Hemanhead

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Update time. I have bought some Whifbitz anti roll bars but have managed to fit only the rears for the moment. I will probably do the fronts when i change the engine oil next month as part of DB prep. Here are a few pics though, quite alot chunkier than standard and powdercoated for protection. I am sure they will prove a worthy upgrade over my ageing OEM bars. The reason for purchasing these over other brands such as whiteline,trd,cusco etc was the thickness and claimed stiffness percentage. I have put these on the medium setting and i imagine that is exactly where they will stay.

With a few items getting harder to source I have decided to thoroughly clean and restore some of the parts I have, and this started by competing the tool kit (i think?). I have left the P/N there for anyone that want to get themselves a spark plug removal tool.

This is all the start of my interior refurbishment to get the car looking as good on the inside as it does from the outside. I think it's more important as fundamentally, it's where i spend most of my time!

More updates to come, hope you enjoy them :thumbs:

Nice Zach.

May I take place in those Recaros pls .... just to see how my large back goes in. ;)

I think you will find they fit you, but definitely snug Luc :D

Awesome build! Great read looking forward to seeing it in the flesh.

:thumbs:

Thanks mate, it's starting to come together now, lot's more orders made which means eventually, lot's more to update when i get the chance !

I really like what you're doing to this car, and the attention to detail :thumbs:

Thanks pal, it's getting there !

While the interior is out for a good clean and restoration, now is the perfect time to start applying some soundproofing. Product of choice is Dynamat superlite as i have to keep with a weight saving theme somehow ;). This will take away some motorway drone and hopefully a fair bit of tyre noise because they are so wide; anyway here is some blurb:

" 30% Lighter / 30% Thinner

Dynamat SuperLite is a black butyl based core with 2 mil aluminum constrain layer, and craft paper release liner. Dynamat is a patented, lightweight elastomeric butyl and aluminum constrained-layer vibration damper. Dynamat conforms and fuses easily to sheet metal and other hard substrates. "

Translation: Weight saving is achieved because Half as much material used, Butyl and other dense nasties covered in aluminium foil which makes you're car look like a giant sweet wrapper. Now we've got that covered, lets take a look.

Yes I am aware that you don't need to use this much, but i can, so I have. Second and thirdly it is alot lighter than the thick stuff so it is easier to lay and yes it does have a substantially noticeable effect. I just have the front section of the car to do now consisting of under the seats and transmission tunnel but not under the dash which should be the easiest part. The door cards will be done a couple of weeks after this. I am looking forward to seeing the effects.

I will at this time add some OEM parts that are due in for delivery today and rough prices that i paid for those thinking of doing the same. This has currently put my rebuild of the rear interior on hold until it has all arrives:

Handbrake leather lever Assy : 46201 - 14260 - C3 (£175)

Molding, window rear seal : 75573 - 14210 (£65)

Seatbelt and retractor driver : 73210 - 14541 - C0 (£60)

Seatbelt and retractor passenger : 73220 - 14481 - C0 (£60)

Facelift headlight RH : 81111 - 1B231 (£300)

Facelift headlight LH : 81151 - 1B231 (£300)

Overnight parts from Japan

Leather shifter knob : 33504 - 14130 - C0 (£50)

Manual facelift shifter centre console : 58804 - 14080 (£80)

More to come over the next few weeks, I welcome you're constructive criticisms and comments :yes:

Holy crap that's a lot of sound deadening!! And i thought i used a lot :D

Car looks beautiful mate.

:D I know, but it is alot thinner than the normal stuff, so I have just gone for a uniform coverage, I may double layer the door cards though if i have a bit spare. I think all that so far weighs 12kg.

:D I know, but it is alot thinner than the normal stuff, so I have just gone for a uniform coverage, I may double layer the door cards though if i have a bit spare. I think all that so far weighs 12kg.

Pity it won't deaden the sound of your shit chat for any passenger in the car with you :D

• 3 weeks later...

