The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Advice on Turbos

JasonR24

Guest gmhigh flow
Do you struggle to find turbine housings with no cracks in he wastegate seat? I know I do. Or do you use new Toyota sourced turbos to work with, assuming they are still available?

None new available and some have a little crack but i have found there is zero effect on the performance. The crack is usually so small it doesn't effect spool. Especially when in sequential. It is more important that the seat is flat. Which is rare so I machine the seat always.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest gmhigh flow
Do you struggle to find turbine housings with no cracks in he wastegate seat? I know I do. Or do you use new Toyota sourced turbos to work with, assuming they are still available?

The crack would need to be 1mm wide to have any effect.

I would double check with two or more Toyota main agents re current availability of new turbos, I heard they were unavailable 3 years back, only to find they were still around last year.

The 2nd turbo was still available from Toyota when I looked 6 months back...at £2k.

Hi Glenn, welcome to the forum :)

Can you explain a little bit more about your process of making hybrids and the various stages available. In the UK we don't really see reliable hybrid turbos, certainly nothing that is pushing the sort of power yours are.

I think there are a few of us on here that would be interested in going this route rather than single.

The hybrid turbos that used to be on my car were reliable and had been on for over 5 years pulling hard and making great numbers ;) The ones before them were also a reliable turbo and made decent power going by older threads :)

If i didn't have the big twins sitting i would of been ordering the stage 4 munro's tbh, i love the way the hybrid feels and how it just looks stock so upsets alot of the bigger cars ;)

But you run them in TTC , so that makes no sence what so ever , a medium size single ie 600 ish, would out perform stock twins in TTC in every way.

In sequential they dont stand a chance from a stop in a auto but in a manual changes the game

I've been told by a single owner that my old hybrid set up would put perform him, we never had a chance to test that theory though

Kiss

Keep it simple single :)

Single seems the simplest configuration judging on the problems you've had Jason.

Yea at the moment that is the best option for more power. I don't plan on going single but was curious as to any alternatives, not that right now I could afford that either :D

But you run them in TTC , so that makes no sence what so ever , a medium size single ie 600 ish, would out perform stock twins in TTC in every way.

In sequential they dont stand a chance from a stop in a auto but in a manual changes the game

I absolutely hated ttc mode when mine was in it. Ruined the feel of the car and eliminated all low end power

Sequential bpu was the best street set up I had on my supra . I had sequential hybrids too which were ok but did notice a little lag as I had stage 3 . Single is great fun and once rolling is unstoppable. But as I have a auto lag is a issue just can't raise the revs as you can a manual.

Hi stalls are good but rob a fair wack of power . As the are fluid couplers to raise the stall you make the less efficient and as a result of that you generate more heat .

I've had sequential stock, BPU, TTC and 2 single setups. A well specd, modern single turbo is in an different league to anything stock twins can do. My current one does 550hp ish at 1.6 bar, and is on full boost much faster than stock based twins. The issue really is cost and value for money.

I have been building them for about 6 years in Australia.

I do rebuild (stage1) stage 3 which is bigger comp and wastegate work to stop boost creep and the stage 4 which is all the major restrictive components high flowed or replaced. I have done dozens of stage 4 with no failures but varying power levels. Depends on the owners budget and setup.

There soon will be a stage 5 that is bigger again that deals with every restrictive part in the whole twin ct20 assembly. But still in development. The stage 4 is a very big labour intensive job and there is now a very long line up for them.

The original goal, when I developed them, was for a rwl 500rwhp in sequential, bolt on using the oem turbo and parts so it looks stock and performs with very little lag.

The power goal has been surpassed many times now.

Best to contact through the facebook page or the website.

Hope this helps guys out.

I am building a couple of stage 4's for two guys from the UK currently.

So what does the stage 5 setup look like? Will it be a direct upgrade from the stage 4 setup?

Guest gmhigh flow
So what does the stage 5 setup look like? Will it be a direct upgrade from the stage 4 setup?

/QUOTE]

The Stage 4 still doesn't take care of ALL the restrictions in the system like comp housings, dumps, turbine wheels, comp outlets, and egcv. So the stage 5 does and that is the limit using the OEM parts.

From what I remember Stage 5 is akin to going single or big twins in parallel.

Stage 4 is more along the lines of our usual hybrids but supposedly with more power and better reliability. It would be nice to see some UK'ers on these so we can see the true of power figures they produce and what reliability is like.

It's nice to see someone going the extra mile to keep the car in sequential as Toyota intended whilst making decent power.

• 5 weeks later...