The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Advice on Turbos

JasonR24

No wont be being built until august , now need to look into supporting mods fuelling ,ignition intercooler etc , be a mod for over the winter im thinking.

I had mine rebuilt by CR turbos, and touch would they have done over 5K with no issues, recently I am running 1.3BAR through them.

If I know what I know now, I would of gone single turbo, yes It would of taken me a bit longer to get the car on the road, but VSV issues have been a pain to diagnose and sort out. That alone is good enough reason.

Maybe have a word with Tim at TB development, he might be able to help you with a small single kit.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FIRST check your front turbo, off it's "manifold" to see if the wastegate seat area of the turbine housing casting is cracked. if it is i wouldn't consider it for a core for rebuilding. Finding an un-cracked one is hard nowadays. A steel turbine wheel will never spool as well as the ceramic J-Spec. UK spec turbos have smoking issues, in general, long before Jap spec OE ones, and a I put it down to better balance and lighter bearing loads from the ceramic ones.

A single turbo build is invariably double the cost that most people come up with on the back of their fag packet, often triple. It's the small stuff like hoses, bespoke I/C pipework, the ludicrously dear aeromotive type hose ends, and the refurb the engine itself should have before being asked to work harder than it has ever done in its long life that mount up.

I would double check with two or more Toyota main agents re current availability of new turbos, I heard they were unavailable 3 years back, only to find they were still around last year.

Edited by Chris Wilson
De-Irishing (see edit history)

Ok guys just for your info (thanks for the advice mr Wilson) I got a price from Toyota it's £1780 for the first turbo and £1980 for the second turbo. The second turbo is discontinued so I'd have to ring up god knows how many dealers to find that. And the first they can order in. He said if you could find somewhere with both with the gasket kit it would be £4300 total....

So I've written that off as an option lol.

That was after trying two Toyota dealers.

I haven't had a price back for the rebuild yet but the good news is the engine is in top condition. All seals on the exhaust side are like new he said so that's a bonus.

Again thanks to Chris, that's the reason I won't be going single. I know to do it right and to take everything into account is well over 15k whereas hybrids or second hand will be a lot less.

I'm not completely advocating it but there is some interesting info in the thread below the last post summing things up nicely.

So a larger turbo that doesn't spool up too early combined with a capped boost level so it limits the power to bpu levels, could do a job.....it's a botch and it'll still be pretty costly

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?321123-Size-of-stock-twins-vs-a-single-turbo/page4&highlight=stock+single+turbo

Plus 200 tax at about £1330 that's still damn good value for the bits you're getting. It's just the wait time that would suck!

/QUOTE]

What you want is to get a spare pair of knackered turbos and exchange them. Then the wait time makes no difference as you still have a car to use.

Plus 200 tax at about £1330 that's still damn good value for the bits you're getting. It's just the wait time that would suck!

/QUOTE]

Not necessarily! I bought my D2 8 pots front brakes from Oz and dhl expedited only took 3 days! Cost about 100 quid but well worth it.

I was again thinking about a small single, FSR Street Fighter Turbo kit or PHR Street Torque kit with something like a PT 6062 GEN2, turbo, but a Munro stage 4 is tempting. Especially as I keep worrying about how the low and mid range on a single would compare to BPU.

August wait time is a bit much though. Maybe that will be my future plans instead of going single. I would much prefer having a fast spooling hybrid set up capable of 5-600bhp as they are claiming, than a single turbo but it all depends on reliability and a few other factors. Reliability is key really.

Also got to keep in mind that these Munro turbos at stage 4 aren't exactly common over here. I don't know of any person running them to ask about reliability.

Can you get around tax as having them down as warranty/Repair?

My Friend works in Toyota Ireland, for shits and giggles a new LFA Engine is 47K Euro if anybody is feeling flush

Edited by Jellybean (see edit history)

Can you get around tax as having them down as warranty/Repair?

My Friend works in Toyota Ireland, for shits and giggles a new LFA Engine is 47K Euro if anybody is feeling flush

A supra with an LFA engine. Sounds good.

If I win the lottery I'll do it lol

I was in this dilemma and by reading all sorts of different threads and opinions I've just purchased some low mileage 67k KM ceramic turbos for when the inevitable happens on mine.

I know this might seem silly as they are used but the reliability of rebuilt turbos always has seemed abit hit and miss. Most people go single when this happens but it depends on what you are after.

Edited by Rob W (see edit history)

I was in this dilemma and by reading all sorts of different threads and opinions I've just purchased some low mileage 67k ceramic turbos for when the inevitable happens on mine.

I know this might seem silly as they are used but the reliability of rebuilt turbos always has seemed abit hit and miss. Most people go single when this happens but it depends on what you are after.

Means you can push yours a little now then :D

I was in this dilemma and by reading all sorts of different threads and opinions I've just purchased some low mileage 67k ceramic turbos for when the inevitable happens on mine.

I did the same with James (TheTurtleshead) turbo's. A rare chance for a known (or as known as you can get) low mileage history and the complete turbo side, Cat to vac pipes and VSV's included, not cheap then but I think it was a good buy. Wish I'd bought a £1500 engine with loom an ancillaries a few years further back too, decent used bits are going the same way as the cars it seems...

I had brand new Envy Stage 3 Turbos fitted and they went bang in less than 8k miles at 1.2 bar :(

My advice would be go for a small single, you can pick up loads of second hand parts for a fair price. Just try and pool more cash together, I know it's easier said than done but you'll be grateful in the end.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi everyone, you may have seen my thread saying my first turbo had bitten the dust. I'm now looking at what to do. I'm worried because I've seen posts saying that having mine rebuilt will never be the same and they will end up going again.

The other alternative is getting a second hand set but there's no guarantee that these will last or that they won't blow up as soon as I hit boost. Especially as they will be jspec turbos as I've seen another thread saying the stud patterns are different from uk spec turbos?

Any advice other than going single (due to the huge cost) would be appreciated. I can't really afford to spend too much as I've already spent a lot recently.

So what was your final decision? I'm getting very tempted by the idea of the Munro Stage 4's.

I had brand new Envy Stage 3 Turbos fitted and they went bang in less than 8k miles at 1.2 bar :(

My advice would be go for a small single, you can pick up loads of second hand parts for a fair price. Just try and pool more cash together, I know it's easier said than done but you'll be grateful in the end.

FWIW my hybrids from turbotechnic shave been on the car for over 5 years now and still pull hard! With the supporting mods it makes the same power as a small single and feels the same due to running ttc

Well I wanted to get my car on the road asap. I've decided if I was to go for the Munro turbos then I'd have to wait until August which is too long for me, another member has ordered them I believe so I'll see from their feedback if it's worth it. At the moment the turbos are with turbo dynamics being rebuilt. I think in the future I'll end up single turbo but I'll wait and see how these hold up first. I'll let everyone know how I get on with them :)