The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Advice on Turbos

JasonR24

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The other alternative is getting a second hand set but there's no guarantee that these will last or that they won't blow up as soon as I hit boost. Especially as they will be jspec turbos as I've seen another thread saying the stud patterns are different from uk spec turbos?

My ceramics are running well with 110,000 miles of spinning away happily. It probably just comes down to how often the oil has been changed as my car has been tweaked to 335bhp at the drive wheels so they are probably a tad over boosted. These turbos seem to go on and on if treated to good oil, having said that I'm thinking of going hybrid when they do fail.

Looks like my supra has had 2 sets of hybrids over its 16 years in the country! A set of turbo dynamics running 2bar at one point :blink: and then the turbotechnics running 1.6bar, i am currently now on the hunt through hundreds of threads and reciepts to find out when/why the chance happened

Looks like my supra has had 2 sets of hybrids over its 16 years in the country! A set of turbo dynamics running 2bar at one point :blink: and then the turbotechnics running 1.6bar, i am currently now on the hunt through hundreds of threads and reciepts to find out when/why the chance happened

Wow!

Cheers for that mate! 2 bar?!? I don't plan on running those turbos anywhere near that, that seems crazy to me. It'll be 1.2 bar ;)

Wow!

Cheers for that mate! 2 bar?!? I don't plan on running those turbos anywhere near that, that seems crazy to me. It'll be 1.2 bar ;)

/QUOTE]

Haha I know! But there was a lot of other factors to that aswell going by a quick spec list. I run mine at 1.2bar around town, 1.5bar for dual carriageway/motorway fun and then 1.6bar on a Sunday of it's nice lol, can guarantee a good few super cars going about then!

Haha I know! But there was a lot of other factors to that aswell going by a quick spec list. I run mine at 1.2bar around town, 1.5bar for dual carriageway/motorway fun and then 1.6bar on a Sunday of it's nice lol, can guarantee a good few super cars going about then!

I would love to have a read of some of those threads once you're done! Especially the bit about turbo dynamics and the 2.0 bar turbos lol

If anyone wants to test out the hybrid set up at wroxhall, then I'm more than happy to let people have a feel of the potential

Im in Alex

Me too please. Tho I may have puched the button to order the Munro's by then if I decide to go down the road. Tho a single looks better.

I think my main concern is what is the power like below 3500 on a single like a PT 6062 compared to Hybrids. If there was pretty much no difference I'd go single, but if there was noticeable lag and power deficit compared to Hybrids then I'd probably go for the Stage 4 Munros

Edited by Big Mark (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Just an update. Got the car back after having the hybrids fitted and there's still a problem where the first turbo doesn't seem to do sod all. It's like a single turbo where's there's nothing until the second turbo kicks in and then all hell breaks loose.

Here's the boost graph: image

It doesn't appear to go up but honestly it drops off and holds back like there's no power until the second turbo kicks in. Really destroys the drivability. I pray the first turbo hasn't let go again already :(

Here's some of the insides from my old turbo: image

The other turbines were shot and binned apparently.

I'd be interested to see if anyone has had the same problem maybe VSVs or something?

Apart from the first turbo issue the power is unreal. It's stupidly quick at 1.3 bar which is the highest setting I'll be going on hi boost setting!

Had the work done. Going to take the car back tomorrow. The garage is good and always willing to sort out any issues, I'm just curious as to whether anyone else had experienced this. I'm thinking its a hose or valve from the sequential system