Jays VVTi Single Turbo Paddleshift build thread

j_jza80

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's a very tidy / neat job you've made of that cal switch facia assembled mate, I like it :thumbs:

The silver knobs do let it down a tad but can you not get different types of knobs for the cal switches? The one in my motor is quite a bit different to yours.

Yes, I've already sourced (and just collected) the OEM Toyota knobs for it. This is now what it looks like :cool:

I finished assembling the cal switch panel last night, and got the illumination tested :)

Also, I've received my steering wheel back from being retrimmed at Hide n Seat in Durham. I decided to go for black nappa leather, with perforated leather details and dark grey stitching. Should tie in nicely with the green/grey dash panels and grey alcantara on my Recaros :cool:

I had them thicken the handbrake handle slightly.

Next on tye list of little jobs, is to sort the current rear fog setup. Currently, like most Imports, it has an aftermarket switch. I never had it mounted, because I always wanted a neater, more oem solution.

So, I'll be using a relay instead of a switch, activated when the front fogs are turned on. Part of the mot regs for fog lights means you need a warning lamp of some kind. I decided to mount a 5mm green led in the stock bulb failure warning light. So this is how it looks when activated.

It's pretty simple, but just helps neaten everything up. And it doesn't interfere with the warning lamp bulb.

Next job...

As the Syvecs uses a cal switch for traction control, I was left with a now redundant traction control switch on the dash. I decided that I'm going to use one of the buttons for the cruise control, and the other for rolling antilag :eyebrows:

So I started by stripping down the switch, and lightly sanding the paint off. The material underneath is translucent grey, and it had discoloured behind the lettering. Interestingly (or not :D) the discolouration that occurs on the OEM illuminated dash switches occurs on the outside, not the inside. So I had to sand that back further until all the discolouration had gone.

I then went to my local sticker supplier and had him make me some tiny 'cruise' and 'lag' stickers as masks. Once applied, this was then sprayed with a layer of satin black, followed by a layer of crackle black, followed by another satin black. This achieves a similar mild crackle effect as the factory switch surrounds. The buttons themselves are just satin black.

This is the finished surround, the illumination is just for highlighting the effect :)

I'm not 100% happy with the word 'lag', as the guy at the sticker place applied the masks (even though I didn't ask him to :rolleyes: ) and didn't get it right. I might revisit it at some point, but I'm happy with it for now :)

Just assembled the switch and fitted it, pretty happy with the results :)

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)

Cheers guys :)

Tonight so far I've finally got my heated seats fully working off the factory switch. As per this thread: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?327966-Heated-Seat-Switch-Pinout-and-PCB

I've wired the seat heaters through a couple of relays. I'll post up some pics and a wiring diagram to the linked thread, and get a mod to sticky it for anyone else who fancies retrofitting heated seats. :)

I've also been doing further work on the dash panel for mounting the Toucan display. I cut a slot in it for the wiring, which was almost heartbreaking as these were probably among the best set of facelift dash panels left, with no marks and every single tab still intact. :D

In addition to the above, I managed to get my retrimmed handbrake installed (much easier than I thought it would be, and also tightened it up a little), and pulled my dial cluster out to install my 220mph speedo I got from metal monkey, which matches the rest perfectly. I also took the opportunity to paint the needles, as they were looking decidedly faded.

Just been trying to sort out the fog light wiring today, which is proving much more difficult than anticipated. However the front fogs are wired, they don't seem to produce any voltage on any of the pins in the cabin :( more on that later

I did pick up my plug cover from the paintshop though. The stock turquoise colour wouldn't really fit in with the new engine bay scheme, and I also had to get rid of the words 'twin turbo' from it :D

Nice and oem! Have to say though, mounted a few toucans, never had to cut a hole in the actual dash panel before, just in the 'infill' piece placed in the vent hole.

Cheers :)

That's the clock hole that I've covered over, the air vent is still there :) and I've screwed the Toucan to the dash instead of using the swivel mount, so I would have had to drill it anyway :)