who imports cars from Japan and he was showing me the mileage history of a freshly imported new shape Elgrande and it clearly was higher in 2015 than is was is 2016! Its such a grey area if the condition doesn't match the mileage especially more wear than expected I would walk away.

I really do not know how JM are making any money on Supras as they always seem to fetch more in Japan than they do here!

Yes i guess any component can fail at anytime, i guess i was lucky with both my UK cars. i have to admit i dont believe

most the mileages that come on imports, the supra wears mileage well and most people i met didn't believe my second mkiv

had done 100k +

Supporting items failed, mainly rubber parts such as caliper seals, hoses, valve stem seals, suspension bushes, all the coolers failed, diff, heater matrix, rad & smic but engine, box, turbos, ac, alternator, starter motor, ps, were all good

Yep can't deny they can hide mileage well, also though that Japan is similar in size to the UK and so low mileages are possible. Despite the Japanese being renowned as honourable people I'm sure that clocking can and does go on.

We all tend to protect our self interest, high milers will infer that the low milers aren't really low, low milers will insist their car can never have been clocked and is totally genuine. I personally think, especially early on that imports came in generally with genuine mileage, they were pretty low back in the days when the cars weren't that old and hence not much to gain from clocking/not many high mileage cars. The biggest issue for me was the then uk KM to miles back to KM's adjustment that can be made and explained away by the corrupt.

Now prices are rising, the incentive/reward is higher so perhaps it has/will become more prevalent?

Alternator is an easy fix. I have a spare working UK TT one if needed available in the next week.

Mileage is definitely a dubious figure on imports and whilst I appreciate it can happen on Uk spec cars I do think it's far less likely especially when you have fully documentated service history and MOTs etc.

I believe so Michael.

It's working on my vehicle perfectly and I've just upgraded to a 200amp one (albeit by mistake!). I'm planning to fit it on Tuesday.

Best to speak to Jurgen first I guess given he will no doubt rectify but if really stuck let me know Tuesday and I can get this out to you.

Greg

Alternator is an easy fix. I have a spare working UK TT one if needed available in the next week.

Mileage is definitely a dubious figure on imports and whilst I appreciate it can happen on Uk spec cars I do think it's far less likely especially when you have fully documentated service history and MOTs etc.

Bit of a sweeping statement! I agree that uk service history and mot's help with any car, some imports come with jap history. We have to just accept clocking is a possibility across the board and do the best you can to avoid them.

Bit of a sweeping statement! I agree that uk service history and mot's help with any car, some imports come with jap history. We have to just accept clocking is a possibility across the board and do the best you can to avoid them.

I don't deny this in the slightest mate. What I am saying is we typically know what to look for on UK cars in terms of documentation supporting mileage.

Imports may well indeed come with all the paperwork but do people know what Jap docs are used and how genuine they are? I mean if a car is sold with a folder of Jap receipts and service records how do you verify them?

This is a potential problem with falsified docs in UK too but my comment, which was my own opinion, is that this is perhaps less prone to falsification.

Yeah, yet another 'mint' car supplied.

deary me , first of all burna (what is your issue mate all you do is do bad post or assume stir trouble) stop hating and enjoy life mate.

too much hate going on lately in life and around the world internet warriors haters i hope this is not because i took you off my friends list on FB but your attidude negativity in life is not pleasent.

not all customers order MINT car everyone MINT is different too - stop assuming things this car is very good for its age..

the car is grade 3.5 and genuine KM. (Posted auction

michael am sorry you have had issues but you did not have a traction issue here or battery issue car ran fine till the day after these cars are 20/21 years old, your car came in and we turned it around in 6-8 days due to vessel delayed and also you having booked a flight we gave car with just paperwork being issued pretty much day before.

i cant control vessel or customs delays mate, i painted the sideskirts for free, painted the rear bumper for free, painted the rear spats skirts for free (albeit they did not bond well to body) , we fitted your cd player for free and even bought you a CD player loom for free all as goodwill due to delay.

i have said i will pay for the aircon gas as its not as cold as you like - i have said will pay for install of the speedo chip.

you have said the machine polish is not the best standard but this is within time frame we had was not a bad job.

you mention rust under tailgate ie when you open near top towards roof (this does occur in supras i have imported many its due to rain)

if you bring the car back we can sort the minor issues you have.

the issues are minor - they did not occur whilst car was here.

suprawhiteauto96.jpg

Edited by Jurgen-Jm-Imports (see edit history)

deary me , first of all burna (what is your issue mate all you do is do bad post or assume stir trouble) stop hating and enjoy life mate.

too much hate going on lately in life and around the world internet warriors haters i hope this is not because i took you off my friends list on FB but your attidude negativity in life is not pleasent.

