The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Matt's Red RZ-S 6 Speed 1998 VVTI TT PROJECT THREAD

MATT RR

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a quick write up on how I cleaned my Oil Control Valve (OCV) and filter on my VVTI Supra. The valve itself controls the oil pressure sent to the VVTi intake cam. I changed this more as a prevention than a cure.

I decided to replace the following two parts with new Toyota parts instead of cleaning them, as they are very cheap:

• Oil Control Valve Filter
  • Washers for the union bolt
  • OCV o-ring

In the end I didn’t use the new o-ring as the OCV was in very good condition as was the o-ring

Tools Required:

• 10mm socket
  • 22mm spanner
  • 5mm Alan key
  • Cloth/cleaning rag

First, the two plugs need to be unplugged/removed so you can access the union bolt as pictured:

Then, using the 22mm spanner under the nut to remove the union bolt and washers, careful not to drop the washers!

The bolt should come out with the OCV filter attached as pictured:

The filter easily pops off, here is the old and new filter:

If you are not replacing the part then clean it all up with a degreaser, be very careful with the mesh if doing this!

Then pop it all back in reverse of the process to take it out so you end up with it looking like this:

Next up is cleaning the actual OCV, to do this remove the cam cover bolts and then the cam cover, this reveals the OCV (circled), remove the nut holding it in place (as per pic) and slide the OCV out:

The end of the OCV

Where the OCV sits:

Give the OCV a good clean with a degreaser/cam cleaner, if the o-ring needs replacing nows the time to do it but it shouldn’t really be necessary. Then put it all back together in reverse of the above process:

Put the cam cover back in place and its all done.

According to a US forum this can be done if you have idle issues on your VVTI, or if there are error codes such as code 59 for supra and P1329 for IS300/Aristo which may be cleared by cleaning the OCV if there are issues with the VVTi system. I did mine our of interest/prevention/boredom etc J

Anyway I hope someone finds this useful :)

• 1 month later...

So after having the front bumper off for some winter maintenance it was time for it to go back on this weekend. While it was off I managed to get the intercooler and pipework all off, cleaned and polished and replaced with new hoses and clips. I also managed to do some rust prevention, undersealing and cleaning done etc etc.

Before the Top Sectret front bumper went back on, I test fitted my brand new OEM facelift front bumper :eyebrows: obviously its not going on yet, not until I have a new RRM lip or similar, get it painted etc so probably later this year!

anyway, a few before during and after pics:

Oh, and a pic of the club calendar taking pride of place on the garage wall :D thanks J-jza80 for my copy :)

Looking good mate, OEM front will look great. If you dont mind me asking how much does a new OEM bumper cost these days? Have a mate after one.

Thanks mate, I do like the top secret but prefer the more stock look :) yeh no worries, I was quoted £800-£900 from Toyota, but Paul at Whifbitz got me one for circa £365 which i thought was a cracking price for a brand new genuine one, that was collected though as I was passing for work, to have it delivered to my home would have cost more due to the size and a big box being required etc.

That price is just for the bumper though, you would also need a lip, front undertray if going from aftermarket to stock, bumper foam, cross member for the mouth if its facelift :)

Thanks mate, I do like the top secret but prefer the more stock look :) yeh no worries, I was quoted £800-£900 from Toyota, but Paul at Whifbitz got me one for circa £365 which i thought was a cracking price for a brand new genuine one, that was collected though as I was passing for work, to have it delivered to my home would have cost more due to the size and a big box being required etc.

That price is just for the bumper though, you would also need a lip, front undertray if going from aftermarket to stock, bumper foam, cross member for the mouth if its facelift :)

She looks great already but I like you preffer the OEM front. Will look brilliant im sure.

Paul certainly did a great deal there! Would have though it should have been much more even if it is just a bare bumper.

She looks great already but I like you preffer the OEM front. Will look brilliant im sure.

Paul certainly did a great deal there! Would have though it should have been much more even if it is just a bare bumper.

yeah considering what they sell for second hand to get a brand spanker at that price isnt bad, although anyone wanting one should probably get it ordered now as they wont be getting any cheaper or easier to find.

I remember when I had my last Supra about 5 years ago I gave a stock front bumper away free of charge........doh!

Looking good! The car will almost be the twin of mine with the new bumper! Very nice car you have there.... It reminds me I actually need to use mine :(

Just had a look on your progress thread, yeah you are right they will be twins almost! Just need to get my UK brake set up on next :) Lovely looking car mate, great color choice ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Looks magic Matt :cool:

Thank you Jim :)

Hi Matt!

The supra is fine! Progress has been slow but I am now making arrangements to go NA-T in the next months so cant wait!!

The midlands are ok! Of course its nowhere near as pretty as York. Living in Coventry now. But I am getting used to it and work is much better so can't complain really! :)

Hope all is well with you too! Loving how your treating the car! Keep up the good work! :)

Another job done, I removed the windscreen cowl, mainly to check the channel underneath was clear, clean and no signs of rust, thankfully it was just dirty so I cleaned it up! There were some patches that only had a very light painting from the factory, so I gave them a covering of red oxide primer to help protect them.

I tried some remedies to restore the cowl back to its former glory, but it still wasn’t coming up as good as I wanted, after considering to spray it myself I ended up taking it to my local body shop........and for the bargain price of £40 the cowl was returned looking fantastic! He did express it was very difficult to do, and I wasnt expecting it to come back like new or perfect, but I am very happy with how it did come back!

Before putting it back on I replaced the foam strip that goes between the cowl and the bodywork, as the original had become so brittle with age it was rock hard, missing in places and had started to rub on the paint underneath. I again covered these areas with red oxide primer, put the new foam on and fitted it back on the car:

Very happy with the result, such a differences from the old faded cowl! It’s had a fair few coats of paint so now I just hope it lasts, time will tell!!