The mkiv Supra Owners Club

A word of caution on buying/selling Supra stuff at the moment

j_jza80

This :rlol:

Btw I messaged him on FB about a SubWoofer custom box he had made. He said a daft price & that was the end of it. At the time I thought I was dealing with a women due to the DP & the name is not clear cut but turns out that's his wife on his proile pic but yh some guys don't give it a rest. Sad really..

One guy put it right on the group page "Harley Whincop being 23 and previously being part of saxo/106 owners pages and encountering alot of scamming behaviour from people such as this I hoped that when I stepped up a level (quite afew levels) and purchased my supra I thought id be leaving all this behind me and dealing with adults. Some people just cant help themselves though it seems"

I saw my name then and panicked! With this thread being about scammers and then skim reading it and catching my name I suddenly thought shittt what have I done!!?

But yeah, I thought trying to get away with ripping people off was for youngens out to make a quick buck to buy there next halfords air filter.. not fully grown men/women who are part of a more mature community designed to help one another.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh go on then.

Say I want to stitch people up and earn 10k ASAP. I could join this forum, establish myself as a member, pay my £10 joining fee and build up a rapport with the other members in order to, one day, list a whole load of fictitious stuff on the forum to "sell" then do a runner with the money.... that would work. Or, I could just list a whole load of fake stuff on the facebook page using a fake username created the same week with some random junk on it.

I understand that you are saying that someone could create a profile on here and set to selling immediately after paying their £10. They wouldn't sell very much though and I doubt anyone who isn't an idiot would buy from such a member, the same can't be said about the facebook page.

Someone would need to go to a lot of work to go for a scam on here. Most instances of people losing out on here are due to misfortune or laziness. There is the odd bit of malicious intent but it's very rare.

- - - Updated - - -

You're in line for 9 million, never mind 2 million :D

If I was buying a set of wheels for a 'far too good to be true price' from someone I don't know on Facebook or someone on here with 43769943828412797 posts I would be taking the same precautions either way.

Which all goes back to the first point: you are buying from a person, not the website/forum.

Simple.

To be fair I've bought stuff off that FB page several times and been fine with every purchase. I'm sure I've seen a few of the names line up with this forums usernames mind you so I guess I was lucky.

I was after some side pods, hockey sticks etc and saw Nizam had a set for sale...I just scrolled right past them. Wasn't even going to entertain the idea.

To be fair I've bought stuff off that FB page several times and been fine with every purchase. I'm sure I've seen a few of the names line up with this forums usernames mind you so I guess I was lucky.

I was after some side pods, hockey sticks etc and saw Nizam had a set for sale...I just scrolled right past them. Wasn't even going to entertain the idea.

I would of messaged him just purely for the comedy reply :D

I've dealt with many people on here in my 10 years and had no issues - one item was not as described at all but that's about it.

Have had a few deals with folk on the FB page and, to date, have had no issues at all - the RMM lip I just got from André in Sweden was a good deal and without doubt the best comms and updates I've had on all 3 sites ever. Have dealt with Moe on there too and he's been a gent.

Have had hundreds of deals on eBay and only been stung once in 14 years on there - I check thoroughly on people's feedback before buying large items as many folk will sell lots of £2 and £3 items to build up a profile that's 100% then sting someone with an item for many hundreds of £s.

Caveat emptor applies wherever you are and whoever you buy from - you can check people's feedback and history on here pretty easily as you can on Facebook and eBay.

I've seen plenty of dispute threads on here and there have been many cases of some established members suddenly ripping folk off and disappearing.

- - - Updated - - -

Some say he has so much money he keeps it in a rolled up carpet...

Interesting. . . . . . .!!

I'm on that group.

I'm in this forum.

It's who you're buying from, not where.

Same and agreed.

I've seen a fair few dodgy (now banned) members on here do similar things. Second hand car parts (or anything for that matter) is always a little bit of a gamble unless you know the person.

I saw my name then and panicked! With this thread being about scammers and then skim reading it and catching my name I suddenly thought $#@!tt what have I done!!?

But yeah, I thought trying to get away with ripping people off was for youngens out to make a quick buck to buy there next halfords air filter.. not fully grown men/women who are part of a more mature community designed to help one another.

