The mkiv Supra Owners Club

6Speed Aerotop Single Turbo Project Aurora (PICS!)

Hitbox Junkie

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
Hey Ant how's this coming on ?

Sorry not done any updates but its been moved to SRD and the engine is out, but not looking good will wait to give details ad pictures. its a real downer but Im always positive its just really taking a tole on me with everything else going on. any ways I'm not going to give up.

Also think Lee may start a new thread. shall see.

• 1 month later...

I will be relieved when it's finished. But stress over my wallet and not knowing the cost to finish.

Be happy when its finished and I'm out the red.

Can't wait to pick up when ever that is going to be and drive it. Been over a year and a half nearly since I bought the lemon.

Just hope it gives everyone else a lesson to get someone to view it with you that knows there way around a supra.

Still always positive :)

Nice progress mate but How can you not no the cost of the final bill must all be set prices surly? Bugger waiting to the end of the build then getting a 20k bill to pay out the blue.

/QUOTE]

Because of the state of the car is in. We have a rough estimate but we don't have a completed list if parts we are getting changing ect and the engine was eve worse that we could imagine.

It's not going to be a bull at the end but paying as it goes. Lee is really busy and I'm fine with mine being put aside hopefully will have more progress after db :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Lets get one thing straight here the car was started at AFR Tuning, the motor was built by Tommy who know works building Maclaren engines, when that motor was built in 2010 there was nothing wrong with it, i never used a gasket between manifold and turbo we always used a thin skim of Sikaflex same as on the motor that made 1250hp on TDI's dyno also built by Tommy, Im not getting involved in a slanging match but the head I seem to remember was all rebuilt, I have never known Tommy build a bad engine, any motor put together with silicone instead of gaskets will have a little ingress into the interior, yes ive fitted new O rings to water by-pass tube and ripped em going in so we used to lube them with silicone, unfortunately when AFR Tuning LTD liquidated I spoke to several owners and asked where they wanted their cars to stay/go. Cars were taken to Austec but shortly after I had the notorious bike crash that involved dieing 3 times on the A13 and a 1 month coma, it took almost a year to get back into a fit condition to work and by then Austec had problems and the cars sat about BUT the only way that motor would have failed is if any rust ingression due to standing had set in, all shops have disasters , Oh yes I know all the horror stories you dont get to hear about but I still refute that Tommy built a bad engine when he is employed to build MacLaren engines.My first and last post on the matter, all I will say is I watched a Cerbera motor get built by Austec and the customer proceeded to drive it (after running in and it being perfect) with an injector stuck open for 700 miles, yes it borewashed. I told him Austec was due to wind up and best get it sorted somewhere else (there had been months of arguing over blame, funny how one bore was like a mirror and piston looked new) guess what the other garage report said? parts I witnessed being fitted had not been, clearances were wrong when I saw them all checked (car gets thrashed around the ring so clearances on the larger side of spec), second hand chain and guides (I ordered the new ones and saw them fitted. And the crux was the customer believed them and paid for a full rebuild on a motor that needed one liner and rings !!! Its business I suppose, thats all I have to say and I hope the new owner gets what he wants as he is a real nice guy.

• 2 months later...

Lee sent over some pics yesterday and today :)

Before

attachment.php?attachmentid=215613&d=1478628470

attachment.php?attachmentid=215612&d=1478628451

attachment.php?attachmentid=215614&d=1478628488

attachment.php?attachmentid=215615&d=1478628537

Baffle plates got striped out and cleaned

After

attachment.php?attachmentid=215616&d=1478628587

attachment.php?attachmentid=215617&d=1478628601

Went with simple black, I haven't even considered colours of such things as I am just focused on having it up and running so going with a plan black and polished theme for now. (I do have plans for what I will want for late next year or least when the car is finished at SRD)

IMG-20161104-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20161104-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20161104-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20161104-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20161108-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20161108-WA0001.jpg

Edited by Hitbox Junkie (see edit history)