Matt's Red RZ-S 6 Speed 1998 VVTI TT PROJECT THREAD

MATT RR

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got them from:

http://www.sportseats4u.co.uk/

This was the best price I could find for the ones I wanted, and a company that seemed to have a good rep, only annoying thing is they do not keep them in stock, they send them direct from Recaro so takes about 4 weeks, well worth the wait though :)

Snap, I got mine from them and they were the cheapest :).

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?304625-My-new-seats-new-interior-theme&highlight=Jazz1+Recaro

Did you go for the 3D stretch heavy duty seat cover in black? Also Ambla leather black/Arista black?

Hi mate, they are just the black ambla leather, yeh I got the seat covers too as they will be going on whenever the car goes for any work to keep them sweet ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Major mod update......fitted some gas bonnet struts :D got these from SGS engineering, cost about £20 so very happy with that little purchase, they didn't come with brackets though at that price! Makes working under the bonnet so much easier :)

• 1 month later...

another small update....it's the simple things you know.....new passenger side wind deflector and new rubber seal for the bumper to bonnet. Previously the car had no bumper to bonnet seal so an old one was put in which was knackered! much tidier now :)

out with the old.........

in with the new........

• 1 month later...

One thing I've realised this summer is the j-spec brakes really let the car down so I've invested in OEM big breaks :D consiting of:

* new OEM big brakes calipers front and rear

* new OEM shims/rattle clips/pins etc

* new OEM bolts all round

* new HEL braided lines

* new mtec protected drilled and groved discs

* new EBC red stuff pads all round

hoping this will make a marked difference in braking performance

One thing I've realised this summer is the j-spec brakes really let the car down so I've invested in OEM big breaks :D consiting of:

* new OEM big brakes calipers front and rear

* new OEM shims/rattle clips/pins etc

* new OEM bolts all round

* new HEL braided lines

* new mtec protected drilled and groved discs

* new EBC red stuff pads all round

hoping this will make a marked difference in braking performance

http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv331/giantmatt/GOPR1868_1438610937594_high.jpg

http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv331/giantmatt/20150803_150926.jpg

http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv331/giantmatt/20150803_150954.jpg

Oooh new stuff :-)

I'm wanting to replace my j-specs with New UKs, if you don't mind me asking, how much was it for all that new set up?

very nice mate, have you checked to see whether your wheels will clear the brakes?

Its a fair point, I've not done any serious math on it just very rough judgement by measuring the space there is now between the wheels and the j-specs!

Looks like they will fit though, the wheels are 19" with a fair bit of room, if they dont then the brakes will be going up for sale as I'd rather not start cutting into them or changing my wheels :taped:

- - - Updated - - -

Oooh new stuff :-)

I'm wanting to replace my j-specs with New UKs, if you don't mind me asking, how much was it for all that new set up?

I'll drop you a PM :)

Its a fair point, I've not done any serious math on it just very rough judgement by measuring the space there is now between the wheels and the j-specs!

Looks like they will fit though, the wheels are 19" with a fair bit of room, if they dont then the brakes will be going up for sale as I'd rather not start cutting into them or changing my wheels :taped:

- - - Updated - - -

I'll drop you a PM :)

Thanks [emoji106]🏼

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

As some of you may know one of my wheel nuts rounded off, so I had the pleasant job of drilling it out. I thought I would write up how I replaced the damaged stud after it was drilled:

said broken stud.....

First job is to remove the wheel, then the calliper and disc by the two bolts holdng the calliper on, this was easy as the car is a fresh import so no rusted nuts etc.

whilst I had the disc off I pre-empted fitting the big brake kit I have bought (which i am doing over winter), so i also removed the dust cover for the disk brake ready to fit the larger ones, this is 4 nuts to losen then tin snips to cut an opening to allow is to be removed over the hub without removing the hub. I then put the 4 bolts that held it on back in their respective holes to avoid them filling with debri/brake dust

To remove the wheel stud I used a standard ball joint remover (£10 of amazon), as the ball joint remover didn't open very far I had to grind the broken stud down a bit further, this also left a better edge to clamp the ball joint remover too:

With the ball joint remover in position, I used a breaker bar to lock the hub in place against the floor to stop it turning as I applied pressure to turn the separator:

The bolts are in quite tight so I used some wd40 to help it on its way, I did not hit or tap the stud as to avoid any damage to the wheel bearing, and pop, it came out:

old nut next to a new one, these are bout £2.50 from Toyota each:

I then put the new bolt in position, reversed the ball joint remover and tightened it up to press the new stud in. I know you can at this point put the disk back on and tighten a wheel nut to pull it through instead, but these are very tight to get in, and by using the ball joint remover I was 100% confident it was in all the way and would not then end up with a loose wheel half way down the road:

And there we have it. I am in no way mechanically minded or experienced but found this very easy from reading a write up on the forum and also with advice from other members, so thanks to everyone who contributed on my technical thread, very much appreciated :)

Edited by MATT RR (see edit history)