The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Choosing the right car

Supra_cooper

Its easily useable if you have the a well maintained car, good suspension, diff and tyres.

I wonder how many drivers can actually easily drive a 700 hp Supra ! I don't just mean in a straight line up a drag strip either :)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how many drivers can actually easily drive a 700 hp Supra ! I don't just mean in a straight line up a drag strip either :)

With the right suspension, diff, tyres and brakes it isn't very hard. If you lack one of those things then it becomes a different story. I didn't have the best tyres on mine and it was a challenge to say the least. You really need r888.

As for 1000bhp being laggy the turbos now are spooling under 4K rpm that isn't laggy at all. Pretty much boost whenever you want it. Also the cams arnt rough at all with a decent map and a carbon clutch is not heavy at all.

Edited by Parry_10 (see edit history)

Hi, have you ever driven a supra at 600bhp??? they are insane.... 1000bhp as a road car would be almost un useable and as for damp roads would be a no go....

I agree start with a twin turbo mate and take it to 400 and see where the world takes you from there??

Guest Budz86

As others have said, 1000 is a big number to reach and done properly will not only take money, and lots of it (the 60k estimate is a good place to start!) but you need to find someone competent to build it for you, and that will take time! There's only one or 2 guys in the whole country that I'd personally trust.

Aside from building it, as has been said, realising it's full potential in the UK is not easy and on some roads, just dangerous! Motorways are no problem, but some of the A and B roads are such poor quality they'll try and spit you off if you go near full power! As I've needed to explain to some of my mates about the roads round here, it's fine when they hit a bump at 70-80, even 100, but when you hit the same bump at 120-140+ and still pulling like a train, it makes sure you're paying attention that's for sure!

Yeah mate I agree, its stupid money to achieve....

I got a uk 6 speed twin turbo completely stock and mostly Toyota service history from new 27 stamps in book... I keep thinking about parting with it for something else but just no I wont find another one...

wats the best way to sell them??

Does not matter even if a 1000hp does spool at 4k as you have less than a na power before that ,then all that power in one go supra's downfall is traction always will be, been out in jp's black beast and it was still struggling for grip over 120mph you only have to look at lux's roll on races cars like the amg , v8's even a stock gtr leave it standing on a rolling start luc is then always playing catch up right to the finish line.

1000hp vs a bone stock 550hp 991 turbo supra does a burn out before and all, on the street were its not always rolling starts and corners are involved and no pre burn out that Porsche will leave it standing

Well you've said money is no object so just do it. :)

I don't personally care what people think when I want to so something how ever that being said I take the wisdom and critasium and options given by others that I trust in and go from there.

Your goals are just that your goals. I'd love a 1000bhp supra but I'm only interested in being pinned to my seat when I go wot in a straight line demolishing a lambo but having never driven a car with that power or have the cash flow to build that I will work up to it.

Something to consider though is the running costs and maintained of a 1000bhp car.

I would be going for a t56 gear box over the stock 6speed as parts are cheaper and it's a new box and isn't discontinued.

But going for a 600-700 power figure to start and see how it goes would be my suggestion then turn it up by adding the other parts needed.

All the best and hope you find a decent car to start the project.

Edited by Hitbox Junkie (see edit history)

Thanks for all the advice I really did have my heart set on a 1000bhp but now listening to people I'm thinking more like 700 for drivability but how easy is it to go from 700 - 1000

O and what type of torque should I be looking at with 700 bhp

For 1000 your going to probably want a built engine not stock internals. Head work with cams. Bigger injector's bigger fuel lines, fuel pumps, fuel rail. Bigger turbo, more tuning you may want better diffs uprated gearbox, stronger prop. But most of it could be done when going to 700horse just so your future profing.

Torque wise between 600-700 depending on the map.and conditions.

Listen to Jurgen. I agree with him, the sweet spot for a MKIV manual is a genuine (and I personally believe a lot of this 1000BHP talk is bull..), is 500 to 600 flywheel HP. After that power delivery suffers and the pleasure of driving on normal roads diminishes exponentially. If you succeed in building a 900 to 1000 BHP engine have you any idea just how little time it will be before it needs a rebuild? We are talking hours. The engine is so over stressed it's a grenade.

If you want a MKIV that will handle well on bumpy roads or on a track day, forget the aero top. They are as floppy as a wet paper bag.

We tend to have at least 1 person sign up per week or 2, with the 1000bhp £100k build idea

Think we have Youtube to blame for that, people feel they have to have it

Personally 6-700bhp is where its at in my opinion

Didnt JamieP black supra run a high 10 second 1/4 mile just under 700bhp?

Yet you watch the claimed big bhp cars running high 11s and even 12s, and thats on a prepared sticky track

Just getting a TT6 Aerotop will cost quite a lot, I think I was down about £20k just to get that before I even went BPU or did any mods to the car, currently have costs at about £50k and it's still not finished and I don't even want 1000hp, will be happy being in the 650-750hp bracket.

So yeah, you'll be looking at an easy £70k, probably more.

I hate to be a snob, but your spelling/grammar suggests to me that you are not the sort of person ready for that kind of expenditure.

If you are building the car so you can show off at static car shows and down the pub then yeah go 1000hp. If you actually want a satisfying road experience on UK roads then get a responsive turbo that will get you there quickly, rather than blowing the tyres off for the first 4 gears.

Response > Total Power

600 to.700 hp is more than enough for mere mortals on UK roads otherwise anything more is just a waste as you will be playing hop skip and jump looking for traction.

As Chris Wilson will tell you a well sorted chassis suspension and braking running 600 ish will be an enjoyable drive so start with that as your aim and if you need to scratch an itch later down the line you will at least know what to expect.

Its not too hard.. (yes mine is only 600bhp but its much lighter than a normal supra) Power to weight on mine is around 478bhp per tonne (based on weight when I bought it - should be lighter now) whereas a full weight 700bhp supra (1490kg) is 470bhp per tonne.

Its lively but if its set up right then fairly easy to control :D

Its not too hard.. (yes mine is only 600bhp but its much lighter than a normal supra) Power to weight on mine is around 478bhp per tonne (based on weight when I bought it - should be lighter now) whereas a full weight 700bhp supra (1490kg) is 470bhp per tonne.

You can only drive yours on the track however? Controlling 700hp on a crappy b-road with traffic compared to a prepped track is probably a little harder, or at least requires more concentration/discipline

I hate to be a snob, but your spelling/grammar suggests to me that you are not the sort of person ready for that kind of expenditure.

Don't hold back Marc :D

I think others have pretty much hit the head on the nail, unless money is no object then find an aero top and start with that... the other option is you contact an owner who has an aerotop and wave some cash in front of them.

I know Ibrar was thinking of selling his red beast, which is one of the best in the world and he wasn't even asking much for it!!

You own one of the best track setup Supra's in the world, the attention to detail is just incredible! You have seriously upped the game in that department... around a track I would think a 800bhp Supra would struggle against you!

You own one of the best track setup Supra's in the world, the attention to detail is just incredible! You have seriously upped the game in that department... around a track I would think a 800bhp Supra would struggle against you!

Hopefully Bignum will take up that challenge, that would be an awesome thing to watch :cool: