The mkiv Supra Owners Club

mharvey's NA-T Journey

mharvey

Part 31 - Time for mapping

With the car at SRD and an ever looming trip to Europe (inc Nurburgring) Lee and the team began making progress on the car almost instantly.

The first thing that I noticed was the amount of updates. Lee made sure that I received regular photos and knew how much progress was being made. VERY grateful and a very different experience to others I've had.

So a few photos of the progress were as follows;

The one job I did ask of SRD, was for them to supply one of their 4in intercooler cores and to fabricate the intercooler pipework to suit.

I have had hoses blow off previously, as always they go at the worst time and it's usually the most inaccessible one so I wanted to limit the amount of weak points.

395770725_imgs1.jpeg.34313e4ea75dda2322e659f4545ac2df.jpeg

Before leaving the car with SRD I was asked what colour I wanted the new pipework. It was something I hadn't considered but I went with black and am very happy I did.

1269340410_imgs3.jpeg.e83a0831518de1db87fa68f9540c42a5.jpeg

1288328562_imgs2.jpeg.ca1d5f1cf227922ba5b0f8c807e087f0.jpeg

Unfortunately there were a few issues including the fuel lines which I'd acquired previously. They were too long and SRD had to do what they could with them.

They work just fine however they are something I'll look to change with the next round of upgrades

1139456566_imgs4.jpeg.7b2222310e1875c97853866f68de5deb.jpeg

With the lines sorted though the cover could go back on and the boot is relatively complete. I didn't update this previously but I began sound deadening the boot (well my girlfriend did the majority). It has a layer of foil backed silent coat and then the black sound deadening on top of that.

My hope is it will eliminate some drone and road noise from the rear.

1843300514_imgs5.jpeg.46d5d137a72769cf182716c1c19d3a3f.jpeg

SRD then set up the cam position sensor in the form of FSM's FU_Dizzy kit and this meant putting in their cam pulley (with magnets for the CPS) and a matching PHR pulley with new bolts.

290889284_imgs6.jpeg.9d535f52f25c4cc67a0821de22b85900.jpeg

I got sent a photo of the engine bay and it looks brilliant in my opinion. Compare to many of the TT bays out there it's nothing special but considering it last had the ugly NA intake etc, I'm very happy.

(I have got a different coil cover set up which features a clear cover at the front to show off those PHR pulleys).

1177656842_imgs7.jpeg.d567fcf770bef3d7b0a08e38daee96a0.jpeg

Then at the end of last week I got this photo through, one of my favourite pics of the car now really. She's ready for mapping which is underway as we speak. Figures are already looking good, just some road stuff to be done now I think.

102053032_imgs8.jpeg.8e6e505f98db1475d44779d7e0d39574.jpeg

Edited by mharvey (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

Part 32 - The end of the road

So SRD did their thing, mapping seemed to go very well with the car making....

600whp or circa 720bhp at the fly :)

I can't remember the torque figure off the top of my head but it was very very impressive.

I will scan the graph in and post if anybody is interested.

1479794405_Untitled(1).jpg.fa6fe9c57e4fcbc07fd9a1baa6455294.jpg

If I said I was happy that would be a huge understatement, I was so excited to pick it up and went as soon as it was ready.

Arriving at SRD they gave me an incredible handover, a thick document of aftercare and a full detailing of it's tricks including switchable maps.

Driving it home was nothing short of incredible. I had no clue how rough the old map was until I drove this one. Finally...happy me!!

So I drove the car for a few days managing to put a couple of miles on it as a shake down for my upcoming Nurburgring trip.

Then today I took the car to work, it was a lovely warm day and the car soon got up to temperature. I then decided to enjoy a short bit of spirited driving, nothing crazy when disaster struck :(

There was a sudden and significant knocking noise and I had to stop instantly. It quickly became apparent it was the bottom end bearings and as a result the car was turned off.  

:rolleyes:

So that's up to date...not the update I expected to write, not the one I wanted to write but it's happened.

There have been a lot of disappointments with this car, a lot of which are listed here but the reality has been even worse and even more pain staking...so is this it? Is this the end of the road.

Dramatic I know and I'm weighing up all options but it's not looking great.

Absolutely gutted for you mate. Especially so close to your big roadtrip :(

I guess it's best to start with what you're looking at to put it right again and go from there? Is there a warranty on the engine at all? I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't want anything to do with the builder to be fair though!

Oh dear that is absolutely heart wrenching, my sincerest condolences. You have a fantastic package with many tasty parts, I'd sleep over it extensively before agreeing next steps. Hopefully it can be resurrected and made bullet proof for you to enjoy in perpetuity. We are all rooting for you.

I would 100% be getting someone else to rebuild that block and charging the engine previous 'garage' for the work.

I'd be fuming.. I just had my VVTi block forged by James @ HART Performance, hopefully be having its first start in the coming weeks :D

Let SRD analyse your block, I'm sure they will find why you're having bearing issues.

Maybe worth to check the not worned bearing gaps, they are maybe not in the tolerances but didn't failed yet...

Excepted from this, I personally don't think you could charge the builder... Especially if he didn't map the car afterwards...

Absolutely gutted for you mate. Especially so close to your big roadtrip :(

I guess it's best to start with what you're looking at to put it right again and go from there? Is there a warranty on the engine at all? I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't want anything to do with the builder to be fair though!

Yeah the trip's a complete write off now, certainly not happening in any capacity unfortunately. I don't have a suitable back-up vehicle this time round so hotels/tunnel etc is all lost.

I've had a quote through. To remove it, forge an engine, re-install and map again...It's a LOT of money.

There won't be any engine warranty whatsoever, considering all the issues I've had previously though, you're spot on when you say I would avoid him.

Sorry to read the sad news. Can you check the ecu logs to see if its picked up anything out of place.

I'm not sure if the Link logs unless you ask it to, I'll have to do some digging regarding that.

Oh dear that is absolutely heart wrenching, my sincerest condolences. You have a fantastic package with many tasty parts, I'd sleep over it extensively before agreeing next steps. Hopefully it can be resurrected and made bullet proof for you to enjoy in perpetuity. We are all rooting for you.

I've done a lot of sleeping on it and I'm struggling to find a way out of this one but the engine is about all it will take to, as you say, make it bulletprrof.

That sort of support is always warming to read so thanks, really means a lot.

I would 100% be getting someone else to rebuild that block and charging the engine previous 'garage' for the work.

I'd be fuming.. I just had my VVTi block forged by James @ HART Performance, hopefully be having its first start in the coming weeks :D

Oh if only, I wish I could. At this stage I'd settle for 50% of the cost but it'll never happen and I'd not let them near it again.

VVTi does indeed seem to be the way forward but justifying the cost when I'd already said the most recent big spend was the last for a long time.

Good luck with yours mate, I'm sure you're in safe hands.

Holy $#@!! Sorry go hear after all this. May as well continue, don't make any knee jerk decisions.

That's the stance the other half has taken, personally...I'm losing the fight now. It's been 6 years, lots of money and I have very little to show for it. Don't have many positive memories with it. I keep telling myself they're just around the corner but then the phrase 'throwing good money after bad' springs to mind.

Absolutely gutting mate. After all the work you’ve put into this Don’t give up now..

surly it wouldn’t take that much to put it right.

Thanks for the support mate. Unfortunately the quote I've had is rather substantial, it's reasonable for what's included and I guess if it's worth doing then it's worth doing right but that mentality doesn't make the funds appear. I'm still sleeping on it but I'm losing the will.

Really do appreciate the continued support however, it hasn't gone unnoticed.

Its worth stripping it down before you sell it. If its just a bearing that's failed and not had total material failure it might be a salvage job and not be a total right off (financially when you sell it)

In an ideal world mate, I'd agree. Trouble I have is that I now have no garage or facility to tackle such a task. I'm looking to buy a house...or at least we were until the world got turned upside down so god knows when I'll have space to tinker again.

Aw man, that's a sound no-one wants to hear. Hold on bud, you'll get it sorted eventually. Rooting for you too!

Really appreciate the positivity and the support. Thanks mate.

Let SRD analyse your block, I'm sure they will find why you're having bearing issues.

Maybe worth to check the not worned bearing gaps, they are maybe not in the tolerances but didn't failed yet...

Excepted from this, I personally don't think you could charge the builder... Especially if he didn't map the car afterwards...

Letting them get their hands on it is obviously the ideal solution but as mentioned, it all comes down to cost at the moment. I've chipped away at this as and when I could but recently, as can be seen from the thread, I had a big spending spree.

This was a lot of overtime and the such at work and ultimately I spent almost the lot haha.

Unfortunately if I was charging the builder this wouldn't be the only thing I'd charge him for, there's a lot of mistakes I've had to rectify along the way but alas he wouldn't pay up anyway.

If I was to sell it, as is, with a broken engine but everything else in tip/top shape, what do people think it would be worth?

I appreciate the engine is very much an unknown and as a result it's worth thinking of it as if there is no engine but everything else is present and correct

94 NA shell etc Resprayed with carbon boot etc

Rebuilt R154

TRD Diff

S366 turbo

FSM inlet

FSM dizzy delete

850cc injectors

Updated fuel system, wiring etc

BC coilovers

LS400 brakes

XXR wheels with new tyres

etc, etc, etc

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Just read this myself. Can’t believe the stuff you’ve been through.. welI actually I can relate a lot. Had a lot of crap to deal with and now sitting with a blown gearbox but it’s not all bad. Has some great memories.

honestly you’re probably better off either breaking it or selling it fully working. Selling a broken car is never going to be good value for you.

Fix it and see how you feel. That’s what I’m going to do. As i feel now I want to sell but who knows when it’s working on a sunny day

Part 33 - Weighing up my options

So the last update was almost a year ago now which unfortunately means another year the car has sat unused and sad. I have to say though, I appreciate the positivity from other members above and via PM, it is actually quite uplifting knowing people are rooting for you so to speak haha. 

It was recovered home whilst I pondered my options.

IMG_7452.jpeg.722d72a5c87d2af23ec6d8ab539b48a3.jpeg

I think it's fair to say that since the last update a LOT has changed in my life in general. 

The car blew up just as my other half and I were discussing a house purchase....timing eh 😑 The house purchase was planned to take place sometime towards the end of 2021 however I have worked a LOT of overtime (100hr weeks) and with a temporary promotion we actually put an offer in on a house in September and moved in February of this year ☺️

I've continued working silly hours (and am getting to the point where I'm going to have to slow down) but this has meant a kitty for the Supra is looking healthier....it wasn't enough though and as a result I decided to sell my beloved motorbike to top the kitty up further 😢

My thought process was that I can get another bike at some stage but wouldn't get another Supra if I sold that....

IMG_0772.jpeg.0f5450a8c0e9e3e8eb5ba5a952e3bc46.jpeg

I sorely miss it (especially as I presently have neither to use) but onwards I guess.

I've had a few small issues to sort including a very persistent leak on the drivers side B-pillar which resulted in a soaking wet seatbelt. 

I ended up with a combination of the rear quarter glass removed & resealed along with a new door seal and it's FIXED 😀 This is great news as it means I won't get wet when sitting in the car on the drive making 'brum' noises. 

IMG_0998.jpeg.33a3cf0566a1a51f186044474c627fe4.jpeg

Another thing I managed was to source some flat centre caps for my alloys. Hardly a priority I know but I have HATED the stock ones since purchasing the wheels and nobody offers a solution. 

I don't know what I'll do sticker wise yet (thoughts?) but they look so much better on the wheels!

IMG_1034.jpeg.02a3c80f3d14c85e62d7662631d90003.jpeg

IMG_1035.jpeg.f740541d5fdf2f94e2e4721123624292.jpeg

• Like 1

Part 34 - Back on track? I hope so!

SRD are going to save her! Lee has taken on the unenviable task of practically starting again haha. What with the upgrades he did last year there won't be much in the bay that's not SRD approved by the end of this This fills me with great confidence though and I'm really happy he's taken it on.

First thing was to source a vvti engine. I did so online (unseen) and fortunately it paid off.

Despite arriving on Lee's doorstep held on simply with clingfilm (no straps or ties) it stayed in one piece.

d72716b1-1ab2-4fbd-96fd-6179ad6bbb68.jpeg.a8b923e9d8e686622f3a952c90a86e77.jpeg

Lee and the team at SRD have been working their way through the engine; stripping it down, cleaning it up and now the build has begun!!!

4930f711-f937-4a68-bf31-7974bfe94aac.jpeg.b0f9eaac2da2c16749b280055c5fd9fa.jpeg

888a1663-c6a2-4a32-a459-9de706e438fa.jpeg.1ec156ff858947c9199930a1aac23045.jpeg

7dbb0fc4-cc15-4b98-85d1-320d05a1c5f2.jpeg.f1e99077212c782db06ad7217dd20a85.jpeg

547df3da-72a8-4491-b7f7-f187f69f4cbd.jpeg.5bd7134b0588144556c87ee555d2a62a.jpeg

I've gone for a better spec this time, not only with the vvti engine, the better bottom end but also some tasty head upgrades.

At present I think we have something like;

SRD forged bottom end; inc Manley pistons & Tuff rods. 

SRD head refresh; inc BC 272 cams, uprated springs & titanium retainers. 

BW S369 turbo (why not)

FIC 1000cc injectors. 

Coil conversion kit. 

4in downpipe, midpipe and cat back exhaust

Some other fancy bits like billet tensioners and tomei sump baffles.

I CAN NOT wait!! 

Oh and I found some TRD engine mounts that I've had for a million years so they'll get chucked on there too

IMG_0964.jpeg.4f94471331be0fe3cbb399624e65e1a1.jpeg

Watch this space 😉 

• Like 3

Yas. Queen.

Sounds like you’ve walked through the deepest depths of hell to get yourself back into a good position and ultimately keep the car/rebuild. Well done mate, hoping this one comes together smoothly for you 😎

18 hours ago, evinX said:

Nice glad to see shes being sorted 😎

Thanks. Yeah I'm pretty pleased too haha.

18 hours ago, Annabella said:

Where did you get the Vvti Na? And if you don't mind how much? 

eBay seller mate. There's a few breakers yards on there. I think I paid like £600 but that included delivery. A lot more expensive than my last GE engine which was free haha.

9 hours ago, Style said:

Yas. Queen.

Sounds like you’ve walked through the deepest depths of hell to get yourself back into a good position and ultimately keep the car/rebuild. Well done mate, hoping this one comes together smoothly for you 😎

Haha sometimes it has felt exactly like the pits of hell but I guess the car's been a constant factor in my life over the past 7 years....as has it being broken haha. 
Thanks for the well wishes, fingers crossed it will 🙂

8 hours ago, Noz said:

Very nice. What hp goals you aiming for

Honestly...I just want it to work....I want it to work so, so badly and to keep working for a long time now.

That really is my biggest aim however I'd like to think it'll make a good few more than it made last time 🙂 

• Like 1

• mharvey changed the title to mharvey's NA-T Journey