The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Matt's Red RZ-S 6 Speed 1998 VVTI TT PROJECT THREAD

MATT RR

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, never thought I would be taking an angle grinder to my car but yep, that just happened :taped:

So I managed to get a brand new UK spec bonnet scoop, as well as all the associated fixings minus the mesh and air guide 1 which are discontinued. The mesh is no problem, I just picked up some aluminium mesh from B&Q which I have cut ready to fit after painting, and regards air intake 1 being discontinued, I hence only cut the hole for air intake 2 ( I’m not sure why there are 2 air intake guides really anyway, as they both force the air into the same panel guide underneath the bonnet and out the same hole, I can only assume it helps intake more air having both holes, anyhow......pictures......

Here are all the parts (I love getting parts it feels like Christmas :))

First I drilled 2 holes from the underside mounting holes in order to know where the scoop would be placed, I then sat it on the bonnet and masked off the area of the scoop, I then sat the intake guide on the bonnet and masked that off so I knew where to cut:

I then covered the entire car, this ended up taking longer than the cutting :) but worth it to avoid any damage to the paint from grinding!

Then the scary bit, going at it with the angle grinder! Surprisingly there was not a single spark! Weird! You need to be careful not to cut to deep and wreck the mounting points and structural supports of the bonnet:

I then test fitted the scoop, air guide 2, and underside panel guide.........and it fitted.......like a glove :)

The best bit is I now have a piece of metal with the exact paint colour of my bonnet that I can leave at the body shop with the scoop so they can take their time to match it exactly! (my car had a re-spay in Japan before import and has been difficult to match on some previous work I had done so this does help)

Anyhow, all that’s left after painting is to fit it all including the mesh! For the time being poor Mr. Supra is sat in the garage with a big hole in the bonnet :(

As mentioned on my wanted thread I wont be fitting the snorkel, not even sure if its still available or will fit a VVTI engine, I wanted to fit the scoop to generally help cool the engine but mainly because I love the look of Supra's with the OEM scoop!

Well, never thought I would be taking an angle grinder to my car but yep, that just happened :taped:

So I managed to get a brand new UK spec bonnet scoop, as well as all the associated fixings minus the mesh and air guide 1 which are discontinued. The mesh is no problem, I just picked up some aluminium mesh from B&Q which I have cut ready to fit after painting, and regards air intake 1 being discontinued, I hence only cut the hole for air intake 2 ( I’m not sure why there are 2 air intake guides really anyway, as they both force the air into the same panel guide underneath the bonnet and out the same hole, I can only assume it helps intake more air having both holes, anyhow......pictures......

Here are all the parts (I love getting parts it feels like Christmas :))

http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv331/giantmatt/20160203_164447.jpg

First I drilled 2 holes from the underside mounting holes in order to know where the scoop would be placed, I then sat it on the bonnet and masked off the area of the scoop, I then sat the intake guide on the bonnet and masked that off so I knew where to cut:

http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv331/giantmatt/20160203_180421.jpg

http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv331/giantmatt/20160203_180411.jpg

I then covered the entire car, this ended up taking longer than the cutting :) but worth it to avoid any damage to the paint from grinding!

http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv331/giantmatt/20160203_181255.jpg

Then the scary bit, going at it with the angle grinder! Surprisingly there was not a single spark! Weird! You need to be careful not to cut to deep and wreck the mounting points and structural supports of the bonnet:

http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv331/giantmatt/20160203_182749.jpg

http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv331/giantmatt/20160203_182804.jpg

I then test fitted the scoop, air guide 2, and underside panel guide.........and it fitted.......like a glove :)

http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv331/giantmatt/20160203_183314.jpg

http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv331/giantmatt/20160203_183255.jpg

The best bit is I now have a piece of metal with the exact paint colour of my bonnet that I can leave at the body shop with the scoop so they can take their time to match it exactly! (my car had a re-spay in Japan before import and has been difficult to match on some previous work I had done so this does help)

Anyhow, all that’s left after painting is to fit it all including the mesh! For the time being poor Mr. Supra is sat in the garage with a big hole in the bonnet :(

As mentioned on my wanted thread I wont be fitting the snorkel, not even sure if its still available or will fit a VVTI engine, I wanted to fit the scoop to generally help cool the engine but mainly because I love the look of Supra's with the OEM scoop!

Gotta love a scoop [emoji106]🏼

No sparks as its aluminium by the way.

Popped to the body shop today to drop off the bonnet scop for painting, while i was there I picked up my rocker cover which I had left to be painted satin black, I also had the "two way twin turbo" raised lettering removed as one day....one day....I will be going sngle :eyebrows:

Anyhow, I'm well chuffed with the finish! Ill get some pics of it fitted tomorrow :)

:D someone has to encourage it

Damn you......I so nearly took it off and droped it off with the spark plug cover to be matched........think I will have to now you have mentioned it :lol: , Im after a rad cooling plate so ill wait till I get that and take them both! :D

• 1 month later...
nice one mate

great that its not the usual work wheels for a change :)

Thanks, I did try to find one i liked that I havn't seen on a Supra yet (prepared for lots of pics of Supra's with these wheels now) Hope they look nice on :taped:

There is a set of Rays I really want but at 3 times the cost Im going to put them on the wish list :)

Great looking bay ; I would replace those blue lines by black one's ;)

I like your thinking, Im working slowly towards a black stealthy look in the bay.....certain things I keep putting off thinking dont waste the money because if I go single one day lots of things will change/go............1st world problems ay

Still cant believe I haven't seen this, stop being a garage queen :)

Ha ha yeah i know, at the moment there is a hole in my bonnet waiting for the scoop which is at the paint shop.......problems matching the colour but hopefully back on the road next weekend fingers crossed ;) looking foward to seeing yours too the transformation is incredible!

Ha ha yeah i know, at the moment there is a hole in my bonnet waiting for the scoop which is at the paint shop.......problems matching the colour but hopefully back on the road next weekend fingers crossed ;) looking foward to seeing yours too the transformation is incredible!

:thumbs:

Is it a non standard colour?