"Haters"?!?! What are you, 12 years old? lol

So out of all the comments in this thread you choose to make it personal with me then? I have no problem with you personally, what I do have a problem with is the quality of the cars your company JM-Imports puts out, and the problems I continually here about behind the scenes from club members. But if you want to make it personal with me and have this out on a public forum then let's go :)

So all I do is "do bad post" Jurgen? That just goes to show how much you frequent this forum doesn't it. I like to think I give a lot back to club members, rather than just taking their money for a poor service like you do at JM-imports, but you keep on paying over your trader fee to the club, and I'll keep on spending it and putting it to good and giving something back to the club members :)

I'm very happy with my life Jurgen, and I think my friends will testify that my facebook feed reflects that, shall I refresh your memory to why you felt the need to remove me from FB? After the shoddy 'low mileage' engine you supplied a club member, which from the condition looked like it had done a million miles, you took the hump because I asked you some simple questions that you found difficult to answer, like you not even knowing one end of an engine borescope from the other, and how to inspect an engine properly prior to taking someones money.

It's a refreshing change to see a thread with an honest review of your company JM-Imports, and I look forward to the OP's final review, and I do hope he ends up fully happy with his car, because I hear far too much from people when I'm at club events about how unhappy they have felt after buying a car from yourselves, and the list of problems that should have been ironed out before they took ownership the car. A lot feel that your company JM-Imports just tarts them up and ships them out, and then waits to see if the customer comes back to you with all the problems. That's not the way I agree business should be done personally, and others feel the same.

I do struggle to understand why most of these members that feel unhappy with your service are willing to talk about their bad experiences in person at events, but are unwilling to post on the forum about it publicly, but a friend and fellow club member may have hit the nail on the head last night when chatting on text, I quote "Perhaps because they've been conned I guess. Nobody likes to admit they bought a lemon". I think he's right, it's just a shame that information and experiences aren't there for new members to read, and then only to find out the truth after the fact.

I hope I've given your company JM-Imports enough mentions, as I'm sure it will be helpful for people in future when searching google with your company name JM-Imports and it leads them here to find all the correct information they need :)

Edited by Burna (see edit history)

"Haters"?!?! What you are, 12 years old? lol

So out of all the comments in this thread you choose to make it personal with me then? I have no problem with you personally, what I do have a problem with is the quality of the cars your company JM-Imports puts out, and the problems I continually here about behind the scenes from club members. But if you want to make it personal with me and have this out on a public forum then let's go :)

So all I do is "do bad post" Jurgen? That just goes to show how much you frequent this forum doesn't it. I like to think I give a lot back to club members, rather than just taking their money for a poor service like you do at JM-imports, but you keep on paying over your trader fee to the club, and I'll keep on spending it and putting it to good and giving something back to the club members :)

I'm very happy with my life Jurgen, and I think my friends will testify that my facebook feed reflects that, shall I refresh your memory to why you felt the need to remove me from FB? After the shoddy 'low mileage' engine you supplied a club member, which from the condition looked like it had done a million miles, you took the hump because I asked you some simple questions that you found difficult to answer, like you not even knowing one end of an engine borescope from the other, and how to inspect an engine properly prior to taking someones money.

It's a refreshing change to see a thread with an honest review of your company JM-Imports, and I look forward to the OP's final review, and I do hope he ends up fully happy with his car, because I hear far too much from people when I'm at club events about how unhappy they have felt after buying a car from yourselves, and the list of problems that should have been ironed out before they took ownership the car. A lot feel that your company JM-Imports just tarts them up and ships them out, and then waits to see if the customer comes back to you with all the problems. That's not the way I agree business should be done personally, and others feel the same.

I do struggle to understand why most of these members that feel unhappy with your service are willing to talk about their bad experiences in person at events, but are unwilling to post on the forum about it publicly, but a friend and fellow club member may have hit the nail on the head last night when chatting on text, I quote "Perhaps because they've been conned I guess. Nobody likes to admit they bought a lemon". I think he's right, it's just a shame that information and experiences aren't there for new members to read, and then only to find out the truth after the fact.

I hope I've given your company JM-Imports enough mentions, as I'm sure it will be helpful for people in future when searching google with your company name JM-Imports and it leads them here to find all the correct information they need :)

lol you are helping member the guy has come here asking for TRAC issue help and your barking about Z instead of A how is that helping a member out ? your saying his car is not MINT or not good.

your saying the car is not good as the has TRAC issue and potential alternator down instead of advising customers about their car

you rant about my customer service ?

