The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Jays VVTi Single Turbo Paddleshift build thread

j_jza80

Very good quality parts spec :thumbs: you're going to need some sticky tyres and good suspension setup to get the power down.

Cheers Nic :)

I'm going to stick with the current setup of OEM Bilsteins and eibach springs for now as they are a good overall compromise. I'll be changing the rear tyres from 255/35/18 @34psi to 275/40/18 @32psi. There's the TRD diff I have to fit too.

Will eventually change to CW Bilsteins when these are on their way out, I personally don't rate adjustable coilovers for road cars.

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You would probably get away with the smaller ar on that turbo (96-ish?) but I don't think it'll matter much as it's a beauty. Apparently good for over 650hp now. Will easily hit your goals with plenty of headroom or scope if you want to take it further.

Stunning kit. What's your plans with the wrapping? I would recommend the DEi titanium wrap rather than the normal stuff. I used the normal stuff on the manifold and then the Ti wrap on the downpipe. It's SO much nicer and feels like it'll last a LOT longer.

Ceramic coatings are nice too right enough. Not so sure I would be trusting them on their own though.

Look forward to the updates :thumbs:

I won't be wrapping it. I'm looking at coatings for the turbine housing and downpipe, but the budget won't stretch to Zircotec. I'm thinking about leaving the manifold bare, as I don't want to do anything to encourage cracking, and to that end I will also be looking at bracing the turbo down the line.

Which manifolds were you using?

If anything, wrap is even worse for cracking, because the areas around the joins on the manifold become heatspots.

I'm even reluctant to run a turbo blanket, because these seem to cause housing cracks.

There are other factors too, like not running a flexi joint in the exhaust near the downpipe, and leaving the manifold to carry the weight of the turbo, downpipe etc. Some brackets and bracing will be a part of this build.

I'm actually erring on the side of just using some good VHT paint / stove paint, then using heatshields and heat sleeving to protect the surrounding components.

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)

I doubt very much you'll get away with leaving the manifold bare but it's worth a shot. I took my car out for a VERY brief drive (less than half a mile) and the engine bay was red hot just because I didn't have a tubby blanket on. The heat from it was insane.

Now that the tubby blanket is installed I can touch it :D

I guess the manifold is going to be even hotter?

The manifold, turbine housing and downpipe on my old single were all bare, and that ran perfectly :) that was a HKS kit with a Garrett GT3582r.

I wonder if it would be feasible to run a duct through the firewall to the trough under the windscreen scuttle? Surely that would then scavenge heat from the turbo area and draw it up and over the windscreen. :)

My setup was an HKS manifold, HKS wastegate (same as yours) HKS Type R FMIC and Garrett GT3582R AR .82 with a 4" PHR down pipe, screamer pipe. I was advised by my tuner (an HKS Pro Dealer) not to wrap the manifold, I just used a good quality blanket on the turbine housing. It was making around 550hp at 1.4bar and would be driven hard regularly in 30-40C temps in HK without missing a beat. The only heat related issue I did have whilst the car was being mapped were high coolant temps, so the Fluidyne radiator was dumped and replaced with a twin core Power Enterprise rad (with stock viscous fan) which brought temps down significantly..

Thanks guys :)

Don't really want a UK vent, or any other, as I really like the way the car looks now.

I'll have to look further into the firewall idea, but I'll get it all.up and running first, and see how it is. But theres plenty of cars around that have far greater heat management issues, so I'm not too worried.

The car will probably get a transmission swap at some point. Possibly a v161 if it ever becomes a garage Queen, otherwise it would be a toss up between the Whifbitz and SRD conversions. But I already have a spare tiptronic box, so this can wait.