The mkiv Supra Owners Club

mharvey's NA-T Journey

mharvey

6 minutes ago, mharvey said:

Patience...I think it's just stubbornness or pig headedness at this stage haha. Thanks all the same Rider !

It has been said 🤣 

Thanks man ! It's been a long road but the engine bay is definitely the best bet. One day I want to spray the bay etc to really set it off. Thanks for reading !

Love the stock wing so that's a no and as for the carbon bonnet it's a no from me too. I have a carbon boot and ideally want to swap back to a stock one. 
It's cool and with the weave showing through i's a great talking point but it creaks a little and what not. 

Thanks for the suggestions though mate and for taking the time to read 👍

The only reason I mentioned carbon is because it's a superior material, half the price of stock and can still be painted so it'll look the same as stock. 🙂 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Big Supes said:

The only reason I mentioned carbon is because it's a superior material, half the price of stock and can still be painted so it'll look the same as stock. 🙂 

I hear you mate, like I say, theres a carbon boot on the car right now...and I regret it. It doesn't fit quite as well as stock (although it is fairly good for an aftermarket part) and it makes a racket as I travel down the road. 

It might be lighter but on a road car that just means that it moves about more, creaks and the sound insulation properties are not a patch on a stock one.

If you like Carbon I'll happily swap boots with you haha 🤣

26 minutes ago, mharvey said:

I hear you mate, like I say, theres a carbon boot on the car right now...and I regret it. It doesn't fit quite as well as stock (although it is fairly good for an aftermarket part) and it makes a racket as I travel down the road. 

It might be lighter but on a road car that just means that it moves about more, creaks and the sound insulation properties are not a patch on a stock one.

Oh man, I'm actually tempted. 😄 I'd be interested in pics if you're serious. 

30 minutes ago, mharvey said:

Can't wait to add sound proofing to the boot. Never thought about that before. Totally makes sense now though.

I'd rather no rattles and a nicer drive than a few grams off the overall weight.

32 minutes ago, Noz said:

Can't wait to add sound proofing to the boot. Never thought about that before. Totally makes sense now though.

I'd rather no rattles and a nicer drive than a few grams off the overall weight.

"A few grams" lol 

I take it you've never picked up a stock boot lid. 😅

• Haha 1

On 7/12/2022 at 11:09 PM, Big Supes said:

"A few grams" lol 

I take it you've never picked up a stock boot lid. 😅

Unless it makes the bootlid zero 🤣 

I'll probably double the weight when I add in all the insulation anyway lolz 

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

Part 41 - Painted

The Supra went to the bodyshop for repairs and paintwork, due to take 3 weeks...it took almost 3 months 😒

That being said she is at least finally back home. She looks better than she did, that's for sure haha.

If I'm honest it's not the 10/10 paint-job I know the chap is capable of BUT I'm fairly happy.

During the strip down you can see the lovely SRD under-trays I had fitted along with their intercooler and all the hard-pipes they did to fit it.

2b2c6851-a9fc-4a97-8492-f6e8fba89045.jpeg.ac87e7356460edc6561104ead2772952.jpeg

I had the bodyshop return all the lower plastics to OEM finish black. They had been colour coded during the previous paint-job but I wasn't a huge fan.

I'm much happier now however a few clips ended up broken and even some of the mounting points. £70 of Toyota clips later and a bit of Araldite and I managed to repair them quite tidily.

IMG_8726.jpeg.256a12dab49c26083f0d9cbdd756ffc1.jpeg

The bodyshop reckoned they could make a tidy repair of my old fiberglass splitter but I felt it was time for a change and fancies moving away from rigid fiberglass ones. 

I think the new RMM style one looks great and ties in with the newly black plastics. It is a bit lower and already catches heading up my drive but it flexes so shouldn't be too much of an issue. 

IMG_8731.jpeg.62f7fd60291a5a6f7523f2688a82893b.jpeg

I think the most pressing thing I need to do now is get some protection on the paintwork and the rest of the car desperately needs machine polishing (however everyone wants circa £500). 

I need to let the paints breathe for a few weeks supposedly anyway.

IMG_8722.jpeg.522789425b040a9c9db7347118677991.jpeg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, mharvey said:

Part 41 - Painted

The Supra went to the bodyshop for repairs and paintwork, due to take 3 weeks...it took almost 3 months 😒

That being said she is at least finally back home. She looks better than she did, that's for sure haha.

If I'm honest it's not the 10/10 paint-job I know the chap is capable of BUT I'm fairly happy.

During the strip down you can see the lovely SRD under-trays I had fitted along with their intercooler and all the hard-pipes they did to fit it.

2b2c6851-a9fc-4a97-8492-f6e8fba89045.jpeg.ac87e7356460edc6561104ead2772952.jpeg

I had the bodyshop return all the lower plastics to OEM finish black. They had been colour coded during the previous paint-job but I wasn't a huge fan.

I'm much happier now however a few clips ended up broken and even some of the mounting points. £70 of Toyota clips later and a bit of Araldite and I managed to repair them quite tidily.

IMG_8726.jpeg.256a12dab49c26083f0d9cbdd756ffc1.jpeg

The bodyshop reckoned they could make a tidy repair of my old fiberglass splitter but I felt it was time for a change and fancies moving away from rigid fiberglass ones. 

I think the new RMM style one looks great and ties in with the newly black plastics. It is a bit lower and already catches heading up my drive but it flexes so shouldn't be too much of an issue. 

IMG_8731.jpeg.62f7fd60291a5a6f7523f2688a82893b.jpeg

I think the most pressing thing I need to do now is get some protection on the paintwork and the rest of the car desperately needs machine polishing (however everyone wants circa £500). 

I need to let the paints breathe for a few weeks supposedly anyway.

IMG_8722.jpeg.522789425b040a9c9db7347118677991.jpeg

Very nice mate. 👍

Having had mine painted I can confirm the hardening/wait period before you can either PPF or ceramic coat it. Worth waiting as you don’t want to screw it up and have to do it all again! 😢

My bodywork took closer to a year so yours was still done in a quarter of the time mine was! lol. 😉 

Looking sharp.