j_jza80

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was suprised he sold anything on there anyway, his prices were as daft as him

This :rlol:

Btw I messaged him on FB about a SubWoofer custom box he had made. He said a daft price & that was the end of it. At the time I thought I was dealing with a women due to the DP & the name is not clear cut but turns out that's his wife on his proile pic but yh some guys don't give it a rest. Sad really..

One guy put it right on the group page "Harley Whincop being 23 and previously being part of saxo/106 owners pages and encountering alot of scamming behaviour from people such as this I hoped that when I stepped up a level (quite afew levels) and purchased my supra I thought id be leaving all this behind me and dealing with adults. Some people just cant help themselves though it seems"

Knowing what I know, I know where I'd trust! It's just a shame some of the things we've seen have to remain hidden for one reason or another. It's worth noting there's a lot that goes on behind the scenes on this site - ALL of it in the members' interests.

I'm on that group.

I'm in this forum.

It's who you're buying from, not where.

This isn't as cut and dry as you think. If you were a new member I wouldn't buy from you.... regardless of how trustworthy and stand up you are.

I will happily buy from people I know on facebook as I will on here. What I won't do is buy off of some random who could disappear at any point. On the forum I have a MUCH better chance of judging such a person based on their participation on the forum than I do on a random buy and sell website on FB.

It's ALWAYS the person you are buying from and not the location. I could easily set up a new name on facebook, join that group and promise the world. It would be an absolute doddle, on here I would get the odd catch but most people will only buy from people who are known.

That started out sounding like you're disagreeing, but in fact you've just said what I said?

It depends on the point you were trying to make. If you were saying that it doesn't matter whether the trade is on a facebook page or a forum then I'm disagreeing. I know most active members on this forum, I know almost none on the facebook page. That makes a massive difference to my buying/selling confidence. The consequences on here are more substantial than on FB. I would feel ashamed being on here if I had ripped off another member, I would lose the social aspect of this forum due to mistrust, etc.

The people who don't care are the ones who I wouldn't buy from anyway.

It depends on the point you were trying to make. If you were saying that it doesn't matter whether the trade is on a facebook page or a forum then I'm disagreeing. I know most active members on this forum, I know almost none on the facebook page. That makes a massive difference to my buying/selling confidence. The consequences on here are more substantial than on FB. I would feel ashamed being on here if I had ripped off another member, I would lose the social aspect of this forum due to mistrust, etc.

The people who don't care are the ones who I wouldn't buy from anyway.

But what you're saying is in agreement with what I've said, in that you're buying from a person.

Whether that person is on the forum/Facebook/eBay/Gumtree/Pistonheads etc you as a buyer make a judgement call to buy from another human being or not.

I buy from this forum, I buy from that Facebook page, I buy from other sources.

I as a buyer make a decision based on information available to me on the seller and the terms and conditions of the sale.

So this word of warning about a certain Facebook group is irrelevant, because obviously you should take care in buying anything from anyone, anywhere.

I agree with Scott. I'm always pessimistic about who I buy from. At least on here the familiar/regular members are people you build up a rapport with to some degree. I personally would feel unlucky if I brought something of the longstanding members and then got stitched up.

Not saying they're/would be more trustworthy than anyone else, but if people take the time to be on here often and contribute to the forum in any capacity, I doubt they will want to ruin that by scamming someone on here. I personally would feel too embarrassed to loiter around here if I had stitched someone up.

On the flip side when you are new here and have no feedback rating it makes people wary of you. I know people deserve a chance, but just for example iirc the guy selling the 6speed box was a new member, and I know I wouldn't want to hand over thousands of £££'s to a newbie that nobody knows, or has met before.

No but then that would be up to you Graham as the buyer to cover your arse and make sure the person you are buying from is legit. Ie cash in hand, take a friend, friend request on Facebook, Google search username email address etc etc.

My irritance with this maybe stems from recent browsing of Facebook pages for alloy wheel sales, so many people recently posting up things along the lines of "I sent this guy £1000 for some rimz and he's disappeared" etc.

Don't forget, many, many members on here are on the facebook group.

And also that many members have been ripped off on this forum, and scammed.

And it's easy to delete or not use this profile on the forum.

I really don't see the huge difference.

And I bet if you were to join the group, you'd probably find quite a few friends on there.

You have the same security on here as you do on there.

The only difference is on here you can see their posts and see their feedback, but if scammed you have no leg to stand on except going through paypal.

On facebook, you can see some, if not all of their profile.

If scammed, no leg to stand on except going through paypal.

So really why is this forum "safer" and more "secure" then using the facebook group?

I couldn't imagine people with 10k posts like yourself and 9 years membership stitching me up over some unknown on Facebook. I know it can/does and has happened but this place is far more of a comunity than what I view places like that to be. Plus most people on here are known by others on here too so it's not always the hardest thing to track down their previously used addresses if they have sellers feedback.

Also I just hate Facedump too :D

I agree with Scott. I'm always pessimistic about who I buy from. At least on here the familiar/regular members are people you build up a rapport with to some degree. I personally would feel unlucky if I brought something of the longstanding members and then got stitched up.

Not saying they're/would be more trustworthy than anyone else, but if people take the time to be on here often and contribute to the forum in any capacity, I doubt they will want to ruin that by scamming someone on here. I personally would feel too embarrassed to loiter around here if I had stitched someone up.