So i've decided that to finish the car i'd have to work or train less, and make some time for it. I sacrificed training and the car has really come on leaps and bounds. Upto this stage i'm very happy with the results. It's worth noting that I do actually have all the caps to cover the screw holes, this was done after every panel was removed, cleaned and vinyl restored before being fettled back into place. A good condition stock interior is really not a bad looking place to be. Starting with the Roof, I've worked my way backwards.

I know some love it, but it is not my cup of tea. I've always hated the flock interior and the dash is no exception, it must go back to stock, so out it all must come!

Once out, I am confronted by this nasty mess.

While juggling interior work I have also gotten another carpet. It is in better condition than my black one....but unfortunately it is also grey :rolleyes:

This has been completed over quite a few days, started by dyeing, drying then washing and drying again. The last picture is not the final result, these happen to be the only photos I took of the job. You will see how dark it is once the interior is completed but note the process was repeated four times to achieve the finished result and 1.5L of black dye.

More to come :).

Edited by Hemanhead (see edit history)

Great work Zach :thumbs:

Chicken

Great up date zach! Looks awesome.

Thanks guys :)

Here is some more progress for you're viewing pleasure. Whilst the dash panels were out, I media blasted them, they really were not in good shape, especially the speedometer trim. This was to be sent for painting in a simple satin black to best match the new gear surround trim I bought from Japan.

So while this is away for paint it gave me time to fit a full Heckler LED conversion. This is not a hard process to follow and following the instructions from Si's website is a doddle. Some simple soldering and everything will work :taped:

Below is a pic that shows you how far you're speedometer, coolant and rev counter will continue to move if you simply take off the needle at the stop point. Please don't, Lift it over the stopper and it will rest where it wants. Take a photo and replace in the same position when you're new gauge is in place, crude I know but it works.

In the backgound you can see one of the PCB's, the wires get passed through the old bulb holes and I hard soldered it to positive and negative.

New TRD rev counter and 220mph speedo, looks much better I think. Fin.

Back to the car again because I have been waiting for mastic tape and more carpet dye. The car hasn't had a water membrane on the door cards so whilst I am dynamatting everything a membrane will put on.

After cleaning the card I've gone inside and covered fully the outside skin, taken components off of the centre, dynamatted and losely screwed them back in so I can use the door while i waited for the tape.

I had a little leftover so the doorcard itself received some treatment. I will at a later date seal the speaker bracket against the membrane but for now as the bracket is slightly damp from there being no membrane, it will be replaced when I have the available time and inclination. Unfortunately for me, the only mastic I seemed to be able to buy at the rush was this White stuff, and although this isn't pretty it's most certainly function over form here and the doorcard soon goes over the top. Both doorcards receive the same treatment, but here is a finished photo, I am sure you can use you're imagination for the passenger side.

No car can go back together without a goodluck charm, and here is mine, I'm guessing 1 and 100 Yen coins.

Thanks for viewing.

Steaming ahead now but the dragonball has arrived so soon!

Must work faster......

Anyway, the new dash is in, with a new headunit and the continuation of soundproofing, At this point i'm just waiting on layers of carpet dye to dry and for the dash panels to come back from the painters.

Although this is an unflattering nightshot, i think it necessary to show the difference of then and now and offer a big thanks to Scott on this forum who squeezed me in at late notice to get this stuff done, much better :thumbs:

Now the new dials are in, the LED's tested and working and the Nardi snap off steering wheel removed for this rare TRD piece. The house is becoming less cluttered and the end almost in sight now.

Final pics and I am really pleased with how this all turned out, hopefully you can agree, well worth the effort.

New gear surround, leather handbrake, leather gearknob and SRD billet lifter. Carpets are customs from Dane at Callaway motorsport on this forum incase anybody wanted to know. Great fit, front and rear.

Still more to do but that is the interior about 90% where I want it to be now and a really great place to sit. Thanks for viewing.