Sorry for £#@!tt you up! LOL just couldn't help quote your post, you hit the nail on the head because I thought the exact same.

Just goes to show money talks bullsh$$ walks, no loyalty with some people.

#MoneyChangesPeopleLikeTheSeasons

Edited by Supra2jze (see edit history)

Don't forget, many, many members on here are on the facebook group.

And also that many members have been ripped off on this forum, and scammed.

And it's easy to delete or not use this profile on the forum.

I really don't see the huge difference.

And I bet if you were to join the group, you'd probably find quite a few friends on there.

You have the same security on here as you do on there.

The only difference is on here you can see their posts and see their feedback, but if scammed you have no leg to stand on except going through paypal.

On facebook, you can see some, if not all of their profile.

If scammed, no leg to stand on except going through paypal.

So really why is this forum "safer" and more "secure" then using the facebook group?

My thoughts exactly.

The Forum is a good place to know who you are dealing with to a degree, but at the end of the day, as with Facebook, you are just looking at a name and a picture. You can create a profile and proclaim to be anyone you want...

Its a simple case of buyer beware, use a payment method where you can cover your arse if it comes to it and dont send payments as a "gift" on PayPal.

If there is any doubts, then investigate it or dont follow through.

It sucks to be ripped off, but if you dont do the leg work, then dont be surprised if you get bit.

Does anyone else think that the principle of using that page to buy and sell undermines our own for sale section/ membership perks?

Perhaps if folk want the convenience of using Facebook to buy sell we could use the club Facebook page?

People are obviously free to do what they like, but as a member of this club, I don't think I will be using it from a matter of principle.

Does anyone else think that the principle of using that page to buy and sell undermines our own for sale section/ membership perks?

Perhaps if folk want the convenience of using Facebook to buy sell we could use the club Facebook page?

People are obviously free to do what they like, but as a member of this club, I don't think I will be using it from a matter of principle.

Same could be said about any facebook selling page and the likes of ebay or Amazon :/

The facebook page isn't just convenient, you're getting a much bigger audience, and it's instant.

Same could be said about any facebook selling page and the likes of ebay or Amazon :/

The facebook page isn't just convenient, you're getting a much bigger audience, and it's instant.

I get what you are saying there, but it just seems like it has the potential for offering a workaround for paying a membership fee to people that would have previously joined to browse the for sale section.

The comment was made out of concern it could harm the club is all.

The club has a Facebook page, could we use that to link to a for sale thread if people want to increase the exposure of a for sale thread?

Plus, most folk on here use eBay to sell parts if they don't shift on the forum do they not? "Last chance before it goes on eBay" etc

I get what you are saying there, but it just seems like it has the potential for offering a workaround for paying a membership fee to people that would have previously joined to browse the for sale section.

The comment was made out of concern it could harm the club is all.

The club has a Facebook page, could we use that to link to a for sale thread if people want to increase the exposure of a for sale thread?

Plus, most folk on here use eBay to sell parts if they don't shift on the forum do they not? "Last chance before it goes on eBay" etc

The point of the membership fee prior to being allowed to buy or sell is meant as some form of 'exclusivity' that would prevent chancers and ne'er do wells from fleecing us. Advertising it on FB is in direct conflict with that..

Every method of selling parts etc is fine by me - it's an open market - a lot of us put bits for sale on here and ebay at the same time. Nothing wrong with that. This forum isn't and should never be the only place where Supras and Supra parts are sold.

Just don't buy from Niz - simple really.

The point of the membership fee prior to being allowed to buy or sell is meant as some form of 'exclusivity' that would prevent chancers and ne'er do wells from fleecing us. Advertising it on FB is in direct conflict with that..

If I advertised a link to a for sale thread on the club Facebook, you would need to log in to the forum (as a paid member) to view it in the for sale section, providing a fail safe.

I respect your point about a free market, but I'd just prefer to use the forum.

Dad brought a heater control panel from the Facebook supra parts page, was advertised as "Good working order" had it fitted in the car. Turns out only 3 lights work on the whole thing! The one we had before was in better condition. It was only £25 so not a big deal, but its not the point.

Sounds perfect for a LED colour coded conversion!! :D