On the flip side when you are new here and have no feedback rating it makes people wary of you. I know people deserve a chance, but just for example iirc the guy selling the 6speed box was a new member, and I know I wouldn't want to hand over thousands of £££'s to a newbie that nobody knows, or has met before.

^^ He gets what I'm saying. Too late to be repeating what I'm saying when you didn't get it the first time :D

^^ He gets what I'm saying. Too late to be repeating what I'm saying when you didn't get it the first time :D

If I don't repeat anything I'll never hit two million posts :D

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to do the Supraleeturbo style of posting- Read a few lines and then just randomly type.

Ahh go on then.

Say I want to stitch people up and earn 10k ASAP. I could join this forum, establish myself as a member, pay my £10 joining fee and build up a rapport with the other members in order to, one day, list a whole load of fictitious stuff on the forum to "sell" then do a runner with the money.... that would work. Or, I could just list a whole load of fake stuff on the facebook page using a fake username created the same week with some random junk on it.

I understand that you are saying that someone could create a profile on here and set to selling immediately after paying their £10. They wouldn't sell very much though and I doubt anyone who isn't an idiot would buy from such a member, the same can't be said about the facebook page.

Someone would need to go to a lot of work to go for a scam on here. Most instances of people losing out on here are due to misfortune or laziness. There is the odd bit of malicious intent but it's very rare.

- - - Updated - - -

If I don't repeat anything I'll never hit two million posts :D

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to do the Supraleeturbo style of posting- Read a few lines and then just randomly type.

You're in line for 9 million, never mind 2 million :D

Ahh go on then.

Say I want to stitch people up and earn 10k ASAP. I could join this forum, establish myself as a member, pay my £10 joining fee and build up a rapport with the other members in order to, one day, list a whole load of fictitious stuff on the forum to "sell" then do a runner with the money.... that would work. Or, I could just list a whole load of fake stuff on the facebook page using a fake username created the same week with some random junk on it.

I understand that you are saying that someone could create a profile on here and set to selling immediately after paying their £10. They wouldn't sell very much though and I doubt anyone who isn't an idiot would buy from such a member, the same can't be said about the facebook page.

Someone would need to go to a lot of work to go for a scam on here. Most instances of people losing out on here are due to misfortune or laziness. There is the odd bit of malicious intent but it's very rare.

- - - Updated - - -

I remember on Myspace the fun that could be had with fake profiles, and how easy it is to make it look like you have real friends etc. Between a few of you you could generate and maintain a few each, post on each others walls etc to appear real, then scam a few hundred quid if not more.

Scott I'm waiting for you and JP and Havard to tuck everyone up- you've done the forum groundwork.

Not sure about 9million though. I think 7.5 million is attainable :D

Something I just realised, not sure why I didn't think about it before.

Reasons for buying/selling on facebook page:

You are banned from the Forum for abusing the For Sale section

You don't want to pay the £10 joining fee on here

Absolutely no comeback whatsoever

Those are some big pluses for certain people.

Ahh go on then.

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed.

I'd personally prefer buying off here than off the FB group also. People have been banned & I am sure that ban was for a reason. I could create an FB group with Scott's name & picture, no one would be wiser & you'll be chasing a tall Scottish bloke whilst I could be in Wales :D

Or, I could just list a whole load of fake stuff on the facebook page using a fake username created the same week with some random junk on it.

I read on it today that to be accepted into that selling group your fb profile had to be at least a year old, to help stop banned members just creating a new one and joining again. Not a bad idea if it's policed right.

Al will know a lot more about that than me though

Something I just realised, not sure why I didn't think about it before.

Reasons for buying/selling on facebook page:

You are banned from the Forum for abusing the For Sale section

You don't want to pay the £10 joining fee on here

Absolutely no comeback whatsoever

Those are some big pluses for certain people.

This!

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed.

I'd personally prefer buying off here than off the FB group also. People have been banned & I am sure that ban was for a reason. I could create an FB group with Scott's name & picture, no one would be wiser & you'll be chasing a tall Scottish bloke whilst I could be in Wales :D

Wtf would you go there.... set the bar higher Abz :D

I read on it today that to be accepted into that selling group your fb profile had to be at least a year old, to help stop banned members just creating a new one and joining again. Not a bad idea if it's policed right.

Certainly a wise move if that's the case...... better get making some profiles now then :D

That's OK, I know a few passwords ;)

I get the points you are making, but even if you were to be scammed by a long standing member on here which has happened a few times before or by someone who's been on a few months with a good record, your only real comeback is going through PayPal disputes.

Which is exactly the same on the facebook group.

And I wouldn't just buy from any random on facebook, and I do as much checking as I can.

And most ive bought from are members on here and/or are friends on my facebook or have mutual friends.

And most of the members are pretty vigilante and jump on the for sale posts if they think something is wrong.

And as mentioned earlier, you have to be accepted by admin in the group.

Yes it may of been created by a member who was banned from here, and there are other members that are banned here that are in facebook.

But this forum isn't the be all and end all with supras.

And I do agree, this forum does have more benefits and is a community, and a very good one at that.

Guess it all depends on who you deal with.

Branners will 'only' let him reach 8,999,999, and then cruelly reset his post count again, resulting in Graham's lifes work in tatters.

That would be devastating and a waste of a weeks posting :D

It's almost a shame that I will no longer know what the real number would of been.