The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I hate these threads.....never thought I'd be here

Paul

3 hours ago, Supra2jze said:

Keep the car for another 4 years, you've done it before so I'm sure you can do it again 😅

Then come back to this thread in 4 years time & ask the same question.

You may just find you get close to £100,000 🤑

That's exactly what I'd do 100%, if it's sitting there doing nothing then hold onto it a little longer, prices are only going one way

14 hours ago, Paul said:

Bloody hell, let's just say the 40k price tag is now under review. Mine is a good 'un, want it to achieve it's real value.

I think unless it's incredibly low miles and completely original then anything north of £55k is a tall order. £70k in todays market is just dreaming in my opinion, I haven't seen anything advertised above £65k and that was for a low miles fresh import. £60k is the most I have seen a UK up for.

9 minutes ago, Tyson said:

I think unless it's incredibly low miles and completely original then anything north of £55k is a tall order. £70k in todays market is just dreaming in my opinion, I haven't seen anything advertised above £65k and that was for a low miles fresh import. £60k is the most I have seen a UK up for.

To be getting anything like that if i was buying i'd want it thoroughly inspected and have had some serious work done underneath. I'd imagine most mkiv's have got some nasty bits waiting to bite you now 

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Just now, Dnk said:

To be getting anything like that if i was buying i'd want it thoroughly inspected and have had some serious work done underneath. I doubt most mkiv's haven't got some nasty bits waiting to bite you now 

Agreed. Things like body kits (what's lurking beneath), seals, pipes, intercooler, suspension bits etc would all need a good check over as well as the normal things. Parts are not cheap and you could easily be £1000's in for a handful of bits if they need replacing.

14 hours ago, Paul said:

Bloody hell, let's just say the 40k price tag is now under review. Mine is a good 'un, want it to achieve it's real value.

Price is dictated by what’s available on the market. You cannot get a TT6 imported for less than £60k that’s an impossibility. For a U.K. spec you’re looking £60k+ easy.

not sure why there are some trying to lower the prices but you go by what you can get. If you can’t get an item anywhere and someone has one then they dictate the price. You will have to wait longer for a buyer as anything above £35k is outside of a the regular persons personal loan limit so you’ll be looking for people with the cash to stump up too.

I’d put it up for £65K at least and see how you go. Don’t listen to anyone telling you less as they’re just looking out for their own gain. Seen a lot of those types of Facebook which is sad.

I totally get why you would want to sell though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

True what you have said. But let's give Paul some data. 

Here is one of the only UK manuals sold this year. End of march, after lots of money spent on refreshing it and it sold for £47,250. 

https://www.silverstoneauctions.com/sa073-lot-426-1993-toyota-supra-twin-turbo-manual

The manual at £70k asked is being sold by a trader or a hidden home trader from High Wycombe, make up your mind about that. 

Any other UK manuals that have sold recently? 

18 minutes ago, MrGRT said:

True what you have said. But let's give Paul some data. 

Here is one of the only UK manuals sold this year. End of march, after lots of money spent on refreshing it and it sold for £47,250. 

https://www.silverstoneauctions.com/sa073-lot-426-1993-toyota-supra-twin-turbo-manual

The manual at £70k asked is being sold by a trader or a hidden home trader from High Wycombe, make up your mind about that. 

Any other UK manuals that have sold recently? 

I think that one sold for around 55k including fees

1 hour ago, JasonR24 said:

Price is dictated by what’s available on the market.

This is the problem I am having with insurance companies at the moment, trying to get them to entertain an agreed value despite providing adverts, receipts and photos.

These cars are increasing at a rate insurance companies appear uncomfortable with.

1 hour ago, JasonR24 said:

Price is dictated by what’s available on the market. You cannot get a TT6 imported for less than £60k that’s an impossibility. For a U.K. spec you’re looking £60k+ easy.

not sure why there are some trying to lower the prices but you go by what you can get. If you can’t get an item anywhere and someone has one then they dictate the price. You will have to wait longer for a buyer as anything above £35k is outside of a the regular persons personal loan limit so you’ll be looking for people with the cash to stump up too.

