The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Glanza_Mike's Clean White VVTI Supra Project!

Glanza_Mike

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't find it bad at all, just bolted the rails in, Sat the seats on and measured up from there. Bolted in fine, but unfortunately the way the mounts were welded on Jon's rails made them incompatible with my Recaros. With hindsight I wish I had sent them back to Jon to re-weld them, as i suspect the Bride drivers rail I have Will cause the same problem. :(

Such a nice day Today!! I decided it had to be spent outside doing more cleaning :)

I had a look at Ripped_fears thread Yesterday and saw how much nicer his front lip looked than mine because he had put some tyre shine or back to black kinda stuff on it so that was the first port of call for the day. When i finished that i realised just how much of a difference it made so basically did every single piece of rubber or plastic on the car lol

Started with the scuttle panel, which was dreadfully faded and just pale looking, i was using Autoglym trim and bumper gel and it works fantastic! Brings out such a nice finish! I then went and did all the rubber seals on both doors, boot and bonnet, wing mirrors, door handles, license plate holder, wiper blades you name it....i gelled it :D

Here's a pic half way through the scuttle panel:

You can see how much of a difference it makes!

Then i decided to give the headlights a go, i'd bought a polishing kit for a drill a months back, but because of the weather i didn't get round to doing it until Today. So i masked off the surrounding area and used Meguiars ultimate compound and it cleaned up incredibly well, i'm soooo happy with the difference :)

Here's a pic with one light done, i bet you can't guess which one..................

They came up so well that i decided to mask off the side lights too and give them a buff and they too came up lovely! :)

Her's a pic with everything done, you can also see the freshly gelled black lip too :cool:

The cars really starting to come together now, such a massive difference to when i bought it roughly 8 months ago, so i'm really happy :)

Some guy also came up to me in the gym, gave me his card and said he was a professional photographer and he'd like to do a photo shoot with my car to send pics to a few magazines and his University project. So I've got that to look forward to in about a months time also.

Unfortunately the brakes have been delayed though, the guy has received 3 of the calipers but the front left one is on back order so i'm not going to receive everything until the start of April now :( Can't wait to get those badboys fitted!

Thanks mate it certainly does! I wasn't all that keen on the ultimate compound for a while as i found normal T-Cut to be better (the scratch remover stuff not liquid) but i was getting short on that so tried the ultimate compound and it worked very well! I also used it Today for a few things before it started pissing down and it worked very well to be fair so i might start using it more :)

Car looks awesome mate and so clean! Gives me inspiration to get mine sorted, hopefully to a similar standard if possible. Good work!

Thanks mate, gotta keep em' clean :)

Stunning car! Great work on the headlights aswell, they've come up a treat. Keep up the good work :thumbs:

Cheers Chris, yours and ur Dads car is coming along nicely too, should fun when it's finished :)

Had a few little jobs to do Today, main one was sorting out the condition of the intercooler and pipework, i bought it second hand on here and the condition was just reasonable, and i'm not a great fan of reasonable lol.

So I whipped the bumper off and started the cleaning :) I ended up sanding and polishing the crash bar as well as the intercooler end tanks and all the fins lol I then did the same with the pipework. Before i got the bumper back on i also decided to polish up all the dirty bits on the car so like the metal around and under the headlights and the pieces where the bumper mounts on the sides, pretty happy with the outcome :)

Before:

After:

I also fitted some brand new indicators/sidelights that i bought last week, mine weren't actually bad at all and now I've cleaned them they look awesome but i was bored and buying stuff is more fun than not buying stuff :D So my old ones are for sale if anyone's interested, they are in excellent condition.

All done:

Going to try and do some sound deadening tomorrow, to reduce road and exhaust noise in car. I've done a few searches and it seems the best places are the wheel well, under rear seats and especially above the brake ducts behind the rear speakers, so i'll be back tomorrow to let you know how that goes :)

Today was the day of attempting to fit sound deadening in the rear to reduce road and exhaust noise, i didn't have all that much time but i managed to get some done. I started with removing all the seats and rear quarter pieces, found my lucky yen too :)

Then had a nice surprise when removing the rear quarter trim piece as i found i had upgraded tear speakers already :)

I started in the passenger side rear quarter after removing the speaker and seatbelt, i did some research and this is where people think a lot of the noise comes in through. So this is what it looked like to start with:

I put a small amount of damping mat on but i didn't think it needed too much here, mainly the 9mm stuff i thought to reduce this kind of noise.

[image

Then several coats of the proper 9mm thick sound proofing mat, covering everywhere i could reach and that was all done:

Then it was the turn of the rear bench under the seats, cleaned them up after this pic, before:

After:

And that was as far as i got Today. I'll get back into it next weekend and finish off the spare wheel well and drivers side quarter :)

I'm also starting to think aggressive stock body style may not be the way forward :( I keep looking at Rics car and i bloody love it, and i still love the do-luck front, so i'm undecided lol thoughts ?

Nice work mate.

Cheers mate :)

Another great update, keep up the goodwork :thumbs:

Where did you get your sound dedening from? It looks good stuff.

Thank you! I bought it from deadening.co.uk it's supposedly some of the best you can buy and cheaper than dynamat too which is a big bonus obviously. I've got the silent coat mat and the foam was either dodo liner or silent coat once again i can't remember, i got the thicker stuff though, the 9mm.

Great job on the headlights! Keep up the good work :)

Cheers mate :)

Thanks Mike, yet another job to add to my list :D

Haha, you and me both know our lists are never ending mate lol

Nicely done there :)

Cheers mate.

How long did the headlights take to polish? Something that me and dad need to do on his facelifts.

Not long at all Chris, id say no more than 5 minutes a light (not including masking) mashine polished. By hand it could take hours!

I did the very same thing today Mike but I used some B&Q flashing that Allan recommended, its probably not as effecting but loads cheaper. Thanks for the pics of the seats, I didn't get around to doing that yet but can now visualise the work.

Hah oh really? Which areas have you done mate? And have you noticed a difference with it? I have to buy more this week now as im running short on the foam stuff, i only originally bought it for the doors.

Another weekend filled with sound deadening goodness lol After this i'm almost done, just need to do behind the drivers rear quarter trim & wheel arch and it's all done.

So! I started with the spare wheel well!

Before:

Half way through:

Almost done:

Finished :)

That was all done Yesterday, this afternoon i spent another few hours doing the passenger door as i only did the drivers one previously. So......

Before:

During, cleaned all the black gunk off and even polished the door up because i'm weird and everything must be cleaned lol

Finished:

I didn't put as much of the black foam on this time as i did on the drivers door because i had to spend a while trimming some of it back as it interfered with the doorcard fitment. This passenger one went back on fine though :)

I also bought brand new heater control buttons from Amayama.com, got raped by ParcelForce but still worth it really because having nice bright white buttons has made suuuchhhh a nice difference in the car, they look fantastic :)

And that's about it for the updates this week! My brakes are almost ready finally!! Such a long time waiting, it'll all be worth it though, very excited lol I'm also on the lookout for a boostlogic exhaust if anyone knows where i can get one in the UK or Europe that'd be great? thanks

looking well

Thanks mate, now sell me that white R34 you have!!! :D