The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The Official 2015 F1 Thread

Nic

Had Lewis not been in the same team as him he would have been a double world champion today and we all know that

No point saying what if, you could say that about all the world champions before Lewis, had they not been in that car then they wouldn't of been world champion.

You have some vendetta against the guy ! He Started from the bottom, Now he is here, he lives his life in popular culture and has clearly grown massively since joining Mercedes. Strong opinions such as yourselves are whats wrong with the sport in my opinion, There has always been dominant eras, they generally produce the world champion. As the ESPN article states its happened for a long time. I like the guy for what he is doing and he is clearly a good business man, he has a growing celebrity status of which he keeps a clean image, his social media presence makes him feel like they know him and people will want to be like him, instead of the next big footballer.

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No point saying what if, you could say that about all the world champions before Lewis, had they not been in that car then they wouldn't of been world champion.

You have some vendetta against the guy ! He Started from the bottom, Now he is here, he lives his life in popular culture and has clearly grown massively since joining Mercedes. Strong opinions such as yourselves are whats wrong with the sport in my opinion, There has always been dominant eras, they generally produce the world champion. As the ESPN article states its happened for a long time. I like the guy for what he is doing and he is clearly a good business man, he has a growing celebrity status of which he keeps a clean image, his social media presence makes him feel like they know him and people will want to be like him, instead of the next big footballer.

Well said

vendetta - really - some of you hamsters are a sensitive and insecure bunch.

Started from the bottom of what - stevenage?? still part of the UK and last time I checked we were a 1st world country - I sense a desperation for a rags to riches story here.

Anyway - no doubt, he is a super quick and talented driver, driven for the top teams for all his career, is a 3 times WDC champion today.

Role model - not for my kids - and not a great F1 driver by my books.

thankfully I am entitled to my own opinion just as you are entitled to yours

enjoy :)

The extract below from this article : http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/34622031 sums it up for me.

. After all, the working-class kid from Stevenage is now Britain's richest sportsperson; he drives a racing car for a living; he dates pop stars; he hangs out with Rihanna and Jay-Z. And he still finds time to play the piano better than you.

Then there are those who question Hamilton's authenticity and motives, as if his hobbies are part of some meticulously planned plot to annoy as many people as possible. But maybe he just likes going to fashion shows? Or playing the piano? Just like you like pub quizzes or pottering around an allotment or getting steaming drunk at the weekend.

As the man himself often reminds us, Hamilton is wilfully unique. But without Hamilton, F1 would be a more monochrome world. More predictable, less spontaneous - more handled.

Lobbing a cap towards a disgruntled team-mate is hardly the stuff of a gripping biopic - Hunt, for example, ironed out a marshal at the 1977 Canadian Grand Prix - but in the scripted world of modern sport, it was spontaneous enough to generate plenty of frothy reaction.

That's the thing - last two seasons - he is clearly better than Rosberg. Best driver - not conclusive.

Plus like I said before take Hamilton out of that car and Rosberg would have been a double word champion.

Would that make Rosberg a better driver than Hamilton? No.

You don't have to like the guy, but you have to respect he's been the best driver over the last 2 seasons, and is a triple world champion. Something none of us can ever say.

Can't completely agree there, Swamps.

He's been the best driver in the Merc over the last 2 seasons, in the same way Vettel was the best driver in the Red Bull for the previous 4 seasons.

I agree with Imi, the best driver in F1 bit is up for debate, he's not been overly pushed.

Would like to see young Verstappen as team mate to Lewis.Being young and hungry for success, and not willing to back down easily it could make an interesting pairing:)

Problem for the team is, someone has to give. If no one does then they'll fail to finish a lot. Its an unwritten rule of team management that you have to have a guy in the team that will give in first. Nico is first rate at this.

Rosbergs day has been and gone and he knows it, he is playing second fiddle just like Webber and Barrichello did.

Must be quite depressing realising you've had the best car for 2 years and nothing to show for it and more of the same next year

It could be argued that Rosberg at least earnt his current position in F1. Hamilton is almost unique in that when he came into F1 not only did he step straight into car that could win races, he stepped straight into a car that could win the championship. Mclaren provided for him for years, then he abandoned them amidst the leaking of technical data.

Rosberg had to suffer for years in that piece of shit Williams, then for years in the Mercedes. Rosberg was not given the same oppurtunities earlier in his career, it's all about expectations, he probably never thought he would have the chance to win a single race, let alone challenge for a championship.

I'm pretty sure this post will be ignored or ridiculed, but I'm not sure that people realise that Hamilton and Rosberg have had completely different journeys in F1, probably the most ruthless and cutthroat business out there.

It could be argued that Rosberg at least earnt his current position in F1. Hamilton is almost unique in that when he came into F1 not only did he step straight into car that could win races, he stepped straight into a car that could win the championship. Mclaren provided for him for years, then he abandoned them amidst the leaking of technical data.

Rosberg had to suffer for years in that piece of shit Williams, then for years in the Mercedes. Rosberg was not given the same oppurtunities earlier in his career, it's all about expectations, he probably never thought he would have the chance to win a single race, let alone challenge for a championship.

I'm pretty sure this post will be ignored or ridiculed, but I'm not sure that people realise that Hamilton and Rosberg have had completely different journeys in F1, probably the most ruthless and cutthroat business out there.

Not sure I get you here, Nico is the son of an ex-WDC and has been in the same junior teams as Lewis at times. They've been on the same path however Nico was able to self fund and Lewis needed a form of scholarship. McLaren decided to go for it and they won a WDC (nearly 2 but for poor mgmt choices in '07) and the rest is history. Nico chose to be a Williams test driver to get he F1 seat. Obviously Keke's history with the team played a part there. Then Merc come into the sport and want a German driver. They buy the remnants of Brawn, the car that has just won the WCC/WDC, Nico goes there fully expecting A) a decent payday and B) a great car. Yes it didn't work out but at the same time McLaren is dieing as a force in F1. Lewis chose to leave McLaren because of the new regulations, with McLaren no longer a 'works' team he knew they would continue to struggle whereas Mercedes had an opportunity for a sudden upswing in results. The PU would be king. Nico was hanging on for the opportunity presented by the new regulations and Lewis joined him, they bet on this future and you could argue both won that gamble. LH abandoning McLaren is an interesting choice of words, and I disagree with them.

TL;DR = Both have had support getting to F1. Both gambled on Merc coming good.