The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Shawn's UK 3.4 V160 Single Ridox Widearch

ShawnPreece

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm finding getting a plate an absolute nightmare. All I want is road legal gapping, load regal lettering and trimmed as small as I can get it. I've calculated what I thought the size should be but a few "custom" plate places have suggested it would end up bigger than a standard plate. I just don't get it.

If I could, I would buy a standard size plate then cut it to size, leaving the gap as required. Unfortunately that would take off the writing at the bottom showing the supplier :(

no worries mate :) yeah I may be wrong but as far as I know the import plates are the smallest legal plates you can use, thats what im going with anyway :)

When are the new shoes going on? Car looks awsome :)

cheers mate :thumbs: had a little setback on the sizing so the rear wheels are on and fit perfect but had to order new front ones now as they stuck to far out :( will be here and on the car as of tomorrow night though :)

Beautiful, can't wait to see it with the new wheels

cheers mate :) the wheels will be on the car tomorrow night so will upload some pics of it on here friday morning :)

and an update from where I am now.........

Calipers were dry so got a few pics of them after being painted and put the Supra decals on :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=221024&stc=1&d=1500559440

attachment.php?attachmentid=221025&stc=1&d=1500559440

attachment.php?attachmentid=221026&stc=1&d=1500559440

Did hit abit of a snag with the wheels though… the rear wheels are perfect fitment and after removing the rear suspension and jacking the wheel up inside the arch (to see the clearance) they clear the arch by 0.5mm both sides but the front ones are too far out and catch the arch so iv had to order 2 new wheels for the front (luckily there were 2 left in the UK of the size I wanted so snapped them up straight away). They should be getting here today so I will get the tyres transferred onto them tomorrow and then fit them to the car too :)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Edited by ShawnPreece (see edit history)

What size and offset were the fronts ?

Could you not of fitted a slightly smaller tyre ?

nah they were quite abit off, they were 18x9.5et12 and were sticking out by about 20mm, not quite sure how they ended up being so far off I must of worked it out wrong but iv ordered some 18x10et35 to go on it now so should sit nice and flush...... I hope lol

nah they were quite abit off, they were 18x9.5et12 and were sticking out by about 20mm, not quite sure how they ended up being so far off I must of worked it out wrong but iv ordered some 18x10et35 to go on it now so should sit nice and flush...... I hope lol

Ok fair enough, so your new wheels will be 16mm further in.

Ok fair enough, so your new wheels will be 16mm further in.

isn't it 23mm?? im using the same tyres as they were slightly mushroomed out on the 9.5 rims so the 10 inch rims they should fit nice and straight on the sidewall but as its the same tyres im using and the offset of the center of the wheel from the face of the hub is 35mm instead of 12mm wouldn't that mean it brings it in by 23mm?

Nope, 16-17mm.

U forgot to take off 1/4 of an inch for increase in wheel size.

the rim will sit about 16-17mm further in yes because of the difference in width but as im using the same tyre on the slightly wider rim (to get the sidewalls flat) wouldnt that mean that I would gain 6mm from the tyre not being mushroomed out on the new rim too? The 6mm would be from the rim being half inch bigger (so about 12.7mm) which would mean the tyre would come in just over 6mm each side from where it sat on the 9.5 rims meaning that the rim would come in 16-17mm and the tyre would come in an extra 6mm (in effect as it wont be overhanging the rim width by 6mm) making it around 23mm further in?

the rim will sit about 16-17mm further in yes because of the difference in width but as im using the same tyre on the slightly wider rim (to get the sidewalls flat) wouldnt that mean that I would gain 6mm from the tyre not being mushroomed out on the new rim too? The 6mm would be from the rim being half inch bigger (so about 12.7mm) which would mean the tyre would come in just over 6mm each side from where it sat on the 9.5 rims meaning that the rim would come in 16-17mm and the tyre would come in an extra 6mm (in effect as it wont be overhanging the rim width by 6mm) making it around 23mm further in?

What size tyre are you runnning ? 255/35 ?

Nope, 16-17mm.

U forgot to take off 1/4 of an inch for increase in wheel size.

Ok, there will be tonnes of space under the arch I would of said, especially as you have got wide arches.

Here is a quick sketch I knocked up with my workings just to show you what I mean.... the rim will only move in by 16-17mm but the tyre should end 23mm further in to clear the arch

attachment.php?attachmentid=221027&stc=1&d=1500559742

I cant wait to see her tomorrow shawn she looks amazing !

cheers mate :)

1.jpg

I get where you are coming from, are you correct.

Have you got a picture of how close it was to the arch ? and how much wider are the wings ment to be ?

Nah the wheels have come today so moment of truth will be trying them after I get the tyres fitted, im a little confused now so hope iv worked it out right lol, thanks for your help though :)

[ATTACH]201119[/ATTACH]

The tread on the tyre can't alter, you'll lose your mushrooming but the edge/corner will shift further in just because you increase the wheel size.

Ahh I see what you mean now yeah but the tyre is actually slightly wider than the rim and think it still will be (just not as much) on the new rims (not sure why the graphic has them inside of the rims) so dont think it will effect it but I am a little confused thinking through it all now so hoping they clear lol. Thanks for looking for me though :) thats the site in your picture I was trying to find when working it out but I couldn't find it lol

The 10 +35 wheels will sit 17mm further into the wheel arch but the width of the widest part of the tyre will remain the same, all that is changing is the bead of tyre sitting in a 9.5" width wheel or a 10" width wheel which will just effect the angle/curvature of the tyre wall.

The 10 +35 wheels will sit 17mm further into the wheel arch but the width of the widest part of the tyre will remain the same, all that is changing is the bead of tyre sitting in a 9.5" width wheel or a 10" width wheel which will just effect the angle/curvature of the tyre wall.

Thanks Nic :) as the tyre width would remain the same though and the offset goes by the center line of the wheel which the tyre will sit central on, wouldn't that mean that the critical information would just be the offset in this particular case so I would still have the center of the tyre (which is also the center of the wheel) at an offset of 35mm rather than 12mm so moving the center of the tyre 23mm in with keeping the same tyre width (only the rim width thats changing)??

sorry just trying to get my head around it lol

The reason I ask is i run a 18x10 et20 front and thats only 1.6mm less poke then your wheels and you have wide arches, now admittedly i run a 225/40 tyre but I would of thought that you could of used the 9.5J wheels you had before

Yeah I do agree I was thinking that from how much they claimed I would be able to run the wheels I had but they didnt seem to make anywhere as much difference as they claimed, I will take a picture tonight of my old front wheels on it (that I used before the wide arch) and they dont really look that out of place, it seems like the widearch on the front is more of a wide look the way that the contour is higher. Il take a few pics of it tonight but I was very suprised at how little I gained

Interior looks amazing!

Cannot wait to see pics of this with the new wheels

Ill be sure to have a look at Japfest, what club are you with?

Thanks mate :)

Im with a club called Mod-Godz so yeah definitely come and have a look :) are you on a stand too? if so what club you with?