The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Phil's SRD3000GT project thread

Phlukey

Cheers for the info abtin. I'd like to try and get a genuine one with the TRD badge if I can, but this is a good alternative if none come up.

Happy to help and good luck with the search I'm sure if your patient one will pop up. Absolutely love what you've done with the car, keep the updates coming.

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update. Lee has done a test fit of the 6870......

Should look great once all the ceramic coating and polishing is done :-)

Also, after a long talk with Lee, the decision has been made to take the build a bit further than originally planned. Unfortunately it will probably mean that the car won't be finished this summer, but she will be much better for the extra work once finished and I'd rather take the hit on time and do the best I can for the car.

The car will now be going to Simon (Baldy) to have the full bay smoothing treatment and also the underside will be getting some attention and going all white (similar to that seen in Jays build) with the subframes and suspension components all being removed and cleaned up. Can't wait to see the finished result :-)

Edited by Phlukey (see edit history)

Quick update. Lee has done a test fit of the 6870......

http://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy227/phlukey/Supra/4B4EA3E1-27D8-4A8F-BBC8-DBFAE51BAE09_zpsgo1ggo1x.jpg

http://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy227/phlukey/Supra/32858AB7-0D42-483E-A4A5-250120CB6082_zpsoyw7mhbg.jpg

http://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy227/phlukey/Supra/8818587F-2333-4E61-BC38-E3FA5D21602A_zpshf2ctj6c.jpg

http://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy227/phlukey/Supra/CCAF3B27-185F-40FB-A616-A6EE134E8155_zpsgc8you6a.jpg

http://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy227/phlukey/Supra/EC2062CB-54F4-4506-B2C1-036318E4E0CE_zpstokxowcy.jpg

Should look great once all the ceramic coating and polishing is done :-)

Also, after a long talk with Lee, the decision has been made to take the build a bit further than originally planned. Unfortunately it will probably mean that the car won't be finished this summer, but she will be much better for the extra work once finished and I'd rather take the hit on time and do the best I can for the car.

The car will now be going to Simon (Baldy) to have the full bay smoothing treatment and also the underside will be getting some attention and going all white (similar to that seen in Jays build) with the subframes and suspension components all being removed and cleaned up. Can't wait to see the finished result :-)

Seems a shame to miss out on driving it in the summer. Have you considered sticking to the original plan, and then sending it back to have the bay smoothed over the winter?

Cheers guys :thumbs:

Yes Kaan, she's having a LHD master cylinder fitted to get the brake lines away from the heat of the waste gates.

I was looking forward to having her back for the summer abtin, but I think this is the right thing to do and the right time to do it, as the engine is coming out anyways to have a main cap brace kit fitted to the bottom end. It's no biggie though, coz I'll still have my 350Z and motorbikes to play with during the summer :-)

Can't believe how much work you are undertaking on this car! I thought it was ready to rock and roll. May have been cheaper to buy a standard import and make it your own to begin with.

As much as I'm not a fan of naming cars, I do think you're missing a trick not re-naming it to 'The Phluken' :D

Good luck with your project, you are in safe hands. :)

Can't believe how much work you are undertaking on this car! I thought it was ready to rock and roll. May have been cheaper to buy a standard import and make it your own to begin with.

As much as I'm not a fan of naming cars, I do think you're missing a trick not re-naming it to 'The Phluken' :D

Good luck with your project, you are in safe hands. :)

That's what I was thinking. Why you would buy a car with so much work into it and at a large cost too only to strip it all and start again? Makes no sense. Would have been cheaper to start from scratch me thinks.

Good luck though. Interesting thread.

Cheers for the comments guys.

To address your questions.... first of all, I really wanted a TRD wide body car (always loved their aggressive stance), preferably in white and as you probably know, these are very rare be it factory original or after market replica and don't come up every day, especially in big single 6 aerotop form. Also decent TRD kits are no longer available from MVP or anywhere else now, so making my own wasn't possible and that's not to mention how much it would cost to do just spending on the bodywork alone. The only other car I had considered was an original white aerotop which was sold by Jurgen for somewhere around the £20k mark. This car was great but I thought it would be a big shame to mod and go for big power (which I knew I wanted) with a factory original TRD car and also it would have cost a lot of money to get it anywhere near the same level as Johns.

