The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The official Top Gear season 22 thread.

jamesmark

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
I thought it hilarious as well, however I was a little annoyed they didn't actually review any cars...

It's not a show about cars...why would they review them? It's about c*#king about and being on purposely dumb for cheap laughs...using the odd car. The only time they review a car is when it's worth north of £100k...

I'm the same where i think it's getting a bit more about making Jeremy clarkston funny than doing enough on interesting and new cars. I also have this image of David Cameron laughing at home on his couch at all clarkstons jokes for some reason (not in a good way).

I must admit though for all I complain about it I still enjoy watching it and the bit where the ambulance stretcher fired violently into the window and got stuck did genuinely make me laugh.

The reason I tolerate it is because most of the real car shows I like are all on YouTube, including;

Jay lenos garage

Chris Harris on cars

And the associated "drive" shows

And motor trend

If you've never seen any check the first two out for sure :thumbs:

It's getting a bit tedious now. They've done all the jokes to death. Even putting the latest supercar round the track seems to have taken a bit of a dive behind the clutching at comedic straw gags that stopped being funny two series ago. The Stig was interesting for a few years but even that is a bit stale. It used to be that I quoted "the only program I sit down and watch is top gear" to my mrs to justify having 7 hours of TV to myself a year. Now I am mildly looking forwards to the next series of the game of thrones and not particularly arsed that top gear has gained a couple more episodes this year.

Chris Harris on Cars is where it's at now - he's the best reviewer out there. Engaging character with a child-like enthusiasm which really speaks to most petrol heads. I just believe his reviews more than others. It's also interesting to hear him talk about previous generations of cars and what their failings were, which shock horror we never heard about at the time they were new (especially Ferrari's!).

It's a whole new thing...and if you've not watch his P1 video...you need to.

[video=youtube;ufVQ-UKZbro]

Hammond's patient delivery cannon, while his ambulance's wheels were still on fire, was the funniest thing I've seen on tv for an absolute age!

Yes, if they managed to get some car reviews in there somewhere, like Auto Express or Auto Car, then it may be of some use, but I do also like their specials too.

It's getting almost like Last of the Summer Wine in places; 3 mature men getting up to no good, but without the wrinkled stockings!