A you have never bought a car from me or a part from me so your comments are based on what people have told you .

FACT - every customer who has had a car be it from 4k to 45k supra if they have had an issue and took it up with myself i have dealt with in a satisfactory manner ( if you deem different then get that customer to speak to me)..

i have sold many cars in 15 years over 400 supras some better than others, some customers expectations are higher than others some are happy some are nto you cant please all,

for the record some customers dont get MINT car as budget allows , these cars are harder to source now and prices much higher.

so customers 6 years ago that paid 10k for 6 speeds maybe got better cars than some today paying 13-15k for a 6 speed.

this they are aware of and been discussed with customers.

your still unhappy about JamieP engine issue on the engine he bought second hand and then 6/7 months later after fitting he has issue and inspected - i responded offered a genuine reply (you decided it was not ideal or right) BUT am afraid i was in the right..

how can a company who sells used engine at trade price that gets fitted 6/7 months later then has issue after running then saying its no good - i still offered jamie some help even though i did not agree with it.

so why was engine fitted in first place by a reputable garage instead of checking it?

leep is sound bloke but you talk about fanboi did i upset jamie ? you need to take a reality check..

i dealt with that the best way possible - i also had numerous PMS and FB messages members slating your behaviour (Yes mate you) the guy who has never ever dealt with my customer service or bought anything from me but shouts the loudest how bad i am..

I think you need to calm down Jurgen, you're the only one barking and ranting here, it hurt my eyes trying to decipher your post! :/

There's a bloody good reason why I've never bought a car or part from JM-Imports, I heard enough things to worry me about dealing with JM-Imports a long time ago.

Again I ask you, am I the only one in this thread calling into question the quality of the car JM-Imports supplied? Are you questioning them about the points they've raised? No, you seem to want to make this personal with me, which is fine, carry on.

Maybe members with bad experiences will pipe up in this thread, maybe they won't, we will see. Either way I have my opinion on JM-Imports, and I'm sticking to it.

Didn't think the thread I started asking for some advice would end up like this, but that's public forums for you I guess.

All I want are my issues sorted and I was chatting with Jurgen last night on email to try and get that done.

I know what I think is fair and reasonable for both myself and Jurgen and I've emailed that and await his reply.....

As always, I try to keep it factual and hopefully don't get emotional in what I post.

I will update as things progress, but I'm still hopeful I will get a fault free car in the near future.

Cheers

Michael

Edited by muckyman
To remove the double post (see edit history)

Also, just to say, I've worked in retail for 30 years and know the importance of customer feedback. I've also witnessed the emergence of the internet and how beneficial and damaging it can be to a businesses reputation. I'm very aware of the power of google searches and am always ready to accept issues and work to an amicable solution. It's what customer service is all about.

As I mentioned before, I'll do a full review of my experience with having a car imported but only once the 'transaction' is finished in my eyes. Just because it's all paid for doesn't mean it's finished.

I will not get into posting negative comments or 'character assassination'.

I will simply give my opinion of my experience as facts and leave it there.

Thanks for all the advice so far guys, it's a good forum and I hope it remains so for a long time

Michael

I think you need to calm down Jurgen, you're the only one barking and ranting here, it hurt my eyes trying to decipher your post! :/

There's a bloody good reason why I've never bought a car or part from JM-Imports, I heard enough things to worry me about dealing with JM-Imports a long time ago.

Again I ask you, am I the only one in this thread calling into question the quality of the car JM-Imports supplied? Are you questioning them about the points they've raised? .

i have dealt with michaels emails and questions and always responded - if you read the thread you will see issue occured a day later, things fail. (i cant predict whats going to happen).

also quality is measured in different ways and also judged differently you may think you have a quality car some others like myself differ and think you dont

(thats my opinion basing it on facts and stuff i hear and see) just the same way you make your call.

but for one you cant judge my customer service or experience as you have never tried it.

we have supplied some of the best cars on this forum.

also quality is measured in different ways and also judged differently you may think you have a quality car some others like myself differ and think you dont

(thats my opinion basing it on facts and stuff i hear and see) just the same way you make your call..

Hahaha so now you comment on my car, when I bet you wouldn't know my car even if I parked outside JM-Imports front door. Ok then, please give me a run down on my car and everything you know about it, yes I'm calling you on this, and let everyone see the bullshit you are made off, so please, enlighten us all on the current condition and everything you actually know about my car. Because Jurgen, I will gladly put the condition of my car up against any car that you import, tart up, and then ship out the door for a quick buck.