I'd always liked Johns car and the parts that had gone into the build and also the fact it was all documented on the forum. I went to see the car in person at Jurgens and managed to agree a price that I was happy to pay and that I thought was beneficial to me considering the sort of car I wanted, it's rarity and the value of the parts which were already on the car..... basically it was a lot less than it would have cost to build as is normally the case with Supra's at this level.

So once I had the car there were a few issues I wanted sorting, namely the gearbox which was crunching at high revs going into 3rd. Also there was an oil weep from the turbo seals which was causing it to smoke a bit at idle. I guessed it may need a rebuild on the turbo to rectify, but I was also considering changing to a smaller turbo to try and eliminate some of the lag and make the car a better drive for the street. So I took the car to SRD to have it checked over and to sort these issues as I knew it would be in good hands there.

Lee looked at the car and confirmed that the box seemed to have issues with synchros so I said I wanted to try out Jacks to rectify it as I hadn't seen many people use them and had heard great things about their work with the V160 which is notoriously difficult to overhaul and get right. Lee was very helpful with dealing with shipment of the box and I'm glad I went this route now as the work that was done by Jacks looks awesome.

Next the turbo. I spoke to Lee about options and he said it could be rebuilt, but that the new 6870 was on it's way and would probably make the same sort of power with much less lag, so the decision was made that money would be better spent on a new turbo kit and improving the drive of the car.

I also asked Lee to go through the car with a fine tooth comb to check it over. This has led to some other issues being found which have all been dealt with and sorted along the way. Don't get me wrong, the car was a great place to start for what I wanted I think, but to get it to how I want it and up to the same sort of standard as a lot of the other great Supra builds emerging in this country, the car needed this work and what better eye to judge where this work was needed and how to go about it than SRD.

Hopefully this helps to explain why I'm having so much done to a car that was already at a high level in the first place. I've sorted the initial issues and now I'm fine tuning it to make it my own and try and move it on to the next level.

At the end of the day, I'm happy with the choices I've made. I haven't seen another TRD car I like the look of more come up for sale since I bought it (and I had already been waiting about 4 years trust me lol) and I am loving the direction the car is headed in now :-)

Cheers guys, appreciate the kind words and support :thumbs:

We will definitely have to get together once the cars are finished. Will make for some awesome photos and maybe some good publicity for SRD....... not that they need it mind lol

I totally understand you wanting to focus on your house for the time being Luc, it's more of a priority for your family at the end of the day. You will have your own 6870 soon enough though, I have no doubt about it :D

Hoping you're right Scott :) The new gen 2 precision turbos have given great results in the states and on Jamie's car so far, so I'm hoping they'll do the same for mine.

GPro on here has got himself a 6870 too and has fitted it, just waiting for mapping now I think, so I'm keen to see what figures his puts out. Luc will have one fitted to his at some point too.

Also keen to see how the dyno results compare to Kaan's monster 7175 stroker setup :D

Hoping you're right Scott :) The new gen 2 precision turbos have given great results in the states and on Jamie's car so far, so I'm hoping they'll do the same for mine.

GPro on here has got himself a 6870 too and has fitted it, just waiting for mapping now I think, so I'm keen to see what figures his puts out. Luc will have one fitted to his at some point too.

Also keen to see how the dyno results compare to Kaan's monster 7175 stroker setup :D

Get yourself a high compression motor and you've got a fast spooling 1000hp with that turbo.

It will be certainly interesting to see how the results compare!

Just finished work and seen that abtin. Thanks for the heads up, think I may have missed out on it though, as someone else has called dibs first :(

Sorry mate I'll drop you a pm next time one pops up :)

Al Masey has one for say that you could always buy and have chromed, if your in a rush to get one.