Hemanhead

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Stunning , keep the pics coming!

Thanks mate, more pics on their way then. So here it is, the engine is finally in and the car will start taking shape quickly up until everything like wiring needs to be done.

With this install the aircon is going back in, I think the 6870 will create enough power to overcome the additional weight ;)

Everything is blacked out, even the new oil coolers.

Thermo sleeving added and new exhaust manifold studs put in.

5" ETS intercooler blacked out, really love this. It will make it a little harder for people to see if its a turbo or not.

Lastly the site foreman checked, mumbled something unintelligable, smiled and gave the job his seal of approval. Onwards and upwards then!

Hope you enjoy the updates, will be more pics coming of the turbo and exhaust manifold soon which will really show what the complete engine bay will look like.

Best update so far :) Looks awesome.

Glad you can enjoy it, theres definitely better to come ;)

looking good, bet you cant wait or the turbo side to go on as it will start looking more complete then :)

Yeah it's going to look pretty damn good. Although it's becoming apparent the 6870 has a somewhat cult following at SRD towers now, there must be 5/6 out cars out there with more in the pipeline, so i know already what it will look like :)

Looking beautiful mate :) love the touch of the black intercooler, something different that you dont see often (infact I dont think iv ever seen one in black) nice choice :)

Thanks mate, I don't know if I have seen it before, I had this done a while ago now but i'm sure someone else had theirs anodised.

In my mind i've designed the engine bay to be as monochrome as possible with mostly black, anything thats polished is simply to draw higher attention to key components ( Turbo, cams and inlet ) while parts painted in black 202 will match the original paintwork and appear blended into the body. Lee and the team have done a great job realising my ideas thats for sure and its nice to see something you imagined coming together as well as you'd hoped. Almost all items below the head will be black as you will see and while it gives a sort of show car finish it should actually be quite easy to maintain as anything that requires polishing is within simple grasp. ( hopefully hah! )

Here it is then, the turbo and manifold, gleaming and polished. Love how it all looks, absolute work of art this manifold, the kind of thing i'd hang on a wall not put in a car !

6870 turbo, I actually think its quite small given it's capabilities, but it does fit nicely between the engine and strut tower anyway.

Giant 60mm Turbo smart wastegate with a 2.5" screamer pipe !

This thing really has a comical size to it :D

All the thermo sleeving added on the oil return lines, and thats it for now.

Edited by Hemanhead (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Now with the engine in the build has progressed visually really nicely. Firstly the turbo to intercooler pipe is fabricated and recieves the matt black treatment. Whilst there, I asked Lee to mock up some custom engine bay boxes. I think all the guys at SRD have done a great job on the build so far, I always love coming to my phone to recieve pics like this, guaranteed smiles.

The intercooler to inlet throttle body has been fabricated and received the same treatment, black ofcourse but the upper half has a mirror polished finish. Firstly heres a close up of the HKS BOV installation.

Installation of the PHR billet power steering reservoir, a close fit, but what a great looking piece of kit.

And this is probably my favourite pic of the build so far, with the pipework coming through in mirror finish. :notworthy

Those of you who can see past the shiney stuff will have noticed alot of wiring to do next so thats it for now. Hopefully I will be out enjoying the sun and the car with everyone else soon. :)

probably the nicest engine bay I've seen! good job on the build!

Thats a bold statement, but one I will happily take :D

Incredible :cool:

Thanks Jim :)

That looks great!

Where is the catch can hidden?

No catch can on the SRD big builds

Yeah as Luc says, no catch can on the builds, the lines run off of the engine and vent out of the rear of the car at the drivers side.

In what respect mate? The smell or incase there is an engine oil fire? Either way it ends up on the road or the smell vents infront of or behind me.

Catch cans do catch vapours etc, they condense into a murky brown liquid , OE system extracts via the intake and burns off in the combustion process , I plump mine into the Turbo intake , helps with ring seal , burns off excess

Not something I would like to come across on the road, especially on 2 wheels, maybe you wont be emitting enough to cause issue , I just would not like to be responsible for somebody having an accident

Catch cans do catch vapours etc, they condense into a murky brown liquid , OE system extracts via the intake and burns off in the combustion process , I plump mine into the Turbo intake , helps with ring seal , burns off excess

Not something I would like to come across on the road, especially on 2 wheels, maybe you wont be emitting enough to cause issue , I just would not like to be responsible for somebody having an accident

I'm surely the amounts dispelled are microscopic mate, not exactly going to be leaving a pool on the road. I've not noticed any residue on mine when running for long periods of time in garage etc. Think you might be over thinking it bud.

Hi mate, yes as you said they catch vapour and condense it. Its not much and unless I hadn't told you, you wouldn't know any different if behind me.

I do prefer it that way as id rather not have murky vapours recirculating if possible, I doubt oem manufacturers would either, but they are tied to regulations.

Yeah it looks a little like that but I think the chamber may be a touch smaller than the Greddy, it's just a very compact design :)

Thanks mate, more updates on yours this summer too i hope.

Wont be much happening to mine to be honest, just tiding up a few things really due to (fingers crossed) buying our house in a few months. Then in a year or two go single, wont be as epic as yours though lol