To anyone thinking of dealing with JM-Imports, I think the childish statement I quoted from him above about sums up who you will be dealing with and who represents JM-Imports, completely unprofessional and immature when it comes to criticism.

Edited by Burna (see edit history)

Hahaha so now you comment on my car, when I bet you wouldn't know my car even if I parked outside JM-Imports front door. Ok then, please give me a run down on my car and everything you know about it, yes I'm calling you on this, and let everyone see the bull$#@! you are made off, so please, enlighten us all on the current condition and everything you actually know about my car. Because Jurgen, I will gladly put the condition of my car up against any car that you import, tart up, and then ship out the door for a quick buck.

To anyone thinking of dealing with JM-Imports, I think the childish statement I quoted from him above about sums up who you will be dealing with and who represents JM-Imports, completely unprofessional and immature when it comes to criticism.

its a UK car its been in UK for long time - i have seen it before at a show in my opinion there is other better out there than yours a lot more..

Once again your giving advice to people not to buy from me from no experience from yourself.

Do you think we cant bring a car tart up and make a buck ? thats how business works or is that not hows its done ?

This is really a shame as you are probably right when you say you've imported some of the best cars on this forum if not around the world, but they also are some strange stories on here...

As for example, my only experience with your services was the "personal import" of a SZ-R 6 speeds a few years ago now.

I was 150% trusting in you (even paid it before having found it hahaha), but if I hadn't receive the warnings from a good member on here and searched a lot on internet, you had sold me a (well) clocked car with many hidden repairs, ...

IMPOSSIBLE to have pictures of the dashboard / odometer, but plenty of others...

I don't know if you can remember this strange story... I still have all the proofs if necessary haha...

And i don't tell about the fact I asked you to put a brand new exhaust which was after all leaking quite a lot once I turned the car on at the port in Amsterdam, there are better services in this case ;)

Like for everyone, we all have to be careful, a good reputation is really hard to earn, but really easy to loose.

This is really a shame as you are probably right when you say you've imported some of the best cars on this forum if not around the world, but they also are some strange stories on here...

As for example, my only experience with your services was the "personal import" of a SZ-R 6 speeds a few years ago now.

I was 150% trusting in you (even paid it before having found it hahaha), but if I hadn't receive the warnings from a good member on here and searched a lot on internet, you had sold me a (well) clocked car with many hidden repairs, ...

IMPOSSIBLE to have pictures of the dashboard / odometer, but plenty of others...

I don't know if you can remember this strange story... I still have all the proofs if necessary haha...

And i don't tell about the fact I asked you to put a brand new exhaust which was after all leaking quite a lot once I turned the car on at the port in Amsterdam, there are better services in this case ;)

Like for everyone, we all have to be careful, a good reputation is really hard to earn, but really easy to loose.

we offered another car in japan and it was found to be clocked - you did not buy it - you had protection buying through us,.(even though you initially found the car on another site with more miles) and another dealer in japan was selling it with less miles - you were covered by me 100%..

then you found the following car and we purchased for you.

wayne this is the car right http://jm-imports.co.uk/index.php/1997szr/

you selected this car from goo-net or carsensor .

we had it checked out in japan for you and bought it at your request ie picked by you.

you had an exhaust leak - i cant recall issue but it was minor and now you import cars yourself.

Edited by Jurgen-Jm-Imports (see edit history)

its a UK car its been in UK for long time - i have seen it before at a show in my opinion there is other better out there than yours a lot more..

Funnily enough, being as it's a UK car, it's been in the UK all it's life! And wow, vague much Jurgen? So when was this show? Because it's been many years that I've been to a show that you've attended. So no comment on the recent work I've had done on the car? Look, just be a grown up about it, and don't lower yourself anymore to a level of cheap shots at my car that you don't even have a clue which car it is. But if you want to carry on then please, damage your reputation more.

FFS the guy has an alternator issue and trac light on and burna deemed the car not mint.

Burna you need to look deep down at why your so personally offended.

I'm not personally offended at all, I'm just hoping that me actually taking on your immature personal comments will actually give others courage to come forward publicly with the stories they have and that they tell privately to other members. You can keep going directly at me all you wan't, I have very thick skin, so we can go at this all day, week, as long as you want to continue it :)

Yes I'm speaking about the first one, the one I finally didn't buy after having found all what I say above.

(I already had put a presentation on here of this car, with luck !)

The last one is still running in Belgium with no issues.

The exhaust leak was on this one.