The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Jays VVTi Single Turbo Paddleshift build thread

j_jza80

The direction of the build has been decided by considering what I actually use the car for, and in that context, build on the best aspects of each of my previous Supras.

The only other major change I'll consider now will be either a Whifbitz or SRD gearbox swap. Not that there's anything wrong with the tiptronic / Paddleshift system I have, it's just a modern gearbox would better exploit the available power :)

Great plan for the future box upgrade.

If I had an auto, that would be on the top of my list.

Good luck for tomorrow

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cheers mate :)

I'm going to bide my time, hopefully a car will end up being broken that I can buy the conversion from. But I am keeping my eye on eBay for both boxes :)

Lee was saying the boxes they use shift quicker than the GTR's :O some serious kit. if I didn't have a 6speed I would be going that route. To be honest its still tempting now.

Great build a shame about your mapping though. Look forward to the results :)

Edited by Hitbox Junkie (see edit history)

Lee was saying the boxes they use shift quicker than the GTR's :O some serious kit. if I didn't have a 6speed I would be going that route. To be honest its still tempting now.

Great build a shame about your mapping though. Look forward to the results :)

I'm really torn between the Whifbitz and SRD setups. Both amazing gearboxes in their own ways. The big downside for me with the SRD setup is how rare and expensive the ISF gearboxes are. Obviously that is outweighed by the much lower initial cost.

Sorry guys, still haven't heard myself. I got a message earlier saying the fuel pressure was dropping off, but that's all I know. The single Bosch 044 in the car should be good for circa 600hp, and it's not a very old pump.

I'll update the thread as soon as I hear anything.

Mine made 600 before running out of fuel on the 044 but I don't think it actually ran out of fuel, I think it was more to do with either the restrictive nature of the stock fuel line or the pre/post 4k pump voltage power.

I'm part way through sorting all that out though so that I don't need to worry in future :)

With all that in mind though..... sounds like you might be making some very nice numbers! :eyebrows:

Sorry guys, still haven't heard myself. I got a message earlier saying the fuel pressure was dropping off, but that's all I know. The single Bosch 044 in the car should be good for circa 600hp, and it's not a very old pump.

That will more than likely be your fuel lines restricting flow at top end - I had an 800 hp rated pump but was restricted to 675/700 by the fuel lines. Hope it gets sorted for you Jay.

I'm really torn between the Whifbitz and SRD setups. Both amazing gearboxes in their own ways. The big downside for me with the SRD setup is how rare and expensive the ISF gearboxes are. Obviously that is outweighed by the much lower initial cost.

With SRD one there hardly any cutting or non at all to the tunnel to fit it :) also there be more as and when cars start to age or crash, but theres also the older 6speed box too :)

Hopefully your get better updates to your build soon :)

I had issues with my 044 when it was being mapped but only when pushing the limit. I did hit the fuel pressure alarm on the syvecs on the road a few times so I swapped it out for a walbro 485 was perfect after that was using stock fuel lines etc its actually worth just doing it for noise reasons the 485 is much quieter and all

I had issues with my 044 when it was being mapped but only when pushing the limit. I did hit the fuel pressure alarm on the syvecs on the road a few times so I swapped it out for a walbro 485 was perfect after that was using stock fuel lines etc its actually worth just doing it for noise reasons the 485 is much quieter and all

That is definitely one plus, the 044 is overly loud. Not so bad on a weekend car, but on a daily it does get on the nerves :D

So, I have an update now.

Reports on progress with the car have been delayed as Paul has been off, and Darren and Romain have been run off their feet with other stuff. But Pauls going to keep me in the loop now, which saves me hassling the others for updates :)

The fuel pump is being changed for a walbro one, which will solve the pressure issue, and also be quieter (this will be welcomed, as the Bosch pump is noisy!)

The car is suffering from high intake temps. This is seemingly because the Whifbitz SMIC is unable to cope with the demands of my setup, which I was warned about. So for now, Whifbitz are going to fit one of their fmic kits, which Paul has done me a great price on. I'll run this for a little while, and then maybe next winter I'll look into designing an intercooler/chargecooler setup that will allow me to refit the active spoiler.

The next issue is that there isn't enough inputs on the Syvecs S6 plus for all the stuff I wanted. So sadly I'm going to have to ditch the cal switch panel, and fuel pressure monitoring. But this way I can still select maps/track through the Toucan, and I will have a basic cruise control setup through a switch. Not quite as ideal as a stalk, but it's only really for the average speed cameras anyway.

So the car will either go in for mapping again on either Saturday or Monday. :)

Jay

The new pump will sort the fuelling problem. To save more work on rectifying fitting a front mount inter cooler could you not fit a Chris Wilson uprated smic which should handle your power requirements - just a thought.

Cheers mate :)

A CW intercooler *may* sort it, but as no doubt the temps are being contributed to by my unwrapped manifold and downpipe, I'd rather go with something that I know will work, and that Whifbitz have in stock.

Yes, Whifbitz have fitted a turbo blanket :)

I'm not going to wrap the manifold, as from what I've seen it seems to promote cracking.

The HKS kit comes with some wrapping for the downpipe, if Whifbitz haven't already done that then I will probably do that at some point.

I'll also look to either make a box for the air filter or move it

to the bumper duct. And I'll have my fabricator make up some heatshielding when the car goes in to have a flexi fitted just after the downpipe :)