I’d put it up for £65K at least and see how you go. Don’t listen to anyone telling you less as they’re just looking out for their own gain. Seen a lot of those types of Facebook which is sad.

I totally get why you would want to sell though.

The same can be said for those who are selling, looking to get top money 🙂 I gain nothing by offering an honest and informed opinion, I am not looking to buy or sell, the only vested interest I have is in Agreed Valuations which would mean that the higher the value the better for me. Whilst it may cost that to import a new one, it does not automatically mean that one already here can be pitched at that price but it also doesn't mean it can't. The number of people looking to spend that kind of money on a Supra is an ever dwindling pool, many of whom already own one. Has anyone seen a supra sell for more then £50k in the UK, not advertised but actually sold for that price? 

Some valid points, I hadn't realised the values lately.

I agree that the 70K one might be a bit strong, and I appreciate that at this age it's most likely to need some age related items replaced. Lots to think about, whatever she's worth it's fairly clear it's more than the £40k I thought.

6 minutes ago, Paul said:

Some valid points, I hadn't realised the values lately.

I agree that the 70K one might be a bit strong, and I appreciate that at this age it's most likely to need some age related items replaced. Lots to think about, whatever she's worth it's fairly clear it's more than the £40k I thought.

I am always keeping an eye for Supra's in the classifieds for Agreed Valuation purposes and to see if any new UK cars pop up. There have only been 2 UK manuals for sale this Year, one at auction that sold for £47,250 mentioned above with lots of work done and another red one with low miles (48k miles) at £50k (unknown final sale price). Being UK Spec's biggest fan boy, I would be first on the band wagon to tell you if I genuinely believed it was worth £60, £65 or £70k , but it's just not an accurate reflection of the market right now. But I strongly advise you to do your own research and put it on for what you want for it even if the conclusion of that is £70k 😄

Jason is right, it is definitely a sellers market right now but the audience has also changed significantly. There's nothing to really compare it to right now apart from Jason's car, but potential buyers are also not going to have anything but past adverts to compare it to and conclude that it is way more than those that have sold before, assuming you are getting carried away with yourself. Catch 22.

Mike did say he was going to set up a formal valuations team as part of the forum subscription services then I could then tell you what its worth 😃

Until then, the hint is £40k could well be a bit of a bargain price. But, you need to know more about the car for a fuller and proper valuation like service history, what is the underneath like and cars that stand for years can develop issues that wouldn't occur with more regularly used examples. Its an inexact science, more a combination of all things Supra that will lead to a pitch perfect price.

The best way to test the market is to auction the car with a proper auction house (as in not eBay) as with Supras it's the dealers and auction prices that are running up the market price. Private buyers are more playing catch up.

1 hour ago, Tyson said:

I am always keeping an eye for Supra's in the classifieds for Agreed Valuation purposes and to see if any new UK cars pop up. There have only been 2 UK manuals for sale this Year, one at auction that sold for £47,250 mentioned above with lots of work done and another red one with low miles (48k miles) at £50k (unknown final sale price). Being UK Spec's biggest fan boy, I would be first on the band wagon to tell you if I genuinely believed it was worth £60, £65 or £70k , but it's just not an accurate reflection of the market right now. But I strongly advise you to do your own research and put it on for what you want for it even if the conclusion of that is £70k 😄

Jason is right, it is definitely a sellers market right now but the audience has also changed significantly. There's nothing to really compare it to right now apart from Jason's car, but potential buyers are also not going to have anything but past adverts to compare it to and conclude that it is way more than those that have sold before, assuming you are getting carried away with yourself. Catch 22.

I 100% agree that the market has changed and obviously I have a vested interest too however I based it on what I could get in the U.K. and imported and I just couldn’t find anything for less that was The same spec. If I’m wrong then I’d happily be proved wrong but so far anyone I’ve challenged can’t show me the info.

i definitely wasnt trying to say you or a forum member would try to scam the guy but some on Facebook almost certainly would!

My question is that my restored U.K. tt6 completely stock with 130k miles is not as desirable as a unrestored that’s had paint and looking tired underneath with 48k miles or have I got the wrong opinion?

