Jays VVTi Single Turbo Paddleshift build thread

j_jza80

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've got to reassemble the interior tomorrow, so I'll post up some pics of all the dash in place, complete with the toucan, cal switch panel and the freshly retrimmed bits.

That'll be it for a while though :( at least I have some bits on my Corrado to keep me busy, but I'm going to feel like I have a limb missing with the Supra away for so long :(

Cheers :)

Well, today I've finally managed to get the dash all back together for the first time. I wasn't able to get the fog light relay setup working in time, but that can wait.

Anyway, this is what it now looks like :)

I'll get some better pics when I've got the car back :)

Really happy with how it's turned out, the illumination doesn't quite match the rest of the dash lights, but I should be able to make a yellow/orange filter which should correct that.

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)

I'm going to have to anyway at some point after she gets back. There's a lot of custom wiring behind the dash for the various switches, which for now is all connected using bullet connectors. That's fine for now, but I'll want to solder it all, heat shrink it, then wrap the various new bits of the loom with either cloth tape or self amalgamating tape for a factory finish :)

Maybe a job for next winter :)

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)

Cheers :)

I dropped the car off with Whifbitz on Monday, so hopefully it should all go smoothly... :)

One slight snag that came up is that I was told that Syvecs would only run cruise control with a basic on/off button. It has since emerged that it will in fact support a stalk, which would be preferable due to the speed control. This throws up its own issues though, as the cruise stalk on these steering wheels would be too close to my right hand paddleshifter for comfort. So I have sourced an alternative stalk that will hopefully work, and I will have to mount that on the steering column or cowl. This will do fine for me, as the only time I would ever use the cruise is at steady speeds on the motorway, so it really doesn't need to be wheel mounted. :)

Single turbo conversion :eyebrows:

The car is a daily, so having fully functional cruise control would be preferable over a button, especially given the number of average speed cameras around these days.

I've gone for a cruise stalk from a Hyundai coupe. It was inexpensive, looked like Toyota OEM, has all the functions I want and nothing extra, and is right handed (important, as the left hand side of the cowl has the 'tilt' lever in addition to the wiper stalk).

Just like this

Nothing much, just small details. He thinks I would be better served by using a FMIC, but I don't want to sacrifice the active spoiler, so I will stick with the Whifbitz SMIC. If it does become a seriously limiting factor, I'll look into getting either a CW SMIC or maybe look at a way of using a smaller FMIC to avoid the active spoiler mechanism.

How much of a real difference is there between the whifbitz smic and the CW one?

I don't think anyone has tested them 'back to back', but the Whifbitz one looks like it's decent quality. But the quality of the materials, the core design, and the welds will no doubt be a step up. I paid circa £250 for a brand new Whifbitz SMIC from a forum member, a CW one is circa £900 iirc, so quite a price difference.

Hi Jay,

apparently you ran some trackdays with your Supra, and as i'm a vvti tiptronic owner too, i was wondering how you proceed with your gbox ?

I mean, i suppose you drive in manual mode, but do you downshift with the paddle when braking ? I'm a bit concerned to do that as i don't know if it's made for ?

And your Supra looks stunning, like brand new, congrats for your work !

If i can give my POV, stay with a SMIC (Whifbitz or enventually CW), especially if you continue to book some trackdays. The cooling issues are common with FMICs, as it block the air flow to the radiator. If you don't plan to go over 600hp, it's not necessery

Hi Eival :)

I haven't done any track days as such, but I spent a few days at the Nurburgring last year :)

The Tiptronic box was very good on the Nurburgring :) I was driving in 'M' mode. I found the fastest way of driving was to use the paddles to downshift going into corners, but to allow the gearbox to automatically change up gears. The gearbox changes down gears very quickly when you're driving fast, so it is very well suited to this style of driving.

Of course, another benefit of the tiptronic is you never have to take your left hand off the steering wheel, something which both manual and auto owners have to do. It is a big plus on a track as busy and twisty as the Nurburgring. :)

Thanks for the compliment on the car, it is pretty much how I want it now. I will be sticking with the SMIC, although I will buy a Chris Wilson one if the Whifbitz one is restrictive :)

i'm sorry but i'm not sure to really understand :shrug:(indeed, i'm french and some turns of phrase are sometimes hard to understand ^^)

If i summarize, you down shift with your paddles when your gearbox already downshift automaticaly, to allow better acceleration in the end of the corner ?

Correct me if i'm wrong ;), and if i am, can you give me an example, maybe i could figure it out more easily :)

Thomas