The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Matt's Red RZ-S 6 Speed 1998 VVTI TT PROJECT THREAD

MATT RR

:thumbs:

Is it a non standard colour?

Its not as it happens, but here is something weird going on! The paint code on the car is 3L2 Super Red, I had some color coding work done when i first got the car and the body shop did it all to the paint code and it was way off! Took them ages to match it, the place that has the scoop has the same problem. Another member on here I met last week has also had the same issue with the same color, half the car resprayed with the paint code but its way off!

This isnt down to paint fade either, in discussion with the paint shop they put another paint code into their system 3E5 which is also Super Red and it came up with 4 or 5 variations of the same code! :(

link below to US forum discussing the issue....

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?87963-Supra-Paint-Codes-vrs-quot-Real-quot-Name&p=764441&viewfull=1#post764441

at the moment the paint shop are mixing up each version and doing spray cards to find the exact one, hopefully its one of them :taped: otherwise its analysing the paint to make up a match!

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the paint shop have finally managed to match the paint colour of my car for the OEM bonnet scoop :nana: they have done a spray card below which is next to the piece I cut from my bonnet for the scoop.

They say its not perfect, and 95% there....but it looks spot on to me, always hard to tell in a photo but they have assured me if I'm not happy with it at least i can have the car back on the road while they continue to find a better match at which point they will re-spray FOC :D

Hoping to have the car back on the road by the end of the week looking slightly different to when it came off the road :sly:

nice updates mate !

- - - Updated - - -

Picking up a host of other parts on Fri from my local MrT so just called and ordered two of these to have spares made up.:thumbs:

£10 each approx?

I cant remember to be honest but pretty sure they were around a teena :thumbs:

Engine bay shot is super clean and tidy, looks great.

I got some paint mixed up for mine for stone chips etc, it's an rsp and there were 5 shades available.

Surprising how much variation there is when you lay the different versions up.

Engine bay shot is super clean and tidy, looks great.

I got some paint mixed up for mine for stone chips etc, it's an rsp and there were 5 shades available.

Surprising how much variation there is when you lay the different versions up.

yeah i couldnt believe how complicated it gets, you would think the paint code on your car would be the paint colour on your car no question....................but no :rolleyes:

hey matt how do i raise the boost on my vvti supra tt

A boost controller would be your first stop, with a few supporting mods to take you to BPU it will make an amazing difference to the way the car drives, the search function is your friend :)

finally! car will be back on the road tommorrow :eyebrows: picked up my OEM scoop today from the painters and got it fitted! I managed to get all the parts I needed except 2, 1st being the 1st mount for the scoop and 2nd being the mesh.

I solved the mesh problem buy buying some alluminium mesh and cutting and ftting it myself with some epoxy resin type glue......simple

The 2nd problem was the 1st scoop mount is discontinued, there was a guy in Oz who 3d printed some but they were £80 each plus shipping and I coudnt even get hold of him to see if he still does them anymore, I then had the genious idea :idea: of buy another of the 2nd scoop mount which is still available and cutting it up into pieces with the old dremil to split it into two parts to mount the front of the scoop with (there is a bit of playing around to get it to line up but its worked a treat)

anyway, pics.......paint match seems ok in this light but no doubt it will look different in sunlight I bet :blink:

looks good Matt, love the wheels. You need better pictures mate :)

Cheers, yeah I know about the pics, hoping to have time to drive this weekend so will get some then :)

- - - Updated - - -

Those wheels look bloody gorgeous! :thumbs:

Thanks mate, hadn't seen them on a Supra before so was a bit worried :taped:

got this front crash bar ready for when I put the new stock front bumper on later this year or whenever I get round to it, it was very tatty but just picked it up from the powder coaters........pretty happy for £10......although no one will ever see it :D

• 2 weeks later...