If an absolutely concours unrestored U.K. tt6 was on the market I am 1st in the queue but I am yet to discover that car!

I have considered a few in the last 5 years and all cars I have enquired about have needed a complete underneath restoration but some are a better starting point than others!

Edited by blythmrk (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, blythmrk said:

My question is that my restored U.K. tt6 completely stock with 130k miles is not as desirable as a unrestored that’s had paint and looking tired underneath with 48k miles or have I got the wrong opinion?

If an absolutely concours unrestored U.K. tt6 was on the market I am 1st in the queue but I am yet to discover that car!

I have considered a few in the last 5 years and all cars I have enquired about have needed a complete underneath restoration but some are a better starting point than others!

For me yours would be more desirable as I am no collector and would be using it. I would not pay 70k for that one on the FB market, silly price but no surprise coming from that seller.  At that price range I start looking at other cars r8 v10, f355, f360, 991 carrera 2 to name but a few.

1 hour ago, blythmrk said:

For some collectors yes, originality is more important and for some, low miles is important. For others a restored example is worth more as long as it’s done right. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tyson said:

For some collectors yes, originality is more important and for some, low miles is important. For others a restored example is worth more as long as it’s done right. 

Tbh the low mileage, low owner cars are preferred and I completely understand that but the condition must match the mileage.

The most depressing thing is that I just spent 15 minutes reading this thread and was about to close my browser tab without having actually read any other interesting topics about people doing some mods on their cars or going ham on the highway 🙈

I always wanted to be a cool Supra guy and drive it like I stole it. But the sad reality is that me and probably a lot of others too are more interested in preservation and keeping them clean as showpieces now, rather than driving them for the very reasons why they aspired to own them. Sad times 😞

I've owned mine for 20 yrs plus, daily driver then weekend toy. I've done all the work on it to a high standard and as with all 'classics' there is always something more to do.

Yep it's gone away from oem over the years, paint, leather, wheels etc. as I've enjoyed adding my touch to it and improving (?) on what came out of the factory. Not sure where I go from here, think I need to get it MOT'd and go for a spin to decide.

• Like 2

On 8/9/2014 at 3:41 PM, Paul said:

IMG_0977.jpg

Ok just had a look at the pics...this is wow-tastic.

One thing I love about this place - some of the examples that we have as genuine enthusiasts are quite special indeed. This car would certainly be in the upper-tier bracket of whatever the top asking prices would be for any period. It's so damn yummy.

2 hours ago, Celicasaur said:

But the sad reality is that me and probably a lot of others too are more interested in preservation and keeping them clean as showpieces now, rather than driving them for the very reasons why they aspired to own them. Sad times 😞

I am in a good place with mine, it needs cosmetics if I wanted to get max price on selling but mechanically it's great and I can live with it's blemishes and I do still use it, but then I as lot's of long term owners paid a relative pittance.

All longer term owners must be in a appreciation situation, I spose that can make some worry or go into preserve mode, but surely not so much as if you are a recent £2-30K+ purchase price owner?  

I know if I put in the money to make it mint then I will be more nervous of the usage and inevitable degradation from there on, it might even make me more likely to sell I think?

Tough call to make if you are outside the market now, you have to really want one. Old days, cheap cars, good parts availability, active/helpful owners, lots of choice,  these days almost the reverse and prices about x4 higher! 

2 hours ago, Celicasaur said:

I always wanted to be a cool Supra guy and drive it like I stole it. But the sad reality is that me and probably a lot of others too are more interested in preservation and keeping them clean as showpieces now, rather than driving them for the very reasons why they aspired to own them. Sad times 😞

Mine arguably is my only car as i share the other car with the GF, I drive it every week in most weathers and enjoy it. I am ok with the prices going up but I just view minefor what I paid. I would rather enjoy it then worry about the value of it. 

1 hour ago, Celicasaur said:

Ok just had a look at the pics...this is wow-tastic.

One thing I love about this place - some of the examples that we have as genuine enthusiasts are quite special indeed. This car would certainly be in the upper-tier bracket of whatever the top asking prices would be for any period. It's so damn yummy.

Thanks, and that TRD steering wheel only has about 20 miles on it !